Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is now archived.

Continue the discussion here: HERE

Prior thread: Pre-2016 discussions archived HERE.

Similar thread on IHG Forum here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1232030-annual-free-night-cert-ihg-rewards-club-visa-mastercard-23.html Currently, the IHG credit card is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of April 2018, a new IHG card is being released. There are changes, including a limit to the value of the annual free night certificate (40,000 point vs. any hotel).
Ongoing discussion can be found here, in the IHG forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...valuation.html

Existing card members can use "any hotel" certificates that were issued/will be issued prior to April 30th. Any Anniversary Night issued BEFORE May 1, 2018 is still valid at any IHG hotel worldwide.
Certificates issued AFTER May 1 will be under the new T & C's.

From Chase:

Update: We’re changing the Anniversary Free Night on your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card

On May 1, 2018, we’re changing the Anniversary Free Night benefit associated with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card.

Here’s what’s changing
Currently, we award this Anniversary Free Night each year after your anniversary date, and it is redeemable at any IHG property. Going forward, Anniversary Free Nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be redeemable at eligible IHG hotels with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.

Here is the list of IHG hotels that will NO LONGER be available for certificate redemption: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night?_PMID=99634986&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4453693-_-7718223-_-www.ihg.com%2Fcontent&glat=AFFI&setPMCookies=true& url=https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night

Current public offers, as of 9/1/17
See post 527 regarding an 80,000-point offer: "When I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer."

All offers have the following terms/benefits:
  • Signup bonus earned after $1,000/$2000 spend in first 3 months
  • Starting on the first anniversary of account opening, a free night every year at any [effective with Anniversary Certs issued on 01 May 2018, redeemable only at properties 40,000 points and under] IHG hotel. (Cert may be redeemed online.)
  • 5 points per $ spent at IHG hotels
  • 2 points per $ spent on gas, groceries and dining
  • 1 point per $ on everything else
  • 10% points rebate on any redemptions. ("Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account")
  • No fee 1st year, then $49.
  • No foreign transaction fees.
  • IHG Platinum status for as long as you hold the card.
Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the $1000 (or $2000) spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by IntFF
I have an active IHG-MC card from about 3 years ago.
Can I apply for a second such card with Same IHG acct# and get the initial bonus points?
Can I keep both cards (linked to Same IHG acct#) and get free nights on Both?
Nope, you'll need to close the first one and then you can apply for the second one.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
The 100K + 5K offer is still available for those targeted.
My wife's account finally got the targeted offer. It took 3-4 weeks for the offer to show up after she closed her previous Chase IHG card.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 9Benua
My wife's account finally got the targeted offer. It took 3-4 weeks for the offer to show up after she closed her previous Chase IHG card.
Did not notice the time frame as husband went without IHG card for 6 months trying to be under 5/24 for a CSP to replace a CSR. Alas, the new policy foiled this plan.

Historically you would need to be a Plat or above to be able to see the highest targeted offer. So this means one needs to time the cancellation so not to lose the Plat from CC (status remains till year end even if you X the card) so has a better chance to get the targeted offer.

What is a bit odd this time is, even though husband have already received his newly approved card, activated it on Monday but his IHG account still shows the offer. I vaguely recall in the past the offer fell off pretty quickly after getting the card.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 26, 2017 at 8:40 pm
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Happy

Historically you would need to be a Plat or above to be able to see the highest targeted offer. So this means one needs to time the cancellation so not to lose the Plat from CC (status remains till year end even if you X the card) so has a better chance to get the targeted offer.
I was a base member but got the targetted offer in email.. Finally I had to call and apply since the name in the offer link was not spelled correctly..
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Got targeted with the 100k offer while poking around the IHG website looking at some hotel info. In the midst of planning our honeymoon so would certainly welcome 100k IHG to play with.

Applied yesterday and got a decision pending. Received a call this morning, didn't want to extend a new credit line but allowed me to open it up moving around existing credit. Move $5k off the CSR (which has a high credit limit I never even get near) and was good to go.

Currently Gold Elite which is a remnant of my Ambassador status that expired earlier this year.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:13 am

Data Point:
I met the min. spend well before the first statement, and the 80,000 points were in my account the day that my first statement posted.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:02 pm

You don't need to be targeted to get the 105,000 points. Calling 1-888-897-0083 and applying gets you 105,000 points (100,000 plus 5000 for adding an AU) with no annual fee first year. Downside is that the phone app takes 20 minutes to complete. I got instant approval despite 5/24 as this card is an exception to the 5/24 rule.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:57 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Robl
You don't need to be targeted to get the 105,000 points. Calling 1-888-897-0083 and applying gets you 105,000 points (100,000 plus 5000 for adding an AU) with no annual fee first year. Downside is that the phone app takes 20 minutes to complete. I got instant approval despite 5/24 as this card is an exception to the 5/24 rule.
Let me add that applicants are subject to the 24-months-since-last-bonus rule.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:18 pm

Yup, this worked for me. I called Wednesday and got pending and then got a call today to verify details. Boy, it takes a long time though.

A question: For upcoming award stays booked before I got the card do I need to rebook to get the 10 percent points rebate? Also, how will I know when IHG regards me as eligible for the 10 percent rebate. I assume Chase lets them know but how will I know when? Same time I see upgrade to Platinum?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:32 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
I got instant approval despite 5/24 as this card is an exception to the 5/24 rule.
True, just remember going forward, the IHG app still counts towards your total app count once approved. So if you were 5/24, you'll now be at 6/24 and need two apps to drop before eligible again for any Chase premium cards. ^
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:37 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by lkar
A question: For upcoming award stays booked before I got the card do I need to rebook to get the 10 percent points rebate? Also, how will I know when IHG regards me as eligible for the 10 percent rebate. I assume Chase lets them know but how will I know when? Same time I see upgrade to Platinum?
That's a tricky one. Best bet is to rebook if the options are still available after approved for the IHG CC to be 100%.

I say this because I have had them credit the 10% rebate different ways for me in the past. First few times the 10% rebate only posted AFTER my stay, which makes sense since you could technically cancel before your stay with no penalty. But my most recent redemption I was credited with the 10% two months BEFORE my stay.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Tony300S
That's a tricky one. Best bet is to rebook if the options are still available after approved for the IHG CC to be 100%.

I say this because I have had them credit the 10% rebate different ways for me in the past. First few times the 10% rebate only posted AFTER my stay, which makes sense since you could technically cancel before your stay with no penalty. But my most recent redemption I was credited with the 10% two months BEFORE my stay.
Ok, thanks. Still available so I should be ok.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Tony300S

Were both for similar rates ? Maybe the one where credit happened before the stay was a non refundable one ?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:10 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Were both for similar rates ? Maybe the one where credit happened before the stay was a non refundable one ?
Nope, reward stays via points are always refundable. First time I've seen it post like that so who knows, its IHG, they wouldn't know either.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:53 pm

Data point:

July, 2015 - Opened card, bonus posted Sept 9, 2015.
Sept 20, 2017 - Closed card.
Oct 1, 2017 - Saw an ad for 100k pts in my IHG account, applied, got 30 day msg.
Oct 4, 2017 - New card showed up in my Chase account with 2k CL.

Going to meet the min spend and see if the bonus posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.