Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Effective 11/15/15, the rules are different for CSP vs. UR-earning business cards (like the Ink Plus).

Ink Plus: The new program agreement states that
  • for combining points (i.e., moving between two UR accounts), "[y]ou can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you or one member of your household or owner of the company, as applicable."
  • for transfers from UR to travel partner programs, "[y]ou can transfer points in 1,000 point increments, but only to participating frequent travel program accounts belonging to you or an owner of the company who is listed as an authorized user on the account."
CSP: You can add one household member as an AU and then xfer UR to their programs.

NOTE: According to the Chase website, for both business cards and CSP "only primary cardmember frequent travel program accounts will be saved and authorized user (i.e. householder [sic] member or business owner) frequent travel program account information must be re-entered each time you want to transfer points."

For discussion of technical problems related to combining UR points with other UR accounts, see Problems Combining UR points between accounts.
Print Wikipost

11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Have you already transferred to another AU/owner?
I don't recall I have done that before. I've had another AU but I recently removed him.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 2:16 am

UR transfer to Hyatt not instant.. what could go wrong?

I added an employee card on 12/25 and transferred some miles to his Hyatt account the same day. The transfer is not instant - still not confirmed after 48 hours.

I have a Ink business card. Called Chase and they told me to wait 7 business days..

Any idea?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 7:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by guoguo914
I added an employee card on 12/25 and transferred some miles to his Hyatt account the same day. ....
Is the employee also an owner of the business?

You can transfer points in 1,000 point increments, but only to participating frequent travel program accounts belonging to you, or an owner of the company who is listed as an authorized user on your card account.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 9:14 am

Any recent data points on how strict the owner requirement is for authorized users on a business preferred?

I am thinking of getting rid of my business preferred and also downgrading my reserve, which would leave me without a premium card. Mrs. lkar has a business preferred. If she adds me as an AU will there be more formal ownership documentation required to show my connection to the business. I am an “owner” but only in the legal sense that we live in a community property state.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 10:47 am
mia

Originally Posted by lkar
....Mrs. lkar has a business preferred.....
Did she apply as a Sole Proprietor?
Old Sep 6, 2020, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Did she apply as a Sole Proprietor?
I think so. She has an LLC with an EIN but looking at the way her name is on the card she probably applied as a solo.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
I am listed as an employee/officer on an Ink Plus card (I help my mother run her business part-time). I have my own card and card number separate from my mother's primary card. I've always been able to log into Ultimate Rewards and transfer points directly into my accounts (Southwest, United, etc.) by simply choosing my name from the drop-down menu on the transfer page. Now, as soon as I choose my name, I see this message:

Special handling required. We are unable to process this transfer online. Please call the number on the back of your card for assistance.

The message appears before I even enter my account number (e.g. Rapid Rewards number), and it appears no matter what program I attempt to transfer points to. I called the number on the back of my Ink Plus card and the rep said that my mother has to call in and have me added as an "administrator" on the account. I asked her if this was a recent rule change since I just completed a UR transfer to my Southwest account a couple of months ago with no problems. She didn't know but simply said that I was not authorized to have points transferred under my name. Not a big deal to have my mother call in; I'm just a little surprised that this is suddenly an issue. Anyone else experienced this?
Old Oct 21, 2020, 11:26 am
mia

Originally Posted by ryanmcv
I am listed as an employee/officer on an Ink Plus card....
The rules have evolved. Current rules specify that you must also be an owner of the business:

You may only transfer points to yourself, or an owner of the company who is listed as an authorized user on your card account.
We do not know how Chase enforces the ownership requirement, and that may not be the reason for your current problem, but it's worth knowing.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
I did a search and didn't see anything so forgive me if this is in another thread. I tried to transfer Hyatt points to my daughter's account who is an authorized user on my Chase account. She IS listed as someone that is eligible to transfer to. But I tried this morning and it didn't work. I could go all the way to the transfer screen where it asks you to enter how many points you want to transfer. Then it just never goes through. I called Chase today and the woman was confused why it wasn't going through. Then she was reading something and she never heard of this before but she said the authorized user has to be an authorized user for 1 year before it will allow you to make a transfer. Is this new? It seems crazy you'd have to wait 1 YEAR after you add them to transfer to their account. Is this correct?
Old Jan 19, 2021, 2:55 pm
mia

Originally Posted by saint
.... just never goes through....
Are you trying to transfer from a personal card or from a business card? Is your daughter a member of your household?

In 2019 American Express added a 90 day waiting period for transfers to supplementary cardholder airline/hotel accounts. I wouldn't be surprised if Chase did something similar, although a year seems longer than necessary to discourage abuse.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Originally Posted by mia
Are you trying to transfer from a personal card or from a business card? Is your daughter a member of your household?

In 2019 American Express added a 90 day waiting period for transfers to supplementary cardholder airline/hotel accounts. I wouldn't be surprised if Chase did something similar, although a year seems longer than necessary to discourage abuse.
Hi Mia,

Personal card. My Chase Sapphire Reserve card. Yes, she is the only one listed as an authorized user and she does show up under the drop down menu. I added her on October 9, 2020 so it's been over 90 days. The agent said she has worked there a while and never saw that before. She put me on hold and then said she checked and she learned something new or they changed the rule. She said it's the authorized cardholder has to be on the account as AU for 1 year before you can transfer points to them.

Also, I forgot to mention that there is no error message or anything. It would be helpful if this is the case if they at least put some message acknowledging why it won't go through but the screen just hangs. And I know it's not the website as after I talked to her I just tried transferring to my own Hyatt account and it went through immediately ok.
Brendan likes this.

Last edited by mia; Jan 19, 2021 at 3:38 pm
Old Jan 21, 2021, 5:09 pm

I did a search and didn't see anything so forgive me if this is in another thread. I tried to transfer Hyatt points to my daughter's account who is an authorized user on my Chase account. She IS listed as someone that is eligible to transfer to. But I tried this morning and it didn't work. I could go all the way to the transfer screen where it asks you to enter how many points you want to transfer. Then it just never goes through. I called Chase today and the woman was confused why it wasn't going through. Then she was reading something and she never heard of this before but she said the authorized user has to be an authorized user for 1 year before it will allow you to make a transfer. Is this new? It seems crazy you'd have to wait 1 YEAR after you add them to transfer to their account. Is this correct?
Hi Mia,

Personal card. My Chase Sapphire Reserve card. Yes, she is the only one listed as an authorized user and she does show up under the drop down menu. I added her on October 9, 2020 so it's been over 90 days. The agent said she has worked there a while and never saw that before. She put me on hold and then said she checked and she learned something new or they changed the rule. She said it's the authorized cardholder has to be on the account as AU for 1 year before you can transfer points to them.

Also, I forgot to mention that there is no error message or anything. It would be helpful if this is the case if they at least put some message acknowledging why it won't go through but the screen just hangs. And I know it's not the website as after I talked to her I just tried transferring to my own Hyatt account and it went through immediately ok.
A better approach (IMO) with a Hyatt transfer is to just transfer the points from your Chase UR account to your own Hyatt account. You can then transfer the required points from your Hyatt account to your daughter's Hyatt account. There are some small limitations to this process, and you do need to submit a FORM via email, but it should work for what you are trying to do. Note that this is not an instant process and Hyatt will tell you that it can take up to 30 days, but in my experience (as recent as this past month) they normally handle the process within a few days of sending the form via email. Make sure that the account information that you are providing in the form (name, email, address, Hyatt account #, etc.) matches with the exact information that Hyatt has for both accounts to avoid any delays. In your email to Hyatt with the request you only need to write down a sentence to say that you want to combine your points with your daughter's account for an upcoming award reservation. Hope this helps.
beltway and happychic like this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by halamadrid
A better approach (IMO) with a Hyatt transfer is to just transfer the points from your Chase UR account to your own Hyatt account. You can then transfer the required points from your Hyatt account to your daughter's Hyatt account. There are some small limitations to this process, and you do need to submit a FORM via email, but it should work for what you are trying to do. Note that this is not an instant process and Hyatt will tell you that it can take up to 30 days, but in my experience (as recent as this past month) they normally handle the process within a few days of sending the form via email. Make sure that the account information that you are providing in the form (name, email, address, Hyatt account #, etc.) matches with the exact information that Hyatt has for both accounts to avoid any delays. In your email to Hyatt with the request you only need to write down a sentence to say that you want to combine your points with your daughter's account for an upcoming award reservation. Hope this helps.
Hi halamadrid,

Yes, that's what I usually do but I recently did a Guest of Honor booking for my friend who transferred me miles last week and you can only do transfers once every 30 days so this was easier if I could have transferred directly to her account from Ultimate Rewards.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 9:33 am
mia

....be an authorized user for 1 year....
Have you transferred to anyone else's frequent flyer or airline account in the past year?
Old Jan 29, 2021, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
I initiated a transfer from my wife's CUR account to top off my Marriott Bonvoy account 48 hours ago and it still hasn't processed. I am an AU on her CSP and have been for more than a year. First transfer we've ever made from her account. Just logged in and it has this "points available after 2/7/21" note. Is this typical? Very frustrating...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.