Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Damn, finally hit with the 5/24 denial on my wifes report
Old Jul 15, 2016, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by rm456
The call mentioned they declined due to too many recently opened accounts, and then involved a nice discussion of the ones which were opened. Among those included two opened in May 2014 listed as recent. I argued that same point (As May was 26 months from time of application), and verified that yes, both cards popped up in May on my credit report, not one getting propagated to June. But they said that was the rule and they wouldn't budge.

Application date was 7/1, got the 7-10 day pending, and then notified Monday in the mail about the decline. Called Wednesday afternoon.
So did they actually say 5/24, or just "too many recently opened accounts"? Because the latter is a known issue for some time, unrelated to 5/24.

Edit: "too many" in relation to how they feel about you and your credit history. This number will vary from person to person.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:02 pm

Had a chat with a banker yesterday about the regular Freedom card with all the discontinuation rumors.

Take this with a grain of salt, but she said they will most likely discontinue offering Freedom soon and those who already have it will be grandfathered with all the category benefits.

Kind of like what happened to the discontinued sallie mae 5% grocery/gas card I reckon.

So, I'd recommend getting one as soon as you can or PC one of your cards to freedom if you're able just in case.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by pstrider85
Had a chat with a banker yesterday about the regular Freedom card with all the discontinuation rumors.

Take this with a grain of salt, but she said they will most likely discontinue offering Freedom soon and those who already have it will be grandfathered with all the category benefits.

Kind of like what happened to the discontinued sallie mae 5% grocery/gas card I reckon.

So, I'd recommend getting one as soon as you can or PC one of your cards to freedom if you're able just in case.
Either something changed in the past month which I doubt but Chase has publicly announced Freedom isn't going away.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:48 pm

Chase Ink Plus question

Would it be worth it to get a federal EIN to get this card? Or would there be an issue at tax time?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
Originally Posted by Mace03
Would it be worth it to get a federal EIN to get this card? Or would there be an issue at tax time?
you can sign up using 'sole proprietor' and your SSN. your name would be the business name.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by odin99
you can sign up using 'sole proprietor' and your SSN. your name would be the business name.

But would it be more likely approved with an EIN vs SSN.

I have two personal chase cards right now CSP and Freedom, I just got these earlier in the year. Also tried the Freedom unlimited but was denied for opening too many with them in a short time. But I only have 3/24 at this point. This was a few months ago though. I have decided the Ink Plus (or BA card) would be best to try for next ( I need Avios for a Biz class flight on EI).
Old Jul 18, 2016, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by JJ804
One thing I learned (maybe others already know) is that in practice they are doing a 5/25 rule. This application was in late June 2016, but in their initial review they were still counting an app from early June 2014 against me. I had figured it would be excluded, but they said they couldn't see the day of the month for the application, so they had to include it.
In a very similar situation in regard to applying for CSP. I did an AOR in July 2014, opening 4 Chase (Ink, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG) and 1 Wells Fargo account. Since then I've opened 3 others (2 AMEX, 1 Citi in May, August, and September 2015,) It sounds like I had better wait till next month at least to insure the 2014 AOR actually drops off??
Old Jul 18, 2016, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by ymarker
I hope it is not a denial. However, the dearth of DP's of bypassing 5/24 without an in branch pre-approval has this sinking feeling, despite the unpredictability of 7-10 in 2016.
Just got a letter in the mail confirming I was declined for CSP for "Too many credit cards opened in the last 2 years"

I have way more than 5/24; more like almost a dozen (no AU's, all primary). The attempted bypass of 5/24 via opening an a/c in branch and having the banker apply for me failed. Wondering if it is even worth trying to call and recon
Old Jul 18, 2016, 5:47 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mace03
But would it be more likely approved with an EIN vs SSN..
If you apply for a business card and supply an EIN you will -also- provide your SSN. It's not one versus the other, it's one or both.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 7:15 pm

My wife just got denied due to too many credit cards opened... She hasn't opened any in the last ten years, they must also be considering cards that people are AU on or something?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:35 am

Programs: AA, Alaska, Hilton, Marriott
Wife applied for British Airlines card. Got the 7-10 day message. 4 days later was approved, did not call.

She had opened 4 Chase cards (United, CSP, Freedom Unlimited, IHG) and Barclay Arrival + in the past 4.5 months.

Just wanted to throw it out there for the data collectors.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:31 am

Cancel/Reapply datapoint: Hyatt Visa cancelled 6/15/16 (applied/bonused in 2013, so well beyond 24 month) - reapplied 7/19/16 - instant approval (no 5/24 issues).

I waited until I got some closure alerts from credit monitoring services to be safe as relatively few datapoints on the "wait after cancel to reapply" timeframe here.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by ymarker
Just got a letter in the mail confirming I was declined for CSP for "Too many credit cards opened in the last 2 years"

I have way more than 5/24; more like almost a dozen (no AU's, all primary). The attempted bypass of 5/24 via opening an a/c in branch and having the banker apply for me failed. Wondering if it is even worth trying to call and recon
One of the travel blogs reported yesterday multiple data points from readers that Banker "special consideration" form does not help with 5/24.

If you are clearly over 5/24 calling Recon is a waste of time.

Last edited by RobertHanson; Jul 19, 2016 at 10:52 am
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:51 am

deleted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.