Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, etc. w/ Ultimate Rewards Points, 2014-2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread covers how to use Ultimate Reward Points for booking all types of travel via the Ultimate Rewards portal.

1) How do I book a ticket? Choose my airfare class?
Login to ultimaterewards.com
Click: Use points > Explore and Book Travel
Click the button that defaults to [1 Traveler, All]
Change "Class" (the first entry in the pull-down) from All to Business
Click: Close

2) How far in advance can I book?
In mid-November 2017 it was reported that airline reservations are available only 270 days in advance. Read HERE.

3) How do I book hotels?
Follow the steps above to log on. There are standard looking search engines offered for airfare, hotel, etc at that point.

4) How do I get the better redemption rate offered on some Chase cards?
The upper left corner of the UR page will show you which card you are logged in with. If you hold a Chase Sapphire Reserve card, you will be shown a better price on points bookings, as a 1.5 redemption rate is offered as one of the benefits of this card. If you log in to the UR portal from a different UR card, such as the Ink, you will not be offered this rate.

5) Where else can I find information?

This thread is a consolidated resource which covers topics including:

Fare buckets, here
Price differences between open market air fares and UR bookings, here
Selecting seat classes
Using cash and points to pay for tickets

and more.

The previous discussion, through 2016, can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ly-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, etc. w/ Ultimate Rewards Points, 2014-2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Xlr
I booked a hotel room at a Best Western through the Chase travel portal using UR points. When I checked out, the receipt from the hotel showed that it was paid by Amex.

Was this a mistake on their part, or does Chase actually use Amex to make certain travel bookings?
I think Chase UR Travel uses other travel agents like Expedia. Maybe whoever the other travel agent is used their company credit card (which happens to be an Amex card) to pay for the hotel?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xlr
I booked a hotel room at a Best Western through the Chase travel portal using UR points. When I checked out, the receipt from the hotel showed that it was paid by Amex.

Was this a mistake on their part, or does Chase actually use Amex to make certain travel bookings?
The payment is not made by Chase It is made by whoever the travel agency Connexion used to book your hotel. Connexion usually use the CHEAPEST provider for a particular booking, though often it is Expedia or Priceline, but people have reported seeing some rather obscure providers on their bookings.

I have booked hotel using UR. It turned out was Expedia handled it and the payment card was a Mastercard.

Whoever Connexion used pay the hotel with its company card which in this case happened to be an AMEX.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
J Fares Not Available on UR?

Looking to purchase a J fare tix via UR. Search results show only Y fares. This would be for a tix on the UA ps route, and in the time frame of January 2018.

Any idea why?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:14 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Ah, so Chase uses intermediaries for at least some UR bookings. Very interesting! Thanks
Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:56 pm

There's a box where you set the number of passengers. If you click that you can change the cabin to business.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by rrgg
There's a box where you set the number of passengers. If you click that you can change the cabin to business.
Thank you!

I was looking at the filter menu on the left side navigation.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:12 pm

Chase UR booking 24 hour cancellation policy

Does Chase UR allow to cancel flight booked using points within 24 hours? If yes, do they redeposit miles back into account?
Is this rules apply to non US carrier also?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Let me preface this by saying I recognize my issue is quite petty in comparison to what those who live in the region are dealing with. I booked a hotel in Napa using UR points (over a month ago) for 10/21-24, and I can't see keeping this reservation, since I have asthma. Has anyone had success in getting points refunded due to extenuating circumstances?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flights booked via Chase travel using UR points.

The reservation shows up right away on United, but just underneath the reservation confirmation number:

This reservation is not ticketed.
We will hold this reservation until midnight Wed., Oct. 11, 2017.

Do I need to call Chase, United?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xlr
Ah, so Chase uses intermediaries for at least some UR bookings. Very interesting! Thanks
Again it is NOT Chase that handles the booking. It never handles your travel booking itself. There is no such dept inside Chase for this function.

Chase contracts Connexions, one of the major companies in the Loyalty Program Redemption field.

https://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2015...-partners.html

The above blog piece touched the topic briefly despite the writer mis-spelt the name of the company, as well as the payment card used in your UR travel booking. It is NOT a Chase company card that pays Connexions - the payments are handled via other means per the contract, and is NOT settled on each booking individually. The payment card used to pay for your booking is the payment card of the Travel Provider which handled your booking.

http://cxloyalty.com/default.aspx

This is the company specializes in handling loyalty programs that has travels as point redemption option.
Citi TYP program uses the same company, fwiw.

Connexions itself then has many travel providers from very well-known names such as Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline etc to some quite obscure names that ordinary consumers have never heard about - based on WHOSE prices are the cheapest for the hotel rooms, then the booking goes to THAT provider.

Virtually ALL the UR or TYP bookings are booked by Connexions, and hotel rooms are thru various providers based on prices.

Remember, just like any other business, Connexions has incentives to use the cheapest provider for identical product. Therefore, the provider varies from booking to booking. Though it seems Expedia and Priceline seem to have the bulk of the bookings. I know of someone whose booking was done thru Priceline which in turn went thru Booking.com. He found that out when he needed to modify something on the booking. Booking.com is owned by Priceline, so that is not really a surprise.

Last edited by Happy; Oct 12, 2017 at 11:28 am
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:28 pm

Seat selection

Do I just have bad luck with seat selection on the portal, or is it garbage? I've booked 2 sets of flights through the portal: a simple round trip on B6, and a multi-city on EI.

B6 flights the portal gave me no option for seat selection, but I was able to pick seats on JetBlue's website.

The EI trip it shows me seat maps for 2 of the 4 segments, but when I pick seats and try to submit it gives me an error that I need to contact the airline. When I go to Aer Lingus' site, they say it was booked externally and I need to contact the booking site. When I tried calling Chase, they said there was nothing that they could do (claiming that EI doesn't give them any seat info for any of the flights) and suggested I wait until check-in to pick seats. Fingers crossed that I manage to avoid transatlantic flights in the middle seat...

Is this normal experience with the Chase portal? If so, makes me much less likely to want to book flights through them going forward.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:32 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by djheini
Do I just have bad luck with seat selection on the portal, or is it garbage? I've booked 2 sets of flights through the portal: a simple round trip on B6, and a multi-city on EI.

B6 flights the portal gave me no option for seat selection, but I was able to pick seats on JetBlue's website.

The EI trip it shows me seat maps for 2 of the 4 segments, but when I pick seats and try to submit it gives me an error that I need to contact the airline. When I go to Aer Lingus' site, they say it was booked externally and I need to contact the booking site. When I tried calling Chase, they said there was nothing that they could do (claiming that EI doesn't give them any seat info for any of the flights) and suggested I wait until check-in to pick seats. Fingers crossed that I manage to avoid transatlantic flights in the middle seat...

Is this normal experience with the Chase portal? If so, makes me much less likely to want to book flights through them going forward.
I find that normal you are not able to select seats during the booking process when booking through an online travel agent like Chase’s, Orbitz, Priceline, etc.

EDIT: I actually read your whole post now... I’d call EI to select them
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:27 pm

Booked a no cancellation/ no change hotel about a month ago using UR points. I checked the portal today and instead of costing 53,000 points, it now only wants 30,000 points. Has anyone ever had success with customer support? Possibly by filing a price protection claim? Thanks!

Update: Got transferred to 4 different depts. All said that there was nothing they could do. One said that if we were purchasing the hotel vs renting a room, we could have gotten $500 back.
Diplomatico likes this.

Last edited by TravelingNomads; Oct 22, 2017 at 2:08 pm
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by TravelingNomads
Booked a no cancellation/ no change hotel about a month ago using UR points. I checked the portal today and instead of costing 53,000 points, it now only wants 30,000 points. Has anyone ever had success with customer support? Possibly by filing a price protection claim? Thanks!

Update: Got transferred to 4 different depts. All said that there was nothing they could do. One said that if we were purchasing the hotel vs renting a room, we could have gotten $500 back.
Sorry, but that's funny.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:29 pm

Risk of Losing UR and Where to Transfer?

Kind of a lot of questions, my apologies in advance

I've had my business and personal bank accounts closed by Chase in the past. They also closed the Ink Plus account I opened under that business immediately after approval. My business is online gaming.

Completed 2x CSR, 3x Ink Plus, 2x MP (70k)
I have 4 more under 5/24 between my wife and will probably go with 2x CSP even though the 50k bonus isn't great. About to close one of the CSR's and will be closing the rest in 2018.

1) Does the CSP make sense with the 50k bonus or should I be saving my last two Chase cards for something better.
2) Should I be concerned about having cc accounts closed and losing points as a result? Seems like this is an easy yes, if so then...
3) Should I move the UR to an airline? UR would be used for business class to Europe from CA. We normally fly United. If yes then...
4) Should I xfr all the UR to United (we fly enough that they'll never expire) or are there better options out there. Seems like KrisFlyer might work but then I'd have to worry about miles expiring?

So confused... easy building up point balances, hard spending/protecting them

Edit: I think I jsut answered my own question. Can I xfr UR->Marriott->SPG and then jsut hold the points there with no downside? I'd prefer to not transfer them to an actual airline until I'm about to book my travel to maintain flexibility.

Thanks!

Last edited by Digable; Oct 25, 2017 at 3:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.