FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Chase Sapphire Reserve [Initial application frenzy] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1787207-chase-sapphire-reserve-initial-application-frenzy.html)

danpeake Aug 23, 2016 10:53 pm

I just got a notice from UPS that I have a package being delivered from Chase tomorrow (Wednesday). I was approved for the Chase Reserve card on Monday, so I assume the UPS envelope has to be the card. It was mailed late Tuesday and is being overnighted so I should get it tomorrow. Looks like they're aiming to get these out fast.

I did not request overnighting and was told the standard 7-10 business days to received the card.

giesen5 Aug 23, 2016 10:55 pm

Quick question about AU's. How soon can I remove them? Let's say I got a card 3-4 months ago and immediately added the AU to get the additional mileage bonus. Can I remove the AU now and not be penalized?

StatusChallenged Aug 23, 2016 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by mymilesandpoints (Post 27110168)
I just want to add my data points in here and some conclusions I can draw.

I am a 7/24, with a FICO score of 740+. 3 months ago I tried applying for a Chase United Club card and was denied online for having "too many accounts". A call to the reconsideration desk yielded nothing, thus falling under the 5/24 sword.

Having seen all the coverage over the last 2 days, I took everyone's advice and went to the branch today (Day 2) after work. It seems like the branch in Tribeca has quite a fair bit of people applying for the Chase Sapphire Reserve to the point where one of the guys waiting in the waiting area chuckled when I mentioned to the banker I was there to see if I was pre-approved for Chase Reserve. I had a conversation with him and he mentioned that he was way over 5/24 and also trying to see if he can snag an offer from the branch. He went first, and when he came back he said he was denied. I went next, and thankfully, I was prequalified for not just the Chase Reserve, but apparently also the Chase United Club which I was denied 3 months ago.

This is where, I think it might be interesting. Yes I was approved, but it seems from the gentleman's experience before me , it wasn't just about walking into the branch. There must be something more to why I was pre-approved and he wasn't. When I read the terms and conditions that the banker printed out for me, I noticed something interesting. On the sheet called "Disclosure", it says: "You were selected for ... based on 1) information in your credit report or 2) an existing Chase relationship. To determine which selection method applied to you, please see the 'Notice About this offer' section in the Credit Card Terms & Conditions."

So i flipped to the T&C, and lo and behold, in extremely tiny print, it says, "you were selected for this offer based on your existing relationship with Chase."

I don't have Chase Private Client, I do not have $10,000 with Chase in a checking account. I do not even have direct deposit set up with them. All I had that I know of my 'relationship' with them is 1) a checking account since 2009, 2) a chase sapphire preferred credit card since 2013, and 3) a regular payment of my credit card since 2013 - no carry over balance ever, always pay my bills.

Thus, I would posit that the way pre-qualifying works in-branch is NOT based on the 5/24 rule (they didn't even ask for a social security number), but based on some kind of relationship metric internally.

Hope my data point is useful for any one out there who might have failed with 5/24, that maybe there's another chance.

It sounded like based on a few reports if you have a Chase relationship with them and haven't applied for a Chase card in 6 months, it could be a factor for being preapproved. I unfortunately got an ink 4 months ago, but besides that got 2 chase apps falling off next month from 2/2016. I will be checking back in september to see if it's preapproved and apply. If rejected, I'll have to wait until 11/2016 to check again for preapprovals, and also can PC my CSP to CSR by that month.

mjb59463 Aug 23, 2016 11:16 pm

Stats:
Online Application
CPC: No
5/24: No (3/24)
Score: 710
Income: 65k

Instant Approve for 11k

Also downgraded my CSP to Freedom Unlimited

reverted Aug 23, 2016 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by giesen5 (Post 27110712)
Quick question about AU's. How soon can I remove them? Let's say I got a card 3-4 months ago and immediately added the AU to get the additional mileage bonus. Can I remove the AU now and not be penalized?

Can't comment on getting penalized for removal but there is no bonus for adding an AU for the CSR. Just that it will cost you $75 per AU card.

BThumme Aug 23, 2016 11:49 pm

Mines sitting in Louisville, and here I am wondering if it will be on UPS 896 (230am) or UPS 802 (316am).

Travelchurner Aug 23, 2016 11:54 pm

Is the $300 airline credit applied to all travel such as plane tickets?

wco81 Aug 23, 2016 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by BoarderX (Post 27110639)
My situation was very similar. After recon line review yesterday and moving some CL over, it was bumped to next-level review: verification. The verification line was closed by 5:15p Pacific so I called this morning and finished the job. Approved. If I hadn't called, the recon line agent said it might take a while for verification to get back to me.

What number did you call for the verification dept?

Dr Jabadski Aug 23, 2016 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by JMWEEZ (Post 27110496)
SCRA applies to debt incurred only prior to entering active duty. I'm pretty sure this applies to ANG/reserves if they are called to AD. Its well known that Chase pretty much won't waive the annual fee for service members and they are not legally obliged to do so.

Reservist, 8 month mobilization to Afghanistan 3 years ago, Chase waived all fees, including annual fees, for 2.5 years after my mobilization ended, for any cards I had prior to mobilization. I received 3 or 4 different letters, all identical except for expiration date.

First letter, received immediately after sending a copy of my orders, about 5 months prior to mobilization, stated “We are dedicated to supporting members of our military and appreciate the opportunity to ensure your benefits continue under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA)” and also “These benefits expire 90 days after the military service ends, according to the date on your documentation. This 90 day extension of your benefits is a gesture of our appreciation for service in the military and our commitment to you as our customer.”

Next letter, a few weeks later, almost identical, except “… benefits expire 12 months after military service ends, according to the date on your documentation. This 12 month extension …”

Next letter, a couple of months later, stated “… benefits expire on xx/xx/2016” (about 2.3 years after ESTIMATED ULTIMATE ACTIVITY DETACH DATE), which includes a year of extended benefits…”

Last letter, 10 months later, was identical except for an ending date about 6 weeks later, about 2.5 years after mobilization ended.

Chase has better military benefits than any other bank/credit card issuer. Upon calling credit card customer service, after inputting the account number of a card covered under SCRA, automatically routed to a dedicated Military Services customer service department, with exceptionally knowledgeable and effective agents, mostly family members of military. Free checking account, personal or business, with no minimums and a free safe deposit box. No complaints at all as to how Chase treats veterans.

giesen5 Aug 24, 2016 12:15 am

Originally Posted by reverted (Post 27110838)
Can't comment on getting penalized for removal but there is no bonus for adding an AU for the CSR. Just that it will cost you $75 per AU card.

Sure, I just want to know how soon I can remove AU from cards without getting miles clawed back, if that even happens.

Ratamacue Aug 24, 2016 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski (Post 27110867)
Chase has better military benefits than any other bank/credit card issuer. Upon calling credit card customer service, after inputting the account number of a card covered under SCRA, automatically routed to a dedicated Military Services customer service department, with exceptionally knowledgeable and effective agents, mostly family members of military. Free checking account, personal or business, with no minimums... No complaints at all as to how Chase treats veterans.

Thanks for posting this.

RedElmo Aug 24, 2016 12:26 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 27110312)
Why do they even bother? :confused:

Anyone without any special credit card can enroll in Avis Preferred. :rolleyes: It is absolutely free to all, with no rental history requirements.

Meanwhile, MasterCard World Elite cards (issued in the USA) come with Avis Preferred Plus. (That requires a dozen rentals in a calendar year or many thousands in spend in a calendar year.) Why then is it not Avis Preferred Plus that this card is giving away, instead of the meaningless to "give away with a card" Avis Preferred? :confused:

(Avis Preferred Plus is a replacement for the former Avis First subprogram.)

That's what I wondered. Maybe a misprint? Cuz Emerald aisle Executive is the higher tier. I have avis first. It's useless anyways. I much prefer nationals executive so I can choose the better cars!

dancefreak Aug 24, 2016 12:33 am

FICO: 780
4/24
Have checking and savings with chase for 10+ years.

Online I was pre approved for everything except CSR.
Went into a branch and they showed no cards as pre approved.
This was odd so I didn't complete the application in the branch.

Went home and thought why not. Filled out application online and approved instantly with $30K CL.

Works for me.

dancefreak Aug 24, 2016 12:40 am

Originally Posted by act0fgod (Post 27110160)
I was approved yesterday in branch. I signed paperwork acknowledging the terms and the bonus (interestingly they didn't tell me the interest rate but said it would be either 16.24% or 23.24%). I have copies of all the paperwork. The banker said yup your approved card will arrive in 7-10 days in a white envelope from UPS.

It is my 6th card which is why I went into the branch. That being said I don't see the card when I login to chase.

I also signed up for a checking account and the checking account is showing.

Are other people seeing the card in their chase account immediately after signing up?

My card showed up on my account pretty much instantly after I was approved.

sigma6 Aug 24, 2016 12:54 am

Applied in branch and approved on monday 8/22. Banker called me the next day to let me know they could not expedite my card. I called customer service on the back of my freedom card. At first the CSR didn't know what a Reserve card was. I told them to look up my whole account and was met with a big "OOOOO". Got a UPS tracking number an hour later for next day air :)