FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Chase Sapphire Reserve [Initial application frenzy] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1787207-chase-sapphire-reserve-initial-application-frenzy.html)

Irish80 Aug 22, 2016 7:50 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 27101046)
I've had a Preferred for 5 years or so and want to upgrade to the Reserve. Is it better to apply to the Reserve as a new account, then cancel the Preferred, or to just call Chase and ask to change the card over?

Or does it matter?

I don't churn cards or do MS, so 5/24 and such won't be a concern.

Thanks!

Well if you think that you'll be approved definitely apply for the card. Only if you apply and are approved will you receive the signup bonus. If you just do a product from from CSPto CSR, you'll get all the benefits but won't receive the 100K UR points. So based on the info you provided, apply for CSR, get approved and then cancel your CSP and move limit to CSR or any other Chase card that you have.

monkeywrencher Aug 22, 2016 7:50 am

Denied. 10/24 but 0 cards in the last year. Wouldn't budge. Same result for wife's application.

gfunkdave Aug 22, 2016 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 27101058)
Upgrade would not get you bonus but still get you $450 fee, of course also the benefits. Still...

If you dont need to worry 5/24 why would you give up the 100K sign up bonus? :confused:

Thanks. I didn't realize that the 100k signup bonus was only for "new" accounts and didn't apply to "upgraded" ones.

trouble747 Aug 22, 2016 7:51 am

Originally Posted by matto2786 (Post 27101061)
Approved for $16,600. I believe I was at or over the 5/24. Opened CSP, PRG, Chase FU, and I was stupid enough to open a Firestone card in late 2014 that I paid off and a Best Buy card in November 2015. Also have two car loans, one with Chase the other BofA. 759 credit, $75k declared income, with about $200k liquid assets.

Store cards don't count, IIRC.

nwflyboy Aug 22, 2016 7:51 am

Originally Posted by shihyin (Post 27100986)
Just applied online. Got the 7-10 pending message...not a good sign. I am way over 5/24 but I did call to lower my credit limit on several Chase cards so that I don't need to move the credit at the end, but I guess it doesn't matter.

EDIT: called the reconsideration line just now and was told application declined due to too many account opened.
5/24 definitely in place.

Thanks for the data point, and for the day's major news item.

There you have it. No surprise here. Enjoy watching all the bloggers sending their sheep off to the slaughter without the slightest concern.

BTW, for those thinking "what the heck, I'll try anyway..." recall that on all Chase applications, you are required to tick a checkbox that says "I have not been denied credit by Chase for at least 6 months." I don't know exactly what it would mean if you did not answer that honestly, but if you try and fail on this app, then you're probably gonna have that additional 6 month clock running.

FriscoHeavy Aug 22, 2016 7:52 am

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA (Post 27101049)
What's your 5/24 situation?

I don't churn like y'all do. I only have 2 inquiries for the past 2 years on my credit report and those weren't even credit card related. So effectively, 0/24.

I'm sure I would have been approved after it had been reviewed, but I'd like to try and get the card by later this week. However, I'm usually instantly approved.

HHI: $200K +
Credit Score: Around 820
Auto & Home Inquiry in last 24 months only

ChiefNWA Aug 22, 2016 7:52 am

Originally Posted by trouble747 (Post 27101073)
Store cards don't count, IIRC.

Interesting, I believe I'm at 7/24 (two being stupid Rooms2go and Mattress Firm cards) plus one authorized user account. I'll wait to apply as more data becomes available.

StatusChallenged Aug 22, 2016 7:52 am

If you are approved please add the following information if you can

Were you over/under 5/24?
Are you a Chase Private Client?
If right around 5/24, did you have ink/store cards/AU?
If called recon, what was the original message you received?
Income:
credit score:

lobo411 Aug 22, 2016 7:53 am

OMG approved instantly!

I'm 6/24 IF you include Ink +
I'm 5/24 IF you include the Amex I opened in July, which isn't showing up yet on Credit karma
I'm 4/24 IF you go just based on what's on Credit Karma

2 of my cards were opened in May/June and both were Chase...I'm really quite shocked!

Credit score: 740
Stated Income: 82k

CL: 10k

Happy Aug 22, 2016 7:54 am

Looks like Chase will get their "preferred" customers with the 5/24 strictly enforced. Though it may be safe to say, a good portion of these "preferred" customers are churners at the beginning stage based on what are going on in Reddit. How many these "preferred" customers will stay to pay the 2nd year's $450 fee would be the big test which Chase is willing to wait for.

Duke787 Aug 22, 2016 7:56 am

Declined due to 5/24 as well. Called recon line and oddly she cited 3 CCs that are more than 24 months ago (1x February 2014, 2x July 2014). She wouldn't give me any indication on how long I'd have to wait to apply again. She also indicated it had already been denied and there was no room for reconsideration.

Will have to circle back to this card in 6 months and see what happens then once a couple fall off. Bummer - I do have 4 Chase cards but I've never churned any of them (e.g., they are all still open and only 1 was opened in the last 12 months - the rest are 3+ years). The only Chase card I've ever shut down was my United card that I ripped up and canceled in a moment of extreme displeasure towards UA back in 2013 at the peak of their post-merger follies.

I also do all my banking with Chase (even though no Chase bank in NC) so I definitely fall in the "loyal" customer bucket. With the CSR, I'd love to get rid of the CSP but I'm not going to forgo the signup bonus by making a PC. Also just missed the link last week which let 5/24 in - oh well.

in4tar Aug 22, 2016 7:56 am

If app goes into pending - does it make sense to call reconsideration now or wait until decision is sent by mail?

tranceformer978 Aug 22, 2016 7:56 am

Applied, got the 7-10 day notification, called recon, too many cards in two years. 5/24 in effect. Congrats to those who got the approved. I may upgrade my CSP to CSR even if I don't get the 100k bonus, the benefits are worth the AF.

trouble747 Aug 22, 2016 8:00 am

Originally Posted by cslovacek (Post 27101083)
I don't churn like y'all do. I only have 2 inquiries for the past 2 years on my credit report and those weren't even credit card related. So effectively, 0/24.

I'm sure I would have been approved after it had been reviewed, but I'd like to try and get the card by later this week. However, I'm usually instantly approved.

HHI: $200K +
Credit Score: Around 820
Auto & Home Inquiry in last 24 months only

Perhaps not what you meant, but Chase's 5/24 rule appears to be based on new credit card accounts opened, not on inquiries.

Rd3 Aug 22, 2016 8:02 am

Assuming folks (like myself) who got approved on 8/15; our cards will go out today, now that the card is live? Correct?