Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Effective 11/15/15, the rules are different for CSP vs. UR-earning business cards (like the Ink Plus).

Ink Plus: The new program agreement states that
  • for combining points (i.e., moving between two UR accounts), "[y]ou can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you or one member of your household or owner of the company, as applicable."
  • for transfers from UR to travel partner programs, "[y]ou can transfer points in 1,000 point increments, but only to participating frequent travel program accounts belonging to you or an owner of the company who is listed as an authorized user on the account."
CSP: You can add one household member as an AU and then xfer UR to their programs.

NOTE: According to the Chase website, for both business cards and CSP "only primary cardmember frequent travel program accounts will be saved and authorized user (i.e. householder [sic] member or business owner) frequent travel program account information must be re-entered each time you want to transfer points."

For discussion of technical problems related to combining UR points with other UR accounts, see Problems Combining UR points between accounts.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:49 pm

UR Transfer Issue to Hyatt and other programs

Trying to transfer some points from Chase Sapphire Preferred Ultimate Rewards to Hyatt and also tried BA Executive Club Avios. Name on hotel/airline accounts matches my ID/passport. Receiving "Special handling required. We are unable to process this transfer online. Please call the number on the back of your card for assistance." on the Chase website, so called the dedicated Sapphire customer service desk.

Was advised my legal name is too long and last two letters of my first name have been cut off (even though website is letting me apply for new Chase cards with full name and no error message) and advised me to change airline/hotel names and remove some letters to match Chase (and a non-existent name). I advised I will most certainly not be changing my name on a fake name just because Chase chopped off two letters of my legal name. (What's next change my passport name just to satisfy Chase's computer system?). Was advised that there's nothing Chase can do and I won't be able to transfer my points to hotels/airlines because of this. Would not escalate this issue either.

Anyone have a similar issue? I need the Chase points transferred ASAP and it seems this may be an uphill battle? Full name is 25 letters (first and last combined and there are no special characters. Any advice will be greatly appreciated?
Old Mar 6, 2021, 2:03 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
Trying to transfer some points from Chase Sapphire Preferred Ultimate Rewards to Hyatt and also tried BA Executive Club Avios. Name on hotel/airline accounts matches my ID/passport. Receiving "Special handling required. We are unable to process this transfer online. Please call the number on the back of your card for assistance." on the Chase website, so called the dedicated Sapphire customer service desk.

Was advised my legal name is too long and last two letters of my first name have been cut off (even though website is letting me apply for new Chase cards with full name and no error message) and advised me to change airline/hotel names and remove some letters to match Chase (and a non-existent name). I advised I will most certainly not be changing my name on a fake name just because Chase chopped off two letters of my legal name. (What's next change my passport name just to satisfy Chase's computer system?). Was advised that there's nothing Chase can do and I won't be able to transfer my points to hotels/airlines because of this. Would not escalate this issue either.

Anyone have a similar issue? I need the Chase points transferred ASAP and it seems this may be an uphill battle? Full name is 25 letters (first and last combined and there are no special characters. Any advice will be greatly appreciated?
Call back and insist they escalate with IT. Probably not a quick fix though.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 4:19 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Yes. I have a hyphenated first name. It appears as such on my Chase accounts but not all of my travel loyalty accounts depending on whether that particular company's system accepted hyphens at the time I signed up and/or whether I bothered trying to enter it that way.

The idea that you should have to truncate your name elsewhere to match just because Chase's programmers can't be bothered would be utterly hilarious if it weren't so rage-inducingly stupid (see also below)

aside: to expecting parents, if you are considering a hyphenated first name for your child, don't. They'll thank you later

Originally Posted by bigshooter
Call back and insist they escalate with IT. Probably not a quick fix though.
Won't work. It happened that in my case I was also blocked transferring to Hyatt because on the Hyatt side there was no hyphen. Fortunately this was a matter of a quick email to Hyatt CS with a photo documentation (I shared via Dropbox and then deleted it after they had it) to change it on the Hyatt side, but what if I wanted to transfer to a partner that just flat out rejects hyphens in names? So I wrote back and said "fine, this solves my immediate problem, but it would be a trivial fix for your system to simply drop hyphens and spaces when matching names for transfer purposes, please file a feature request for future enhancement" and they didn't even understand what I was asking, kept saying "our system can't do this" -- yes, I understand it can't do it _right now_, I'm asking you to open a ticket/bug with your web development team

*which is in itself idiotic, but don't get me started on that... it really rankles when a site gives you an error "please only use valid characters" and I'm like "A HYPHEN IS A ?!&%@*$@ VALID CHARACTER YOU @%@&?$@!$ "

apologies for the rant, companies that don't understand usability are a trigger for me
Old Mar 6, 2021, 4:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Anyone have a similar issue?
I have transferred your post into the primary thread discussing this feature. Scroll back to June 2016 and begin reading at this post:

Originally Posted by copaflyer
I want to transfer United Miles to my wifes account from my chase account. My wifes mileage plus account has a last name that is more than 24 characters (which is the maximum the field allows). ....
More information about this case is provided in late 2017:

Ultimate Rewards discriminating against my wife
Old Mar 6, 2021, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak

Won't work. It happened that in my case I was also blocked transferring to Hyatt because on the Hyatt side there was no hyphen.
Thanks for the reply. I wish it were that simple here. Sadly, this is moreso the spelling of the first name trimming off two letters. No hotel or airline will go for that nor should they really. Most programs, in order to change name you need to send in an ID and they will not adjust it to something else that is fictitious, just because Chase is unable to transfer/link the points over.

There has to be some manual way Chase needs to complete this. I mean this is over a decade of earning points and paying annual fees and I cannot be blocked from utilizing the promised full benefits of the card just because my legal name is not to their liking. More than anything, I can go on Chase.com and apply for a new card and enter my full name it accepts it - there is no error anywhere alerting me that my name is too long or a box that cuts off my last two letters or does not allow me to enter them.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 4:54 am
mia

....I can go on Chase.com and apply for a new card and enter my full name it accepts it .....
It sounds as if the banking side can accommodate your full name, but the rewards side does not. I would work on this during regular business hours, but that fact that Copaflyer was dealing with it for 18+ months suggests that Chase has made the decision not to remedy the problem.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by mia
It sounds as if the banking side can accommodate your full name, but the rewards side does not. I would work on this during regular business hours, but that fact that Copaflyer was dealing with it for 18+ months suggests that Chase has made the decision not to remedy the problem.
Which contact method would use during normal business hours - is there a direction you can steer me in? Thanks!

What's interesting is that it can link to other programs such as FlyingBlue and IHG even though the name doesn't match fully- so I would think there has to be a manual link up?

Additionally, I have a Chase Hyatt card and the name doesn't match up entirely between the card and the loyalty account, points transfer without issue monthly? At this point, I don't care what my Chase Sapphire card says - if they can't accommodate two letters of my name on the credit card itself, it is what it is, but their has to be link behind the scenes that will work out. A company cannot decline benefits promised to someone just because they can't accept their full name. There's always a human override for any computer issue.

Does anyone know, if I do have to escalate this to corporate - what would be a good email or phone number to start with?
Old Mar 18, 2021, 6:07 pm

I have an update for those who are interested. After multiple back and forth messages with Chase via the Chase.com portal and via Twitter, they were able to manually link Hyatt and British Airways on their backend. Both programs show linked on the UR page and I was able to transfer points to each program.
Brendan, mia, pallhedge and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 6:17 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I have an update for those who are interested. After multiple back and forth messages with Chase via the Chase.com portal and via Twitter, they were able to manually link Hyatt and British Airways on their backend. Both programs show linked on the UR page and I was able to transfer points to each program.
congrats! This gives me hope for the next time I run into this with UR.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 3:33 pm

It appears that in the time since my unhinged rant in March (post 183 above) Chase has actually fixed the issue of hyphens appearing or not appearing in names.

I recently transferred points to Marriott (usually a horrible use of URs but I was 1000 short of a redemption). Apparently I have not done this since before the merger (see parenthetical remark) because it still had my old pre-merger Marriott number listed on the UR side. Maybe a transfer would still have worked, but I deleted the existing link and created a new one using my new post-merger Marriott number.

Despite my legal name being hyphenated in Chase but not hyphenated in Marriott, this worked. The transferred points took 3-4 days to appear, long enough to cause slight concern, but all's well that ends well.
beltway likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 6:36 am

This is probably a basic question, but hoping for guidance. I have CSR and my fiancee has CSP. Given I can get some of the CSR benefits elsewhere, I was thinking of downgrading to CFU after our May wedding but before the CSR AF hits.
  • If I add her as an AU to the CFU (and I am already an AU for her CSP), what do I need to do to be able to transfer my UR points to her account?
  • Will I also be able to transfer points from a vanilla Chase Freedom to the CFU and then to her CSP?
  • Are there any other issues I need to be aware of?
Old Jan 11, 2022, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
This is probably a basic question, but hoping for guidance. I have CSR and my fiancee has CSP. Given I can get some of the CSR benefits elsewhere, I was thinking of downgrading to CFU after our May wedding but before the CSR AF hits.
  • If I add her as an AU to the CFU (and I am already an AU for her CSP), what do I need to do to be able to transfer my UR points to her account?
  • Will I also be able to transfer points from a vanilla Chase Freedom to the CFU and then to her CSP?
  • Are there any other issues I need to be aware of?
There's no need to add your fiancee/wife as an AU to be able to combine your points onto her CSP. Assuming you are in the same household, simply call Chase to combine the points.

You can combine points from your Freedom to your CFU and make the same phone call as above to combine those points onto her card.

Your fiancee/wife would need to be an AU on your CSR if you wanted to transfer your points to one of her travel partner accounts. Likewise, your fiancee/wife would need to add you as an AU to transfer her points to one of your travel partner accounts. Note that once you downgrade your CSR to CFU, you will lose the ability to transfer points from that card to any travel partners.

Please note all the bolded verbiage above. You combine UR points from one Chase card to another. You transfer points from a UR account to a travel partner.
mia likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:44 am
RNE

FROM THE WIKI:
Ink Plus: for transfers from UR to travel partner programs, "[y]ou can transfer points in 1,000 point increments, but only to participating frequent travel program accounts belonging to you or an owner of the company who is listed as an authorized user on the account." [Emphasis added]
Perhaps this is a petty point, but there are no AUs on business cards. They're employees, right?
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:43 am
mia

Originally Posted by RNE
FROM THE WIKI:
Perhaps this is a petty point, but there are no AUs on business cards. They're employees, right?
Agreed, Business accounts show only the option to add an Employee Card, but Chase still uses the same language today: Points can only be transferred to yourself, or an owner of the company who is listed as an authorized user on your card account.
All point transfers are final.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The requirements to Transfer from a Business account are slightly different than from personal accounts. Please start by reading the Wikipost at the top of this thread:

mia I read the wikipost and not sure if I'm missing something or you are implying otherwise, but it does seem like if P2 adds me as an AU (Employee) under her business Ink Preferred card account, I can link that account to MY frequent flier accounts with United, Southwest, etc. and transfer both her UR points and My UR points (by combining points) to MY frequent flier accounts
Is there something I'm missing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.