Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

JPM Reserve VISA Infinite replaced Palladium (2016 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread continues discussion which started here in 2010: JP Morgan Palladium Card

Temporary COVID-19 rewards are documented here:
https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...asehome_3/hero

JP Morgan Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0512_Web.pdf

JP Morgan Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/jpmreserve2

JP Morgan Reserve card features are found here
https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/jpmreserve/travel

Print Wikipost

JPM Reserve VISA Infinite replaced Palladium (2016 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by MDJennings
That's odd. I can still charge to the old compromised card number on my Amazon account and have the charges appear on the bill for the new card number.
Would that not suggest that so can the fraudsters?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by 747FC
Unless it's a way for them to see who's still using the old number to "catch" them.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:27 pm

If I try to add that old card number to a different Amazon account, it fails that temporary $1 hold verification.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:22 pm

Long-time JPM Card Holder; New AX Plat: Which to Use?

My JPMR (and Select before that) is my daily use card for everything except my gas and groceries, which I pay with an old Chase Mileage Plus card that gives me 2 miles per dollar.

I recently got a American Express Plat card, mainly for their IAP and FHR programs.

I know that there is an existing FT thread comparing the differences of the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...e-reserve.html , but I am interested in how the distinguished subset of JPMR/AXP/Centurion holders chose to use these cards.

When do you pull out your JPMR vs your AXP/Centurion?

Many thanks for your insights!
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:44 pm

JPMR: Strictly dining, nightlife/bars/etc, car rentals, some travel (ie Quantic)

Cent: Direct airline purchases, stays of less than 4 days, large things I want extended coverage on (home theater equipment, etc)

Octave: non category, gas, large purchases I don't need a warranty on (ie bespoke tailoring, random event tickets i know for sure I'm attending)

Prestige: Stays of 4 days

I do have a Ritz/SPG card and FU I may use from time to time depending on circumstances. I also have another wallet full of, "regular," cards in case I need to go somewhere anything other than a Capital One or basic card would draw attention.

Hope that helps.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
My JPMR (and Select before that) is my daily use card for everything except my gas and groceries, which I pay with an old Chase Mileage Plus card that gives me 2 miles per dollar.

I recently got a American Express Plat card, mainly for their IAP and FHR programs.

I know that there is an existing FT thread comparing the differences of the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...e-reserve.html , but I am interested in how the distinguished subset of JPMR/AXP/Centurion holders chose to use these cards.

JP Morgan Reserve: Basically everyday spend, dining, uber, travel, ALL recurring payments, XBox, PlayStation, Xfinity, T-Mobile, Utility bills. That way I only need to check one account primarily. I travel with this card and 50% of my charges are international. I spend a lot overseas on travel and dining, so this card earns me an insane amount of UR points.

AMEX Centurion (Personal): I use this exclusively with Amex offers. This card is absolutely useless for everyday spend. Currently use it at Starbucks (15% off), Hilton discount (250 off), Wine.com, etc. I have also used this card through Centurion travel for use with the International Arrival Service in Bali, Dubai, Bangkok (3 people brings you to the front of the already shortened Fast Trak line, serious perk in BKK saving 1 hour to 2 mins). I also use it for booking hotels in the Centurion hotel program. We got upgraded from luxury room to the private suite at the Belmond Safari in Botswana which would have costed over $1000 a night, and complimentary afternoon tea at the Peninsula Hong Kong, as well as complimentary heliservice for their fly and dine package (this was negotiated in advance and not the norm as we were booking 3 of their most expensive rooms and my parents are regulars there). I should also mention that their concierge is head and shoulders above Visa Infinite Concierge, and I was able to get a reservation at the French Laundry day-of last year. This again was not a usual occurrence, but the typical reservation schedule for that restaurant is 6 months to a year in advance. You deal with only 2 concierge personnel during your cardmembership, they are a part of your service team, and they have immaculate memory on the smallest details.

AMEX Platinum (Personal): I got this card exclusively for airfare. I spend in the high 5 figure range annually for airfare, so this comes in handy for 5 x points per flight. It comes with $200 annually on airline incidentals, which is the same as the Centurion, so I always buy a bunch of Delta gift cards. I don't bother with any of the benefits since they overlap with the Centurion, and only offers SPG Gold and Delta Silver or something while Centurion offers Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, and Delta Platinum.

Last edited by cce5858; Sep 9, 2017 at 1:47 pm Reason: Extra information removed.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by cce5858
...You deal with only 2 concierge personnel during your cardmembership, and they have immaculate memory on the smallest details.
It would be impossible to overstate how superior the Centurion concierge is vs their JP Morgan and Visa Infinite counterparts. ^
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:44 pm

JPMR: Strictly dining, nightlife/bars/etc, car rentals, some travel (ie Quantic)

Cent: Direct airline purchases, stays of less than 4 days, large things I want extended coverage on (home theater equipment, etc)

Hope that helps.
Yes it does. Thanks. Question: You find the Cent extended warranty benefits/process better than JPMR: Is that just because of the additional two years (5 vs 3), or are there other factors as well?

Originally Posted by cce5858
JP Morgan Reserve: Basically everyday spend, dining, uber, travel, ALL recurring payments, XBox, PlayStation, Xfinity, T-Mobile, Utility bills. That way I only need to check one account primarily. I travel with this card and 50% of my charges are international. I spend a lot overseas on travel and dining, so this card earns me an insane amount of UR points.

AMEX Centurion (Personal): I use this exclusively with Amex offers. This card is absolutely useless for everyday spend. Currently use it at Starbucks (15% off), Hilton discount (250 off), Wine.com, etc. I have also used this card through Centurion travel for use with the International Arrival Service in Bali, Dubai, Bangkok (3 people brings you to the front of the already shortened Fast Trak line, serious perk in BKK saving 1 hour to 2 mins). I also use it for booking hotels in the Centurion hotel program. We got upgraded from luxury room to the private suite at the Belmond Safari in Botswana which would have costed over $1000 a night, and complimentary afternoon tea at the Peninsula Hong Kong, as well as complimentary heliservice for their fly and dine package (this was negotiated in advance and not the norm as we were booking 3 of their most expensive rooms and my parents are regulars there). I should also mention that their concierge is head and shoulders above Visa Infinite Concierge, and I was able to get a reservation at the French Laundry day-of last year. This again was not a usual occurrence, but the typical reservation schedule for that restaurant is 6 months to a year in advance. You deal with only 2 concierge personnel during your cardmembership, they are a part of your service team, and they have immaculate memory on the smallest details.

AMEX Platinum (Personal): I got this card exclusively for airfare. I spend in the high 5 figure range annually for airfare, so this comes in handy for 5 x points per flight. It comes with $200 annually on airline incidentals, which is the same as the Centurion, so I always buy a bunch of Delta gift cards. I don't bother with any of the benefits since they overlap with the Centurion, and only offers SPG Gold and Delta Silver or something while Centurion offers Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, and Delta Platinum.
Thank you. Seems like you and MDJennings both value to the 5X MR points earned by travel over the 3X UR points that come along with trip cancellation/ interruption insurance. Can either of you speak more to that issue?

Anyone else care to weigh in?
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:14 pm

I never knew you could PC from the Select to the Palladium (when it was available) and to the Reserve. I think mine automatically changed to the CSP years ago and I closed it shortly thereafter. Stupid me.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by joe318
I never knew you could PC from the Select to the Palladium (when it was available) and to the Reserve. I think mine automatically changed to the CSP years ago and I closed it shortly thereafter. Stupid me.
You could call and PC the Select to Reserve before they automatically converted to the CSP. That only happened late last year though.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:39 pm

It would be impossible to overstate how superior the Centurion concierge is vs their JP Morgan and Visa Infinite counterparts. ^
While definitely better without a doubt I still wouldn't call Cent concierge mind blowing. I barely use the services across any of the cards now a' days but the general idea of cent concierge and their "magic wand" to make things happen seems to have faded. I think it's easier to just have a good PA around at all times then rely on a call center.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:50 am

Yes it does. Thanks. Question: You find the Cent extended warranty benefits/process better than JPMR: Is that just because of the additional two years (5 vs 3), or are there other factors as well?

Thank you. Seems like you and MDJennings both value to the 5X MR points earned by travel over the 3X UR points that come along with trip cancellation/ interruption insurance. Can either of you speak more to that issue?

Yes, the extended warranty is nice, but also just being to call in and not get the run around by whoever is responsible for Chase's purchase protection.

With trip delay/insurance, I don't see it as a big deal to have to shell out an extra $20 for dinner if plans are changed. I also don't think these credit cards cover private aviation, so it would be a moot point and necessitates insurance via another underwriter.

Originally Posted by dlesin
While definitely better without a doubt I still wouldn't call Cent concierge mind blowing. I barely use the services across any of the cards now a' days but the general idea of cent concierge and their "magic wand" to make things happen seems to have faded. I think it's easier to just have a good PA around at all times then rely on a call center.
I agree with this.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:15 pm

Thankyou. Seems like you and MDJennings both value to the 5X MR points earned by travel over the 3X UR points that come along with trip cancellation/ interruption insurance. Can either of you speak more to that issue?

I am a points junkie, so i really love the fact that I I earned 225,000 MR points this year just on airfare spend this year on Platinum instead of 45,000 on Centurion or 135,000 on JPMR. You bring a valid point of the value of the insurance benefits which embarrassingly I have done no research on. I have used the JPMR's lost luggage reimbursement for a little over $2500 and found the process to be extremely straightforward. I know the Centurion has an insane emergency medical evacuation feature, which I sincerely hope no one ever has to use it. Centurion also has top tier car rental privileges, but embarrassingly, I have never rented a car in my life . Speaking of Centurion concierge, I find it to be very to my satisfaction. I have been a US Centurion member only since 2015, so I don't know much about how it has "deteriorated", but I am generally impressed. But again I use it maybe like once a month. To be honest, I find the Centurion initiation fee really hard to justify. I was a global card transfer from a Taiwan Centurion, so I did not need to pay the 7500. I value the Centurion with the Delta Platinum benefit, because I otherwise would only qualify for gold every year due to my travels to be widespread on all 3 alliances.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Extra point for using digital wallet with JPMR?

I wonder if this Sapphire Reserve extra point promo will also apply to the JPMR ?

https://www.chase.com/digital/digita...0/Body_Image_1
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:45 pm

1500 total points.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.