Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion continues HERE.

This card is under 5/24. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24) pre-approval, or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days) is now live:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests.

Schumer box on 8/15/2016:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...g.do?card=FL3P

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The purchases made that you receive the $300 travel credit (or $85/$100 trusted traveler program credits) for do count towards the minimum spend, but the annual fee does not.

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air Saver to everyone after production (currently (8/26) appears to have about a 3-day delay after approval before shipping.)
Print Wikipost

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

So I have heard via a very reliable source that Chase will be launching a new card within the next few months. It will be in the Sapphire lineup and will be based on travel and benefits. What I was told was it will be bonded metal (like the current Sapphire) not all metal (like the Ritz Card). They were going to make it all metal but balked at the last minute due to cost. I heard a fee of 300-400 as well but couldn't find out exactly how much. Lastly it will have 3X UR Points Per Dollar for travel. The name they are throwing around is the Sapphire Reserve and apparently the card looks pretty slick (for those that care about looks).

With the recent benefit reduction to the Citi Prestige this would be great time for Chase to launch a high end card with some similar benefits as the Prestige. I personally value UR Points over TYP Points so on a personal level depending on the benefits this would solidify me dropping the Prestige, even more so if the fee was 300 per year with some sort of airline incidentals / lounge / and global entry benefits.

The only thing I would worry about would be too many benefits being similar to their Ritz Card. However I would assume they would make more money off of a Chase card then a partner card, I could be totally wrong though. If they stick with some good travel benefits then this could compliment there hotel cards really well. Lastly the Sapphire lines has a pretty loyal following already and the blogs seem to drool over this card so it might not cannibalize their lineup to much.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The 3x points on travel would be along the lines of the Amex Gold Premier Rewards card with 3x points on airfare purchased from an airline but that card's AF is only 195$ and comes with the 100$ annual airline fee rebate so Chase will have to kick in some extras (such as covering all travel related expenses in the 3x points category) and maybe a hotel elite status which I imagine will be Marriott or Hyatt.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
The 3x points on travel would be along the lines of the Amex Gold Premier Rewards card with 3x points on airfare purchased from an airline but that card's AF is only 195$ and comes with the 100$ annual airline fee rebate so Chase will have to kick in some extras (such as covering all travel related expenses in the 3x points category) and maybe a hotel elite status which I imagine will be Marriott or Hyatt.
But Hyatt card already gives plat. Doubt it would give diamond. Marriott card gives silver and can buy up to gold, Ritz gives gold and can renew.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

I would hope that a new card would include some airline status' and hotel status'. Priority Pass would be nice too. Rental car primary coverage and rental car status would be huge. Basically a step up from the Sapphire Preferred with the addition of some new benefits would be a great addition to the Sapphire lineup.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by mvcore
I would hope that a new card would include some airline status' and hotel status'. Priority Pass would be nice too. Rental car primary coverage and rental car status would be huge. Basically a step up from the Sapphire Preferred with the addition of some new benefits would be a great addition to the Sapphire lineup.
I'm guessing that it's tough to do all that, and what was mentioned in the first post, at the $300–400 range with a sustainable product.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
I'm guessing that it's tough to do all that, and what was mentioned in the first post, at the $300–400 range with a sustainable product.
Well Rental Coverage is already an option on the Preferred so if it can be available on a 95 card it should be avail on a 300-400 card. Chase also has one of the best partnerships with hotels which might help. It would have to offer something to justify the cost though I'm just spitballing ideas of what I would like to see / think Chase should do.

The only thing I know from talking to my buddy is that the card will offer 3X points on travel.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Two thoughts I have (somewhat interconnected, I guess), assuming this is accurate - 1) Would UA club access come with it? Would make it more of a competitor with the AmEx plat, if so. 2) Maybe a mass market version of the Palladium card?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
It would be nice if Chase's budget went towards card benefits instead of paying bloggers affiliate fees.

Also, let's hope Chase thinks of launching a business version too, like AmEx Plat. I really wanted a business Freedom Unlimited for my everyday spend, but this could work too. Alas, they probably aren't reading Flyertalk.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:42 pm
Suspended

I wouldn't think about paying $300-400 for a card that only gives me 3x UR and nothing else.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

From what I was the told it sounds like it will build off of the Sapphire Preferred. This to me would make sense, Chase would then have three tiers of a Chase product line /non-cobranded card sort of how Citi has the prferred, premier, prestige product line. I asked my source/buddy to snag me some more info or literature if they could. I will report back anything I find out.

I see it being kinda hard to offer an airline specific lounge membership unless it is access with a ticket flying the airline's metal; I only see UA and BA being options (AMEX has Delta locked up and Citi / Barclays has American). Hotel status should be doable for chase they have deals with every brand except Hilton and will soon have SPG after the Marriott merger (if Marriot remains a partner with Chase). Some type of UA and BA status would be nice (again this is based on their current partnerships), and would allow for at least something in two separate airline alliances.

I think there will have to be some wow factor for the price point that I was told; points alone won't be enough for that price as some posters have mentioned.

Last edited by mvcore; Jul 25, 2016 at 9:42 pm Reason: Incorrect grammar
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
I see it being kinda hard to offer an airline specific lounge membership unless it is access with a ticket flying the airline's metal;
IIRC, this is how the DL SkyClub access works with the AmEx Plat.

I only see UA and BA being options (AMEX has Delta locked up and Citi / Barclays has American).
I don't think BA would be realistic. International airlines don't usually offer access to their lounges for credit card holders, IIRC. UA would be realistic, I think (and would probably be enough for most people).
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
IIRC, this is how the DL SkyClub access works with the AmEx Plat.

I don't think BA would be realistic. International airlines don't usually offer access to their lounges for credit card holders, IIRC. UA would be realistic, I think (and would probably be enough for most people).
Yea I figured UA would be the more realistic of the two options given their relationship with Chase, however with BA reducing Club World benefits due to the brexit there is always the potential they try and earn back some revenue or keep consumers loyal by creating some sort of enticement and lounge acces via a credit card might earn a decent amount of revenue. Again I know it's a long shot but one I think just maybe could be possible.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I think there will have to be some wow factor for the price point that I was told; points alone won't be enough for that price as some posters have mentioned.
Visa Infinite perhaps? City National's card has that so it wouldn't be totally unprecedented.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:12 am
Suspended

Does anyone think Chase will launch the card without having the 5/24 immediately in place for it?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:56 am

Programs: all
at that price, even with reduced benefits the Citi Prestige still offers $250 travel credit plus the 4th hotel night free and the global entry credit plus 3X miles

I think Chase Saphire will need to come up with something interesting that will have people want to keep the card after the first year. Personally if they added something like 2x miles on airline of your choice (unlimited for any spend) that would seal the deal for me. Or 1.5X on all spend for all airlines.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.