Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, etc. w/ Ultimate Rewards Points, 2014-2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread covers how to use Ultimate Reward Points for booking all types of travel via the Ultimate Rewards portal.

1) How do I book a ticket? Choose my airfare class?
Login to ultimaterewards.com
Click: Use points > Explore and Book Travel
Click the button that defaults to [1 Traveler, All]
Change "Class" (the first entry in the pull-down) from All to Business
Click: Close

2) How far in advance can I book?
In mid-November 2017 it was reported that airline reservations are available only 270 days in advance. Read HERE.

3) How do I book hotels?
Follow the steps above to log on. There are standard looking search engines offered for airfare, hotel, etc at that point.

4) How do I get the better redemption rate offered on some Chase cards?
The upper left corner of the UR page will show you which card you are logged in with. If you hold a Chase Sapphire Reserve card, you will be shown a better price on points bookings, as a 1.5 redemption rate is offered as one of the benefits of this card. If you log in to the UR portal from a different UR card, such as the Ink, you will not be offered this rate.

5) Where else can I find information?

This thread is a consolidated resource which covers topics including:

Fare buckets, here
Price differences between open market air fares and UR bookings, here
Selecting seat classes
Using cash and points to pay for tickets

and more.

The previous discussion, through 2016, can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ly-2015-a.html
Print Wikipost

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, etc. w/ Ultimate Rewards Points, 2014-2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:43 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Refund Flight within 24 Hours, Points/Cash Back?

Is that allowed with purchases through Chase Ultimate Rewards?

Thanks...
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Explore
Is that allowed with purchases through Chase Ultimate Rewards?

Thanks...
Try calling the airline first. Chase, via Connexions, buys your ticket with a credit card so you may be able to cancel w/ the airline if w/in 24 hrs. Someone reported doing that with a ticket purchased on AS. Good luck.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:09 am

One Way car rental fee

Now that the UR portal allows one-way car bookings, anyone have any experience doing it?

When I try to book, it gives the total charge payable with UR (or cash or split) and provides a $50 estimate of one-way fee to be charged at the counter. I have no idea if that $50 is really accurate or much higher!
And this is for Europcar, who doesn't even split out fees in their quote on their own website and said there's no definitive answer they can give me on how much those fees could be.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arunnandi
Now that the UR portal allows one-way car bookings, anyone have any experience doing it?

When I try to book, it gives the total charge payable with UR (or cash or split) and provides a $50 estimate of one-way fee to be charged at the counter. I have no idea if that $50 is really accurate or much higher!
And this is for Europcar, who doesn't even split out fees in their quote on their own website and said there's no definitive answer they can give me on how much those fees could be.
How would you expect the OTA or anyone here, would know the one-way drop off fee IF the rental car company itself would NOT quote itemized fees?

I were you I would book thru a different rental car company which DOES itemize fees.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:35 pm

Utlimate Rewards "value"

1) Do Ultimate Rewards have more value(buying power) if they are earned with certain cards? For example, I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve, a Freedom Unlimited, and a Business Ink. Are the points in any of the cards worth more than the others?

2) If I plan to cancel one or two of the cards, I need to move the points earned with those cards to a different Ultimate Rewards card, right?

Sorry that I know so little.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:27 am

Would you book SFO-BOS red-eye for 39,880 Chase UR points for Mint?

I'm looking to try and experience Jet Blue Mint (in the row 4 suite) on a red eye back from a concert next May, and since I have most of my points with United/Chase, I considered maybe redeeming 39,880 points at 1.5 cents per point via the travel portal for a $598.20 ticket cost. Flight time is 5 h 41 m.

Do you think this would be dumb to use?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
I wouldn’t redeem the points for less than 2c per mile at the very least. The only exception is if I need a few extra points to book a WN fight.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
OW or RT?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by iowa guy
1) Do Ultimate Rewards have more value(buying power) if they are earned with certain cards? For example, I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve, a Freedom Unlimited, and a Business Ink. Are the points in any of the cards worth more than the others?

2) If I plan to cancel one or two of the cards, I need to move the points earned with those cards to a different Ultimate Rewards card, right?

Sorry that I know so little.
1) UR points have the value of whichever card account they reside in, not which card earned them. Move all your points to the Reserve where they have the most value.

2) Right. But you should strongly consider downgrading to no-annual-fee cards instead of canceling. It's better for your credit, downgrading has a more generous annual fee refund policy, and the points will stay with the downgraded card.
StartinSanDiego likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
$0.015/point is the fixed redemption value for Sapphire Reserve cardholders. It doesn't matter which airline, cabin or route you redeem, it's the same monetary value.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
1) UR points have the value of whichever card account they reside in, not which card earned them. Move all your points to the Reserve where they have the most value.
Is there a chart available that shows the value of of UR points based upon the card they are saved in? For example, if I have 100,000 points in my Chase Sapphire Reserve card account, what are they worth if I transfer them to my Chase Freedom Unlimited?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Is there a chart available that shows the value of of UR points based upon the card they are saved in? For example, if I have 100,000 points in my Chase Sapphire Reserve card account, what are they worth if I transfer them to my Chase Freedom Unlimited?
I’m not sure if there’s a chart anywhere, but the Reserve can redeem points for travel at 1.5 cents each, Sapphire Preferred at 1.25 cents each, and Freedom Unlimited at 1 cent each, so earning with the FU and redeeming with the CSR nets you 2.25% return.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:50 am

Oh, I'm starting to catch on!

So if I downgrade from the Reserve, what would you recommend I downgrade to?

I'm not sure I understand this:
and the points will stay with the downgraded card.
Does that mean if I downgrade the Reserve to a something similar to the Freedom Unlimited, am I able to redeem at 1.5 cents each? If so, how is that reflected in my account?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest

Does that mean if I downgrade the Reserve to a something similar to the Freedom Unlimited, am I able to redeem at 1.5 cents each? If so, how is that reflected in my account?
I believe if you do a direct product change, your account number and points balance will remain the same and just the type of card will change, but I’m not 100% sure on that. (I think that was the case when I changed my no-AF Sapphire to a Freedom Unlimited.)

Only the Reserve gets the 1.5 cent redemption rate on travel. So, what I do is put all my general spending on the Freedom Unlimited and collect 1.5 points per dollar. Transfer the points to the CSR, and then go to redeem Ultimate Rewards, and you’ll be able to redeem them for travel at 1.5 cents per point, or for cash back/gift cards at 1 cent each. So, as an example, your 15,000 points (that you get for spending $10,000 on the FU) are worth $150 cash back, or $225 in travel through the Chase UR portal. That’s where I came up with the 2.25% redemption - it’s only for the Freedom Unlimited in conjunction with the Reserve. If you cancel the Reserve and redeem the points on the Freedom Unlimited Card, you only get the 1 cent per point rate. Personally I think this is one of the best credit card deals there is, if you don’t mind the $450 AF.

Oh, and in answer to your last question, the most reasonable downgrade path from the CS Reserve is to the Preferred - you get a slightly better redemption rate than the free cards (1.25 cents each) and bonus categories but not the travel perks like Priority Pass.

Last edited by strickerj; Dec 11, 2017 at 11:13 am
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

No, it does not. If you downgrade to the FU you can only redeem points for cash back (statement credit) at 1 cpp.....or just keep the points on the account. But you won't lose the points either.

To transfer to partner airlines/hotels or to redeem via the Chase UR portal, you must use one of the cards that has that functionality - CSR, CSP, CIP, etc.

You mentioned you have an INK business card. Which one? If it's the CIP then you can just transfer all of your points to that and still use the Chase portal at 1.25 cpp or transfer to partners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.