Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve (100,000 points, $4,000 spend, 3 months)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is a continuation of:

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Chase Sapphire Reserve [Initial application frenzy]

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. [Verified in Post #2635] Also verified by Chase

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is three years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2019.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve (100,000 points, $4,000 spend, 3 months)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2016, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve - and they just sent me a metal card (not sure if it is solid metal) to replace my existing card.

Who would want this? Only practical effect I can see is that it is extra metal to set off various metal detectors - at airports or public buildings.

If they actually wanted to make the card more useful, they could have done something practical such as enabling the card for contactless payments.
Why not just add the card to your Apple Pay or Samsung Pay? We have it on both for contactless payments.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lainys
Why not just add the card to your Apple Pay or Samsung Pay? We have it on both for contactless payments.
A physical card doesn't run out of power, for one thing. Also, cashier training here...isn't the greatest.

That said, I can understand why Chase (and most other issuers) don't offer contactless--they have a possibly-undeserved bad security reputation and would likely result in most people demanding non-contactless replacements. Not to mention that contactless acceptance at US merchants is still very poor relative to other countries.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge
That coupon code doesn't appear to me to have anything to do with Visa Infinite. It says "XTERRA".
That's interesting. I get language and logos with Visa Infinite. The coupon is linked off the page upthread
https://www.nationalcar.com/en_US/ca...Number=5030849
Attached Images  
Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by freecia
That's interesting. I get language and logos with Visa Infinite. The coupon is linked off the page upthread
https://www.nationalcar.com/en_US/ca...Number=5030849
The Contract ID is Visa Infinite. That determines the rate. The Coupon is just a coupon. I did a test dummy booking using it. I don't have a Visa Infinite card.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 9:18 am

Just applying for the card now - however when I press submit a pop up briefly appears saying processing application before reverting to the submit page - is there now a glitch or am I doing something wrong?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by jonathanev
Just applying for the card now - however when I press submit a pop up briefly appears saying processing application before reverting to the submit page - is there now a glitch or am I doing something wrong?
This exact same thing happened to me my session had expired on the site I had to just reload it and log in and do it again.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 12:40 pm

Re contactless - I don't see how they are any less secure than non-contactless cards. No one asks for ID on small purchases, so there is no greater fraud potential. Ironically, in a place like the UK where contactless is very popular, the fraud potential is higher because no PIN is entered with contactless transactions, unlike normal transactions (contactless is limited to 30 UKP.)

I think people in the US would love contactless, as people are complaining about the extra time using chip cards in chip readers. Contactless is instantaneous.

Originally Posted by tmiw

That said, I can understand why Chase (and most other issuers) don't offer contactless--they have a possibly-undeserved bad security reputation and would likely result in most people demanding non-contactless replacements. Not to mention that contactless acceptance at US merchants is still very poor relative to other countries.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Re contactless - I don't see how they are any less secure than non-contactless cards. No one asks for ID on small purchases, so there is no greater fraud potential. Ironically, in a place like the UK where contactless is very popular, the fraud potential is higher because no PIN is entered with contactless transactions, unlike normal transactions (contactless is limited to 30 UKP.)

I think people in the US would love contactless, as people are complaining about the extra time using chip cards in chip readers. Contactless is instantaneous.
One thing to keep in mind is that we've done contactless before and it failed pretty badly. There was even that aborted MythBusters episode about their "insecurity". All of that wasn't that long ago either.

Also, I wonder if the complaints are overblown. I personally can count the number of times I've seen people use their phones to pay for stuff on one hand; one would think that it'd be way more common if people actually didn't want to use the chip.

More importantly, though, I think people seem to value "premium" more than contactless--which is why most (?) of Chase's AF cards are metal.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:18 pm

Using a phone to pay can be kind of awkward - you have to take the phone out, unlock it, open the app if you want to select which card you use, then proceed. Not really worth the extra steps to save the few seconds you have to leave the chip card in the machine. However, taking out the same card you would use to put in the chip reader and simply waving it over the machine for contactless payment is much easier. And, indeed, I have noticed people using contactless cards on a regular basis in the UK, but rarely see Android/Apple Pay being used in the UK.

Originally Posted by tmiw
Also, I wonder if the complaints are overblown. I personally can count the number of times I've seen people use their phones to pay for stuff on one hand; one would think that it'd be way more common if people actually didn't want to use the chip.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
OK with my third CSR statement, I'm over $4000 in spending. I paid off the first two statements and the third is due in about 12 days.

Do they give the 100k points after you pay off the $4000 worth of spending (in my case the third statement) or after $4000 worth of charges posted to the account?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
OK with my third CSR statement, I'm over $4000 in spending. I paid off the first two statements and the third is due in about 12 days.

Do they give the 100k points after you pay off the $4000 worth of spending (in my case the third statement) or after $4000 worth of charges posted to the account?
When the statement closes.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Meaning when they issue the statement or when I pay off the balance on the statement?

It closed about 10 days ago.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 2:48 pm

The points will appear a few days (up to a week) after the statement is available. You can confirm that you'll receive the points by going to the Rewards Dashboard in Ultimate Rewards. The dashboard shows how many points you'll earn on the next statement.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Meaning when they issue the statement or when I pay off the balance on the statement?

It closed about 10 days ago.
I just checked and my bonus points were listed as available on the statement that passed the $4,000 total.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Using a phone to pay can be kind of awkward - you have to take the phone out, unlock it, open the app if you want to select which card you use, then proceed. Not really worth the extra steps to save the few seconds you have to leave the chip card in the machine. However, taking out the same card you would use to put in the chip reader and simply waving it over the machine for contactless payment is much easier. And, indeed, I have noticed people using contactless cards on a regular basis in the UK, but rarely see Android/Apple Pay being used in the UK.
For the iPhone, you can double-press the Home button and it will immediately read your thumbprint and turn on the NFC radio. That doesn't seem more inconvenient to me than taking out a wallet, assuming you want to use your default card. Plus there's always the Apple Watch if taking your phone out of your pocket/purse is that much of a hassle.

The phone-based methods are also fairly superior in a few respects (different card number and the ability to suppress the signature requirement for large purchases being the big ones). I'm not surprised that they're trying to push those way more than card-based contactless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.