FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Chase Sapphire Reserve (100,000 points, $4,000 spend, 3 months) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1792975-chase-sapphire-reserve-100-000-points-4-000-spend-3-months.html)

edealinfo12345 Sep 22, 16 11:35 am

Chase Sapphire Reserve (100,000 points, $4,000 spend, 3 months)

THE CARD HAS MADE THE COVER STORY ON BLOOMBERG BUSINESS WEEK
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/featur...t-card-junkies

roundtree Sep 22, 16 11:55 am

Originally Posted by edealinfo12345 (Post 27248194)

Not sure how I'll go to sleep at night now...

https://assets.bwbx.io/images/users/.../-999x-999.gif

paperwastage Sep 22, 16 12:19 pm

During that time, Chase burned through its inventory of metal cards—a stock that was supposed to last 10 to 12 months.
crazy right? chase underestimated the demand

will they keep 100k signup forever or cut it? hmmm

RedElmo Sep 22, 16 12:23 pm

Oh no! Now more ppl will sign up!

Here comes devalued points

edealinfo12345 Sep 22, 16 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 27248441)
crazy right? chase underestimated the demand

Why would they cut the bonus? That would completely upset their "secret sauce" that is currently driving tens of thousands to sign up for it. They have also got all this free publicity and "adoration" with $0 spent on advertising. If they cut the bonus, it would be a game changer in the opposite direction.

100K points breach a psychological threshold. Chase knows that. Move it to 90K and the pendulum begins to swing (negatively) in the opposite direction.

Troopers Sep 22, 16 12:28 pm

Or enforce offer terms.

Originally Posted by edealinfo12345 (Post 27248467)
Why would they cut the bonus? That would completely upset their "secret sauce" that is currently driving tens of thousands to sign up for it. They have also got all this free publicity and "adoration" with $0 spent on advertising. If they cut the bonus, it would be a game changer in the opposite direction.

100K points breach a psychological threshold. Chase knows that. Move it to 90K and the pendulum begins to swing (negatively) in the opposite direction.

Agree..more likely to enforce offer terms.

yOyOYoo Sep 22, 16 12:35 pm

Maybe Chase will go the way of AMEX and punish MS activities (like the AMEX 100K leaked Platinum offer).

edealinfo12345 Sep 22, 16 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo (Post 27248517)
Maybe Chase will go the way of AMEX and punish MS activities (like the AMEX 100K leaked Platinum offer).

the link to the leaked 100K platinum offer?

Troopers Sep 22, 16 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo (Post 27248517)

I think so...there is no better card to churn or abuse than the Reserve.

Originally Posted by edealinfo12345 (Post 27248577)
the link to the leaked 100K platinum offer?

Link's dead but here's the thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-plat-usa.html

STS-134 Sep 22, 16 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by edealinfo12345 (Post 27248194)

This image from the article says it all:

https://assets.bwbx.io/images/users/...g/v0/-1x-1.png

Chase has blown by Amex in charge volume. It's not hard to see why: Amex doesn't really try to get me to use my Platinum card. It offers a lame 1 MR point per dollar on everything except for special offers, and each point is worth, at most, about 1 cent. So I pretty much only use the thing for special offers.

mia Sep 22, 16 1:01 pm

will they keep 100k signup forever or cut it?

Nothing is forever. Chase is trying to replicate the buzz surrounding the introduction of the refreshed British Airways VISA in 2009. In that case Chase was able to get press coverage before the card launched. The Flyertalk thread is HERE.

Chase has bungled the Reserve rollout. They launched three new cards simultaneously (Reserve, JPM Reserve and refreshed Ritz Carlton). All three are made of non-standard materials, and now they don't have enough to fill the orders. (Underestimating demand sounds like a nice problem to have, but this is a serious error.) Chase also bundled Priority Pass with all three of these cards, Collinson cannot ship the membership cards timely, and Chase inexplicably opted out of the electronic version which would have made this much less important. Another misjudgement.

Is this offer a good deal for us? Absolutely, $450 fee with $600 rebate and 100,000 points ^. Is it a success for Chase? They won't know until renewal time in August 2017.

Troopers Sep 22, 16 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 27248628)
Is it a success for Chase? They won't know until renewal time in August 2017.

I'm guessing it will be a success...the number of card holders that don't utilize $150 in benefits or carry a balance is >>>>> than the number of card holders that cancel before renewal time.

sdsearch Sep 22, 16 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134 (Post 27248610)
Amex doesn't really try to get me to use my Platinum card. It offers a lame 1 MR point per dollar on everything except for special offers, and each point is worth, at most, about 1 cent. So I pretty much only use the thing for special offers.

Which is why I've never bothered with the Amex Platinum card. The no-AF Everyday card gives 2.4 MR points per dollar on groceries and 1.2 MR points per dollar on everything else (not factoring in special offers) if you make 20 purchases per billing cycle, and the $95 AF Everyday Preferred card gives 4.5 MR points per dollar on groceries, 3 MR points on gas, and 1.5 MR points per dollar on everything else (not factoring in special offers) if you make 30 purchases per billing cycle. I can't think of any higher-AF Amex card that comes close, let alone surpassing that, for most categories.

It's ironic that the best earning on most stuff with Amex is on lower-priced cards. (As is the case with Chase, though not to such an extreme degree perhaps, with Freedom rotating 5x with no AF and Freedom Unlimited always 1.5x with no AF and maybe throwing in $95 AF Ink for some more categories.)

And before you mention that you need higher-cost cards at both Amex and Chase for the travel category, yes, perhaps there, but Citi has the $95 AF TYP Premier which has 3x on "a broader definition of travel" plus 2x on dining and entertainment. So if you don't find the weirdnesses of the TYP program (mostly foreign partners, points evaporate 60 days after card cancellation even if transferred to another card, etc), you can get most categories into higher transferrable-point earning for $95 AF or less per card in one program or another.

roundtree Sep 22, 16 1:59 pm

Nothing is forever.

No question, the offer should end at some point. It would be unprecedented to keep that offer available to all comers. I would think there may be targeted offers floating out there, but nothing available 24/7/365.

Chase has bungled the Reserve rollout. They launched three new cards simultaneously (Reserve, JPM Reserve and refreshed Ritz Carlton). All three are made of non-standard materials, and now they don't have enough to fill the orders. (Underestimating demand sounds like a nice problem to have, but this is a serious error.) Chase also bundled Priority Pass with all three of these cards, Collinson cannot ship the membership cards timely, and Chase inexplicably opted out of the electronic version which would have made this much less important. Another misjudgement.

In part, Chase could have really stuck it to Amex and Citi if they had executed everything 100%. Still, I think you don't acknowledge just how much good pub this has given Chase in the mainstream, compared to all of us whiners here on FT (me especially) fretting about whether we'll get approved and when the card will get here. It may be flawed, but the net result will be huge for Chase, IMO.

Is this offer a good deal for us? Absolutely, $450 fee with $600 rebate and 100,000 points ^. Is it a success for Chase? They won't know until renewal time in August 2017.

I think they can already tell, if people are rotating any balances to chase the 100k bonus. They'll know far in the advance. Any amount of bonus and benefits has to pale in comparison to the interest paid to Chase. I certainly hope so, given that I don't want the card to be nerfed in the near future.

edealinfo12345 Sep 22, 16 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by roundtree (Post 27248875)
No question, the offer should end at some point. It would be unprecedented to keep that offer available to all comers. I would think there may be targeted offers floating out there, but nothing available 24/7/365.

So, in your opinion, when will the 24/7/365 offer end?