Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:21 pm

Applied for Fairmont card on 6/5 with decision pending. Did not call in and received denial letter on 6/19 citing too many open accounts, recent inquiries, and credit line.

First reconsideration call last week was unsuccessful. Tried calling again last night and immediately offered to move $5k from an existing card. After being placed on hold for a few minutes, I was approved.

I was 23/24 (now 24/24!) and wasn't asked a single question about this on the second reconsideration call.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by thinkorswim
Applied for Fairmont card on 6/5 with decision pending. Did not call in and received denial letter on 6/19 citing too many open accounts, recent inquiries, and credit line.

First reconsideration call last week was unsuccessful. Tried calling again last night and immediately offered to move $5k from an existing card. After being placed on hold for a few minutes, I was approved.

I was 23/24 (now 24/24!) and wasn't asked a single question about this on the second reconsideration call.
Good stuff, had a similar scenario with BA at 50+/24.. hoping for the same outcome with BA for family member now also at 50+/24.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
FWIW- I've added 4 personal cards (two with Chase) and a business card with Chase in the last 24 months. I was instantly approved for the Unlimited in branch. This is the first instant approval with Chase in years for me. The credit line was higher than the usual $5000 or so I've been given lately.

I did refi with them so if that is the cause that is obviously not a practical strategy.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 12:58 pm

Another data point: Marriott Business approved. Applied 7/1, went pending. CSR asked some questions, and said she would be recommending approval, but needed higher level review first. Telephone status recording gave the "you will be notified in writing within 30 days" message, but today tells me I've been approved.

Well over 5/24 (But no apps in the last 6+ months). Legitimate business, good income, good FICO, good personal history with Chase. Three open Chase personal cards, this is my first Chase Biz card.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Relative applied for United card after receiving targeted offer. Got denied for having too many cards.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by opus2002
Relative applied for United card after receiving targeted offer. Got denied for having too many cards.
How many cards had they applied for in the last 24 months?
Old Jul 8, 2016, 3:52 pm

Applied for United and SW Premier today (at 3/24 prior to today). Instant approval for SW, went to pending on the United, as expected, since it was the second app. It showed the 7-10 day message on the application page and the email confirmation said 30 days. I tried calling the two status check numbers in the wiki and a third status check line (888-338-2586). After I entered my social on the third number, it said "please hold while I transfer you, this call may be monitored or recorded". I didn't want to talk to a CSR, so I hung up. The numbers in the wiki told me to press "#", but I was worried that would connect me with a CSR, too?
Old Jul 8, 2016, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by opus2002
Relative applied for United card after receiving targeted offer.
Got denied for having too many cards.
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter if the offer is targeted - if the relative has gotten more cards than the "5/24 rule" allows
(see wiki at the top of this thread) their application will almost surely be denied.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JeffH1
Applied for United and SW Premier today (at 3/24 prior to today). Instant approval for SW, went to pending on the United, as expected, since it was the second app. It showed the 7-10 day message on the application page and the email confirmation said 30 days. I tried calling the two status check numbers in the wiki and a third status check line (888-338-2586). After I entered my social on the third number, it said "please hold while I transfer you, this call may be monitored or recorded". I didn't want to talk to a CSR, so I hung up. The numbers in the wiki told me to press "#", but I was worried that would connect me with a CSR, too?
I would wait it out if I were you. Spouse got pending for Freedom b/c CSP approved 2 months prior (I think, b/c otherwise at 4/24). After about 3 weeks a denial letter came. THEN called recon and talked them into approval.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
BA for 5/24

Hi just curious if anyone has successfully applied for the Chase British Airways card after the 5/24 for co-brand? The Wiki indicates that this is not one of those that were not affected but still would like to see if anyone was successful as I don't see much mentioning about this.

Thanks very much for any tip and help, good luck!
Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:27 am

Applied for the Hyatt Card and had was in limbo for 3 weeks. Finally approved but in order to do so, they took $5,000 of my limit from each of my Slate and my Southwest card for a $10,000 limit. I know that you could call and get Chase to move credit lines for approval in the past but I wasn't aware they would do it on their own. Either way, I'm happy.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by V6Jeep4x4
Applied for the Hyatt Card and had was in limbo for 3 weeks. Finally approved but in order to do so, they took $5,000 of my limit from each of my Slate and my Southwest card for a $10,000 limit. I know that you could call and get Chase to move credit lines for approval in the past but I wasn't aware they would do it on their own. Either way, I'm happy.
Generally when I've gotten some message thanking me for being a customer and requesting a call to see how they can better serve my needs and have not called this happens.

Congratulations and enjoy two nights somewhere.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by NttDocomo
Hi just curious if anyone has successfully applied for the Chase British Airways card after the 5/24 for co-brand? The Wiki indicates that this is not one of those that were not affected but still would like to see if anyone was successful as I don't see much mentioning about this.

Thanks very much for any tip and help, good luck!
As I keep saying, the "rule" is: More than 5 in 24 is automatic denial;
Exactly 5 in 24 depends on your credit history, income, Fico, history with Chase, etc. Assuming all of those are solid, you will probably be approved with exactly 5 in 24.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
As I keep saying, the "rule" is: More than 5 in 24 is automatic denial;
Exactly 5 in 24 depends on your credit history, income, Fico, history with Chase, etc. Assuming all of those are solid, you will probably be approved with exactly 5 in 24.
Thanks RobertHanson for your help. So we are very much confirmed that British Airways card is also subject to 5/24? I am over 6/24 so trying to see if it make sense to apply for BA. As I don't see much mentioning of failure getting it vs United it's very much confirmed that subject to 5/24.

Thanks again for tips and help!
Old Jul 9, 2016, 1:04 pm

Chase 5/24 Loophole: Pre-approved Offers?

I recently went into a Chase branch with the intention of applying for a pre-qualified / pre-approved card on the spot. Like most of us here, I'm way over 5/24.

Unfortunately, the banker told me he could only have me apply for the CSP, Freedom or Slate (*maybe checking if I was pre-qualified, but perhaps he didn't even really get that part) and that for other cards, such as the UMPE, I would just have to apply online.

Does this seem right? Can I actually not be pre-qualified in branch for non-Chase branded cards, in order to get past the 5/24 rule? Any data points on being pre-approved/ qualified for non Chase cards, in branch or any tips on what to tell the banker so they can know how to check for pre-qualified offers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.