Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, etc. w/ Ultimate Rewards Points, 2014-2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread covers how to use Ultimate Reward Points for booking all types of travel via the Ultimate Rewards portal.

1) How do I book a ticket? Choose my airfare class?
Login to ultimaterewards.com
Click: Use points > Explore and Book Travel
Click the button that defaults to [1 Traveler, All]
Change "Class" (the first entry in the pull-down) from All to Business
Click: Close

2) How far in advance can I book?
In mid-November 2017 it was reported that airline reservations are available only 270 days in advance. Read HERE.

3) How do I book hotels?
Follow the steps above to log on. There are standard looking search engines offered for airfare, hotel, etc at that point.

4) How do I get the better redemption rate offered on some Chase cards?
The upper left corner of the UR page will show you which card you are logged in with. If you hold a Chase Sapphire Reserve card, you will be shown a better price on points bookings, as a 1.5 redemption rate is offered as one of the benefits of this card. If you log in to the UR portal from a different UR card, such as the Ink, you will not be offered this rate.

5) Where else can I find information?

This thread is a consolidated resource which covers topics including:

Fare buckets, here
Price differences between open market air fares and UR bookings, here
Selecting seat classes
Using cash and points to pay for tickets

and more.

The previous discussion, through 2016, can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ly-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, etc. w/ Ultimate Rewards Points, 2014-2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Digable
Kind of a lot of questions, my apologies in advance

I've had my business and personal bank accounts closed by Chase in the past. They also closed the Ink Plus account I opened under that business immediately after approval. My business is online gaming.

Completed 2x CSR, 3x Ink Plus, 2x MP (70k)
I have 4 more under 5/24 between my wife and will probably go with 2x CSP even though the 50k bonus isn't great. About to close one of the CSR's and will be closing the rest in 2018.

1) Does the CSP make sense with the 50k bonus or should I be saving my last two Chase cards for something better.
2) Should I be concerned about having cc accounts closed and losing points as a result? Seems like this is an easy yes, if so then...
3) Should I move the UR to an airline? UR would be used for business class to Europe from CA. We normally fly United. If yes then...
4) Should I xfr all the UR to United (we fly enough that they'll never expire) or are there better options out there. Seems like KrisFlyer might work but then I'd have to worry about miles expiring?

So confused... easy building up point balances, hard spending/protecting them

Edit: I think I jsut answered my own question. Can I xfr UR->Marriott->SPG and then jsut hold the points there with no downside? I'd prefer to not transfer them to an actual airline until I'm about to book my travel to maintain flexibility.

Thanks!
I don't think you'll be able to obtain a CSP. Chase's relatively new "one Sapphire" rule precludes you from obtaining any Sapphire product with 24 months of receiving the sign-up bonus from any other Sapphire product. Since the CSR has only been out a little over a year, you'll be waiting until 24 months after receiving that CSR bonus.

If you transfer UR to Marriott to SPG, you're going to take a significant cut. UR transfers to Marriott at 1:1, then Marriott transfers to SPG at 3:1. So you'll get .33 Starpoints per UR point, if my math is correct.

Contrast that with UR transfers at 1:1 to most airline partners. (Yes, you can get a 25% bonus on Starpoints transfers to airline partners but you're still losing on the transfer.)
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:14 pm

I booked Air canada flights US-YYZ round trip with UR points and I have GE. I entered my GE numbers on chase travel site but I couldn't enter the GE number on Air Canada Advance Passenger Information site.https://res.aircanada.ca/APIS/pnrinput.do. It won't allow me to enter it except for passport info.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:54 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
I booked Air canada flights US-YYZ round trip with UR points and I have GE......
Assuming you mean Global Entry, which includes TSA PreCheck, read here:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-precheck.html
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Assuming you mean Global Entry, which includes TSA PreCheck, read here:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-precheck.html
The AC site does not say where to enter the KTN, other than "provide it before or at check in".

The poster said he could not enter it online. My understanding is he has to check in with an agent and provide the KTN at the time of check in. Otherwise, just HOW AC system can determine his eligibility?
The AC TSA Precheck page is pretty worthless as those benefits are all known fact IF one is eligible. The problem is, HOW to make one's eligibility registered on AC site!
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
The AC site does not say where to enter the KTN, other than "provide it before or at check in".

The poster said he could not enter it online. My understanding is he has to check in with an agent and provide the KTN at the time of check in. Otherwise, just HOW AC system can determine his eligibility?
The AC TSA Precheck page is pretty worthless as those benefits are all known fact IF one is eligible. The problem is, HOW to make one's eligibility registered on AC site!
Since I already entered KTN# number at Chase travel site, I think the AC Advance Passenger Information website https://res.aircanada.ca/APIS/pnrinput.do didn't need my KTN # or DOB & therefore wouldn't let me enter them.

The space to enter DOB & KTN # is blocked. I could enter my name and passport info only.
On that Advance Passenger Information site I mentioned, you have to enter the booking reference code, first & last name first to fill your details.

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Oct 28, 2017 at 11:26 pm
Old Oct 29, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
What is wrong with the portal? I go to search for two business tickets sfo-nyc and get zero results for the day i'm looking for. It's two months out and there are sure as susan tickets avail. UR is such a piece of garbage for booking travel.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
Since I already entered KTN# number at Chase travel site, I think the AC Advance Passenger Information website https://res.aircanada.ca/APIS/pnrinput.do didn't need my KTN # or DOB & therefore wouldn't let me enter them.

The space to enter DOB & KTN # is blocked. I could enter my name and passport info only.
On that Advance Passenger Information site I mentioned, you have to enter the booking reference code, first & last name first to fill your details.
I am not sure the UR portal would transmit the info you entered to the airline site.

On the hotel booking even I entered the hotel chain's membership number, it never gets transmit to the hotel side.

For most airlines, if you have their FFP accounts, your profile should already have your DOB, KTN etc. If you have put in your FFP number on the booking made thru UR, say, a UA ticket with your MP number put in, and then you should be able to see your reservation on UA site once you log in your UA account, that way I am confident your KTN would be associated to your PNR correctly.

With AC, that they dont run their FFP, I dont know how this would work.

You will find out if AC has the needed info or not when you arrive for your flight. Personally I am not confident of such.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: United Silver | UA Explorer
Got my United Explorer card. (Question)

Just got my United Explorer card and I am using it to pay our mortgage (2100 a month) to get my bonus miles. Obviously paying it off right away.

But the question comes to another topic. Can I book travel for people that pay me and give them a discount on their ticket for going through me? Or is this frauding the miles agreement somehow? Id give some credit to people that are booking their flight and I am benefiting getting award miles on it. Like I said is this allowed? Or not? The miles that normally comes with the ticket will be the owner. I just want to know if taking advantage of the 2 miles per dollar spent @UAL.

Edit: Ill be advertising the service on Craigslist/facebook (friends only) locally if its allowed.

Last edited by chessanalyst; Oct 30, 2017 at 6:21 pm
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by chessanalyst
Can I book travel for people that pay me and give them a discount on their ticket for going through me?
One of the problems is in some times, the credit card charged will need to be presented at the counter for verification.

I don't see how you can do it.

Or is this frauding the miles agreement somehow?
Not fraud. But definitely misuse.

Edit: Ill be advertising the service on Craigslist/facebook (friends only) locally if its allowed.
This is destined for a total shutdown.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: United Silver | UA Explorer
Yep thanks this is what I was thinking. Wont do it.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:54 am

As far as the letter of the agreement it's a gray area but I'd say Chase has also worded their agreement carefully to allow them to shut down this sort of activity and they can also go after your other Chase accounts. I wouldn't risk it.

If you want to earn more miles, consider getting some of Chase's UR cards. Chase has cards that earn at higher rates than 1x on non-United spend. UR points transfer to MileagePlus at a 1:1 ratio though you will need a card like the Sapphire Preferred or Reserve to transfer. Plus, there are frequently sign up bonuses for UR cards.

Last edited by takeshi74; Oct 31, 2017 at 6:59 am
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by garykung
One of the problems is in some times, the credit card charged will need to be presented at the counter for verification.
What if the credit card account has been closed? Is the no-longer-valid card required and acceptable? What if the account has been closed and the card shredded?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K
United Basic Economy

When booking via the Chase Portal. It only shows Non basic economy flights. I'm OK with basic economy. Its a short flight (SFO-SEA) and we will only have backpacks. On United's website it lists $69 basic economy fares. On Chase Portal it shows the cheapest fare to be $109, which is the Non basic economy fare. I don't want to pay $40 more (x2). I called Chase and after about 15 mins on hold she said they are not able to book basic economy fares on United. But yet can book it on Delta. Is she correct? Has anyone been able to book basic economy for united via chase recently?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scklumb
When booking via the Chase Portal. It only shows Non basic economy flights. I'm OK with basic economy. Its a short flight (SFO-SEA) and we will only have backpacks. On United's website it lists $69 basic economy fares. On Chase Portal it shows the cheapest fare to be $109, which is the Non basic economy fare. I don't want to pay $40 more (x2). I called Chase and after about 15 mins on hold she said they are not able to book basic economy fares on United. But yet can book it on Delta. Is she correct? Has anyone been able to book basic economy for united via chase recently?
It could simply because UA does not let the travel portals to sell the Basic Economy.

Check OTAs such as Expedia to see if the same fares found on UA show up there or not. If it is not on Expedia then you have no option but buy it from UA site.

This happened to us a few months ago on a NON basic economy fare - UA site was much cheaper but UR site did not show such fare at all. mia suggested to check Expedia so I did - turned out the fare was NOT on Expedia either, hence the only way to buy the low fare (a regular economy) was on UA site.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K
I checked, expedia, Travelocity, priceline. They all list the $69 basic economy fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.