Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Ink Business Preferred (2016 - 2020 ARCHIVED)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2016, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
THIS THREAD IS NOW ARCHIVED.
PLEASE CONTINUE THE DISCUSSION HERE: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/2031752-chase-ink-business-preferred-2021-onward.html

================================================== ==================================
  • 100,000 Chase UR points after $15K spend in 3 months, with $95 annual fee (not waived the first year)

Additionally: For those who may be automatically excluded due to 5/24, the in-branch Business Rep can submit the application by Mail on your behalf (this avoids the application going through the computer check that would automatically exclude those who are already at 5/24.) First year's annual fee is not waived.

: Some members may have a referral link and would be very grateful if you would use it. See this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ost-first.html

1) Should I apply using the link above or go to a nearby brick and mortar branch?
Sometimes there are better offers to be had in the branch (as referenced above). Some in-branch apps had/have the $95 AF waived 1st yr (ymmv). You can also have your banker check to see if you are pre-approved for this card (green screen on the banker's log in). However, it is likely simpler/easier to do a Chase business credit application Online as applying in-branch often requires providing documentation (proof of business, etc).

2) How do the rewards differ from other INK cards?
The bonus categories on this card are different than other cards in the INK family, notably, this card does NOT get a bonus at Office Supply stores, but DOES get the following:

3 Points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent in combined purchases in the following categories each account anniversary year:

- Travel; including airfare, hotels, rental cars, train tickets, and taxis
- Shipping purchases
- Internet, cable and phone services
- Advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines

- 1 Point per $1 on all other purchases (with no limits on the number of points you can earn).

Also, notably, it follows the Sapphire Preferred personal card in offering a bonus when using points to book travel using the Ultimate Rewards web site: Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 towards travel.*

See discussion on using the UR portal, here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ts-2017-a.html
3) What are the insurance and other benefits provided by this card?
The Benefits Guide is here: https://www.chasebenefits.com/inkpreferred
4) Can I product change from a different INK Card?
Since this card is newly released, options may change in the future, but, at this time, Chase is not permitting product change to Ink Preferred at this time (reported on 11/23/16).
See our ongoing discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...16-onward.html
To check app. status find the numbers in the WIKI in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...onward-43.html

(888) 269-8690 - Business Credit Card Application Status Line, automated

================================================== ================================================== ==========================================

Landing page for all INK cards: https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ink-business-compare-cards/nov?CELL=6RRW&jp_cmp=cc/Ink-General_Brand_Exact_Ink_SEM_US_Desktop_Standard_NA/sea/p56076138828/Business+Card+-+Chase+-+Ink&ds_rl=1268784&ds_rl=1238366&ds_rl=1238420&gcl id=EAIaIQobChMIoIqR-oic7QIV1x6tBh3k0gDyEAAYASAAEgItB_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.d s

Print Wikipost

Chase Ink Business Preferred (2016 - 2020 ARCHIVED)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by jsl_313
This is another fallacy. Quite frequently, there's an opportunity of "get this card now or you'll never be able to get it later" - the SPG/Marriott merger and new card rules are a perfect example of this. Someone who waited to sign up for their cards until now, or even a year ago can't get a quarter of the value as someone who jumped at the opportunity to sign up for all of them back in 2018. Same exact thing with the 48 month language on Southwest and Sapphire bonuses with Chase. Then there's the case of certain cards that are churnable and won't be forever (but I won't get into that). The whole churning hobby is predicated on this idea: Things are getting tighter, not looser, so get your SUBs fast before they're less attainable.
I have an example of this, I waited around and got the CNB Crystal in 2018 at the end. I missed several years of $1200 reimbursements. Then they kill it this year. What if I had waited one more year. I would have missed out on $850 worth every year.
jsl_313 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:28 pm

My scenario absolutely makes practical sense for many in this thread and/or interested in getting value from credit card bonuses (there's an entire subreddit with over 200k members, just dedicated to churning).

My example was for 4 cards in 3 months, and that's definitely not out of the question... my wife and I have signed up for a total of 50 cards in the last two years, and she's still under 5/24. Although I'll admit it's much easier with 2 people, it's certainly possible to keep that going for several years. Amex alone probably has ~20 cards worth getting the bonus for (plus NLL offers & upgrade offers), and then several issuers besides Amex and Chase exist. Heck, I've received bonuses with a minimum value of $500 or more from 7 unique issuers.

This is another fallacy. Quite frequently, there's an opportunity of "get this card now or you'll never be able to get it later" - the SPG/Marriott merger and new card rules are a perfect example of this. Someone who waited to sign up for their cards until now, or even a year ago can't get a quarter of the value as someone who jumped at the opportunity to sign up for all of them back in 2018. Same exact thing with the 48 month language on Southwest and Sapphire bonuses with Chase. Then there's the case of certain cards that are churnable and won't be forever (but I won't get into that). The whole churning hobby is predicated on this idea: Things are getting tighter, not looser, so get your SUBs fast before they're less attainable.

I can understand why someone would want to just do a few cards per year to get some value back for their spending, without having to put the effort in to keep up with the rules and loopholes - but if we're talking about the value of offers, I think it's ok to dig a little deeper into why one is "better" than the other for many.

Like I said, the amount of spend is irrelevant if you're a business that will easily and effortlessly hit the $15k MSR. And even more reason if you have no interest in signing up for several cards. If that's the case, then by all means, go for it.
Like I said, churner talk. Not practical in shape of form. There are better things to do in life than abusing SUB system and potentially violating TC risking shut down. For those of us earning.points organically, there is no need. I don't want a few points in every airline and hotel chain in the World, thats not practical you end up wasting points.
​​​​
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by openwheelracing
Like I said, churner talk. Not practical in shape of form. There are better things to do in life than abusing SUB system and potentially violating TC risking shut down. For those of us earning.points organically, there is no need. I don't want a few points in every airline and hotel chain in the World, thats not practical you end up wasting points.
​​​​
Do you just take great pride in being sanctimonious or are you actually trying to make a point here? You're posting in a forum about credit card points and commenting on the value of signup bonuses - of course there are going to be opinions on it from a "churner's" perspective. My wife and I choose to make travel a part of our lives, and keeping up with the current offers and rules are how we make that happen. Like I said, I can understand why people don't want to put the time and effort into optimizing the way churners do, but you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about when you speak on the topic.

First, you don't have to violate T&Cs to get lots of signup bonuses. It's really quite simple - banks approve people for cards with big bonuses because they can swallow the cost due to how much they make from swipe fees and interest. What you're saying is basically the equivalent to telling people who intelligently use supermarket coupons that they're violating the system. Second, you say "a few points" as if organic spend somehow nets your more points than signup bonuses... I earned enough Marriott/SPG points in 2018 from 4 card bonuses alone to fund 20 nights in hotels that would've cost $450/night on average. We've used our various bonuses to travel to places that we couldn't have ever been able to see otherwise. So if you think a 60k signup bonus on a Delta card, for example is just a handful of spare points that will end up "wasted", I'll gladly take those points and turn it into a round-trip flight to Europe - no waste here.
beltway, RNE and pallhedge like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:10 pm

You disagree? Got it. No need to get angry. I stand corrected, not everyone here wants to churn 50 cards in 2 years like you. Time is valuable.

Since you brought it up, yes my organic spend nets more than your SUBs combined. Maybe I was too subtle about it. I have to admit, I have started to churn a little lately, but only with cards that earns high multiplier on my native spend. Yes, CIP is one of them and I would take 100k offer any day.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:38 pm

You disagree? Got it. No need to get angry. I stand corrected, not everyone here wants to churn 50 cards in 2 years like you. Time is valuable.

Since you brought it up, yes my organic spend nets more than your SUBs combined. Maybe I was too subtle about it. I have to admit, I have started to churn a little lately, but only with cards that earns high multiplier on my native spend. Yes, CIP is one of them and I would take 100k offer any day.
No anger here, just calling you out on dismissing an opinion that doesn’t agree with your own. Given that your organic spend nets millions of points per year, you must see that your advice/opinion is far less likely to be relevant to most people.

I agree, time is valuable. FWIW, some people spend their down time at work scrolling through social media, some people read the news, I spend it catching up on on travel/points forums and blogs. The way I see it, at least it’s a lucrative use of my time that supports a rewarding part of my life. It’s a hobby and I enjoy it. Most people who churn see it that way and make good use of their points.

edit: I’ll agree that there’s a diminishing return, but I haven’t hit it yet. It’s all dependent on how much you travel and how much effort/reward that next card has.
openwheelracing likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 4:25 pm

My example was for 4 cards in 3 months, and that's definitely not out of the question... my wife and I have signed up for a total of 50 cards in the last two years, and she's still under 5/24. Although I'll admit it's much easier with 2 people, it's certainly possible to keep that going for several years. Amex alone probably has ~20 cards worth getting the bonus for (plus NLL offers & upgrade offers), and then several issuers besides Amex and Chase exist. Heck, I've received bonuses with a minimum value of $500 or more from 7 unique issuers.
Teach me. New philosophy: always working on SUB.

True. I have AMEX SPG and SPG Biz (don't know their new name are after merger) and now locked out of Chase Marriott; lost SUB. Got to cancel, wait and be under 5/24 before can even apply for Chase Marriott card.

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
I have an example of this, I waited around and got the CNB Crystal in 2018 at the end. I missed several years of $1200 reimbursements. Then they kill it this year. What if I had waited one more year. I would have missed out on $850 worth every year.
Same. I waited and now the benefit is gone. Bright side (not really): no hard pull.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by robchow
Teach me. New philosophy: always working on SUB.
MS helps. Only worth going that hard with hotel and airline miles if they’re effortless to earn or if you think you’ll redeem them in the next year or two. Otherwise you end up earning points/miles that devalue before they’re spent.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 8:20 am

Hi. I’m 3/24 and have a 10+ year history with Chase. Currently have the CSR, Freedom, Freedom Unlimited and Ink Cash and don’t do manufactured spending on the cards. Total credit lines for these cards is about $50k. Annual income is $250k. Last Chase application was the CSR in May 2018.

I applied for the CIP on January 2 and have not heard anything about my application. When I first called the status line I got the 30 day message. After a few days it went to the 7-10 day message and has been stuck there since then. I don’t want to call.

I have about $5k of organic spend coming up in the next week or so and would love to use that to meet the spend requirement on the CIP. I’m also thinking of applying for the Hyatt card and maybe one of the United cards (biz or personal). Should I continue to wait on the CIP or should I apply for one of the other cards now so I can put my upcoming spending toward a sign up bonus?

Thanks.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 8:29 am

...only with cards that earns high multiplier on my native spend. Yes, CIP is one of them and I would take 100k offer any day.
The first $5000 spent on the 100k CIP offer (or the regular 80k CIP offer) earns 16 bonus UR points per $1. I suspect we all agree that this is a high multiplier. The next $10,000 spent only earns 2 bonus UR points per $1.

Ultimately what you're saying when you yearn for the 100k offer is that you consider 2 UR/$1 to be a "high multiplier" on your native spend. I simply don't agree. I would freely admit that in a world where CIP is the only card that exists, the 100k offer is better than the 80k offer. We just don't live in that world..

Last edited by pallhedge; Feb 8, 2020 at 8:30 am Reason: punctuation
Old Feb 8, 2020, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by uvasteph
I applied for the CIP on January 2 and have not heard anything about my application. When I first called the status line I got the 30 day message. After a few days it went to the 7-10 day message and has been stuck there since then. I don’t want to call.
"7 to 10 days" means that Chase sent you a letter in the mail explaining what sort of verification they needed or the reason(s) you may have been denied. Without knowing the contents of that letter, there's no way to guide you.

At this point, since it's been 30+ days, it might already be too late for any good to come from your original application.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 8:54 am

Thanks. That makes sense. I haven’t received a letter from a Chase, which is why I was wondering what was going on.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
The first $5000 spent on the 100k CIP offer (or the regular 80k CIP offer) earns 16 bonus UR points per $1. I suspect we all agree that this is a high multiplier. The next $10,000 spent only earns 2 bonus UR points per $1.

Ultimately what you're saying when you yearn for the 100k offer is that you consider 2 UR/$1 to be a "high multiplier" on your native spend. I simply don't agree. I would freely admit that in a world where CIP is the only card that exists, the 100k offer is better than the 80k offer. We just don't live in that world..
This is churner math. I specifically mentioned native spend with high multiplier, yet you purposely omit the native multiplier. You count only SUB. Again, not everyone churns that many cards. Some actually spend 15k easily and don't mind free 20k SUB.

Not everyone wants to churn every cobranded cards in 90 days.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by uvasteph
thanks. That makes sense. I haven’t received a letter from a chase, which is why i was wondering what was going on.
1-800-453-9719
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:37 am

I specifically mentioned native spend with high multiplier, yet you purposely omit the native multiplier. You only count SUB.
Because the native multiplier is constant regardless of the offer. We're not discussing the merits of CIP, we're talking about the specific SUB offer. I shouldn't need to explain that.

And it's not "churner math", it's just math. I laid it out for people and everyone can decide for themselves. For me, 2 extra UR per $ isn't worth diverting a full $10k of spend from other cards. For you, it is. We disagree. That's fine. But implying that simple arithmetic only applies to churners is being disingenuous to non-churners who can also do math.
beltway and jsl_313 like this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Because the native multiplier is constant regardless of the offer. We're not discussing the merits of CIP, we're talking about the specific SUB offer. I shouldn't need to explain that.

And it's not "churner math", it's just math. I laid it out for people and everyone can decide for themselves. For me, 2 extra UR per $ isn't worth diverting a full $10k of spend from other cards. For you, it is. We disagree. That's fine. But implying that simple arithmetic only applies to churners is being disingenuous to non-churners who can also do math.
When someone is manufacturing spend they are earning only 1% or worst if using 3rd party. This thread is about CIP and the 100k is specific to CIP. There are only a handful of other UR cards to churn, even with multiple players. I get it, you can get 80k UR +75k HHonors+50k Avios for spending $15k. What I am saying is I can get 100k UR plus whatever I want because of native spend. In my case, I would absolutely take the 100k offer.

For some people, there aren't enough cards in the World to churn. I don't want whatever co-branded cards you are churning. What you are describing is definition of churning, especially when MS is involved.

Last edited by openwheelracing; Feb 8, 2020 at 11:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.