Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
="3"%This thread is a continuation of the archived mega thread, found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...t-credit.html]

Public Offer:40k for $2K spend + 25K for $10K spend.. Other goodies. ($95 annual fee waived the first year)

="2"%Public 40k + 25k ($95 annual fee waived the first year)
https://www.theexplorercard.com

="2"%Targeted 50k + 5k ($95 annual fee waived the first year)
Landing page

Targeted 60k + 3k ($95 annual fee waived the first year) good thru 9/22/21
Landing Page.

Note: For targeted offers, you will be required to login to your MileagePlus account.
If, after logging in, you're redirected to a lower offer, it means you're not targeted.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Public 50k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer (AF not waived, expired 6/30/16)
Landing page Redirect page Application page

Targeted 70k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer (AF not waived, reappeared 2/1/17)
Landing page Redirect page Application page Alternate Landing Page expired 7/31/17)

Targeted 70k + 5k AU offer (AF not waived, expired 6/30/16)
Landing page Alternate Landing Page expired 7/31/17)

Chase Private Clients may be pre-approved for better or different offers, it's worth asking your banker.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

My math says a 50K offer. Where do the extra points come from?
The extra 5000 points come from adding an authorized user after you have been approved for the card.
no longer available

Is there a business card?
Yes, and Flyertalk has a thread devoted to the business card: United business card currently offering 30K miles: United MP Business card: public offer now 50K miles!!

Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
How long should I wait between canceling a card and then reapplying?
What's the Chase "5/24" policy I keep hearing about?
Now that I've completed the required spend, when will my signup bonus post?

See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Where can I find an online copy of the guide to the card's benefits (such as purchase protection, car rental CDW coverage, etc.)?
Go to https://www.chasebenefits.com/unitedVW4

A few of the best features of the card include priority boarding, a free checked bag, and increased award ticket availability. Priority boarding and the free checked bag for cardholders is included even on the new "basic economy" fares.

For discussion of Mileage Plus benefits, see the master thread in the United forum, found here: United MileagePlus Master Wiki

Print Wikipost

United Explorer Card (2015 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2021, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by esquiar
What you want is the no annual fee Gateway Card: accesses XN space, earns 1x minimum, inflight discount… strictly better than the old NAF UA MP card

Not sure that you can actually still get the old NAF MileagePlus Visa. I downgraded my UA Select Visa to the MileagePlus Visa in May of 2020, and a few month after they introduced the Gateway in November of 2021 they sent me an email that they would covert my NAF card to the Gateway card. Saved me a call, because I had intended to call to ask if I could switch since it indeed is the better card.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
UA Gold (any variety) should get “2 Complimentary checked bags in Economy, 70 lbs. (32 kg)” and 3 in premium cabin.

“… lifetime gold …”, prior to the flight OR since the flight? Did you have your MP account # on the ticket? If lifetime Gold prior and correct MP # on ticket, seems you should not have been charged a baggage fee (for the first 2 or 3 bags depending on cabin).
Hi, thanks for your response. My comment was a reply to another comment in a separate post that is now merged into this post. What I meant about Lifetime Gold was that I'm an AA lifetime gold and therefore haven't had to worry about baggage charge whenever I fly AA.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
This unusual situation is still ongoing, as I've had to talked to multiple Chase agents and UA agents. The last thing I did is to file a UA Refund Request. Hope it works. I'll summarize my predicament as succintly as follows, and hope to get some help/answers from this community.

1. Purchased UA ticket using UR points and paid balance with UA MileagePlus Chase VISA. (I have Chase statement & Chase Travel email to match.)
2. At the airport, the UA counter agent insisted that I pay for the $35 bag fee even though the UA MileagePlus card should waive the 1st bag.
3. In the interest of time pressure, I paid the $35.
4. Since then, I've been bouncing between UA agents and Chase agents. I don't blame the agents themselves, but what appears to be the culprit is the UR travel system that sent my ticket info to UA as it showed (incorrectly) that I charged my ticket to a MasterCard. The UA agent told me that card's last 4-digit number. I don't own such a MA card nor do I own any such credit card with those numbers. And I know for sure that I charged to my UA Visa.
5. Right now, thanks to a UA MileagePlus agent, I finally filed a refund request on the bag fee. But, I don't know the results yet.

* Even if the result is in my favor, I still plan to write a complaint letter to Chase for (1) the incorrect credit card number passed from Chase Travel to UA, and (2) one Chase agent who kept interrupting me, kept saying I didn't buy a UA ticket, and then hanged up on me.

Do y'all have any advice for me? Has anyone had a similar experience?

I am... Exhausted in Dallas
I have good news to report.

Just now I checked the UA Refund Status page and saw that the $35 bag charge was refunded a few days ago. I do like the refund submission and status check feature on the website, but I'm still bothered by this entire hassle that I endured. I don't know what the specific rreason that finally got me the refund. Ultimately, I think the fault lies with Chese Travel for not providing the correct credit card info to United. For $35, I certainly spent many times the equivalent effort just for the principle of it.

Outstanding to-do: complain to Chese for the one Chese agent that was extremely discourteous and unprofessional. I'll have to find the free time to write a complaint letter, but it really should be done. I never blamed, faulted, or got angry with any of the other many agents, both United and Chnese, during this process, except for this one agent (named Jason) who made me feel bullied.

Furthermore, I'll probably cancel the UA MileagePlus card. Because of this experience, I don't know for sure if UA ultimately canceled the charge as a goodwill to a customer or by following rules. I also don't think the 2 club passes are worthwhile. So, what other benefits would make this card worth keeping?

Last edited by ChaseTheMiles; Nov 27, 2021 at 4:47 pm
Old Nov 27, 2021, 4:45 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... I think the fault lies with Chese Travel for not providing the correct credit card info to United.....
This is not an error. The travel agency always uses their own card to pay for tickets purchased with UR points. The agency has no way to know that your card provides a benefit, but only when booking on a specific carrier. If they did use your card you would be charged the full cost of the flight.
tonei and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by mia; Nov 27, 2021 at 5:03 pm
Old Nov 28, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Hi, thanks for your response. My comment was a reply to another comment in a separate post that is now merged into this post. What I meant about Lifetime Gold was that I'm an AA lifetime gold and therefore haven't had to worry about baggage charge whenever I fly AA.
Thank you for the gracious clarification, sorry for my misinterpretation.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 3:25 pm

I have two upcoming trips, booked on United, paid using an Amex. If I apply and am approved for the United Explorer card now, is there a way to get free checked bags on those trips beside rebooking using the United credit card? Thanks.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 3:39 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by asdfghjk
I have two upcoming trips, booked on United, paid using an Amex. If I apply and am approved for the United Explorer card now, is there a way to get free checked bags on those trips beside rebooking using the United credit card? Thanks.
From a United reservation confirmation email:
MileagePlus® Explorer Card member and one companion on the same reservation are each eligible for waiver of the service charge for the first checked bag (within specified size and weight limits). Must be a MileagePlus Explorer Card member at time of check-in, and ticket(s) must have been purchased using the Card in order to qualify. Applies only on United- and United Express-operated flights, and when baggage check-in occurs with United.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 5:20 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Originally Posted by mia
This is not an error. The travel agency always uses their own card to pay for tickets purchased with UR points. The agency has no way to know that your card provides a benefit, but only when booking on a specific carrier. If they did use your card you would be charged the full cost of the flight.
yep, from what I’ve seen this is standard practice for Chase and Citi redemptions; Amex instead charges your card for the full price of the ticket and then applies your points a statement credit, which I imagine they’re able to do because it’s their own in house travel agency processing the tickets instead of a third party contractor.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 5:34 pm
mia

Originally Posted by tonei
....Amex instead charges your card for the full price of the ticket and then applies your points a statement credit, which I imagine they’re able to do because it’s their own in house travel agency processing the tickets instead of a third party contractor.
Not always. Amex Travel (USA) is outsourced to Expedia. They just structure the transaction differently.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asdfghjk
Do you have the Amex Platinum card? Baggage charges can be offset by the annual airline credit if you direct it to UA.
mia and lsquare like this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
From a United reservation confirmation email
Yeah, I read about that in the T&C of the card too. I was just hoping there is a work around . Thanks.

Do you have the Amex Platinum card? Baggage charges can be offset by the annual airline credit if you direct it to UA.
Yes, I do. I guess I will have to do that next year. Thanks.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 11:27 am

If I book award travel on a United flight using Turkish miles and pay the taxes using my United Explorer card, is it possible to then change the ff# on the reservation to my Mileageplus # and get free checked baggage?
Old Dec 2, 2021, 11:37 am
mia

Originally Posted by Deez Nutz
If I book award travel on a United flight using Turkish miles and pay the taxes using my United Explorer card....
I don't see how United Airlines would have any knowledge of this card transaction, because it would be processed by TK's frequent flyer program.
beltway likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 1:21 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Deez Nutz
If I book award travel on a United flight using Turkish miles and pay the taxes using my United Explorer card...
Legally change your name to Miles Smiles. When Turkish Airlines makes the payment, United will think it's from you.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Is anyone else here upset that the Chase Aeroplan card has a 3x multiplier for groceries while the Chase UA Explorer card doesn't? I don't get it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.