Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2016, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by silver02accord
Figured I would get the denial letter and did. I've applied for 5 and been approved for 5 in the last ~8 months including amex plat, amex ed, citi exec, chase csp, chase ink. Also an authorized user on wifes csp card.

Reason for denial was "too may credit cards opened in last 2 years"

I'll try recon and see if i can move cl from csp.
The AU card put you >5/24. Call and tell them it's only an AU card. 50% chance that will do it. Call more than once if necessary.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 5:45 pm

Data Point-

Co- branded card and lowering CL continues to work.

Applied for Hyatt on April 10th, received the 30 day automated info, then the 2 weeks notice till today I was approved for 25 CL

25/24 . Last Chase application was February 17th for co -branded card.

Last CL lowered was late last week.

Question-

Does the 3 months to meet min spending start on approval or application date?

Last edited by metoo; Apr 14, 2016 at 6:00 pm
Old Apr 14, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Virgin America Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
The AU card put you >5/24. Call and tell them it's only an AU card. 50% chance that will do it. Call more than once if necessary.
If the real reason for the denial is 5/24, the AU card doesn't matter as he listed 5 cards of his own so that would put him at the limit.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by jsk1973
With five new credit cards in less than 60 days, you're going to have a hard time explaining why you really need the sixth.
I agree - I should have waited a little longer (wanted to get cards in time for paying my taxes with though).

Chase only knows of the three cards with them though. The other two cards were from applications after my credit was pulled by Chase. If I apply again later though, they would see those new cards.

And I wouldn't *think* I would look like a churner if they only see 3 new cards in the last 24 months (all with them though). The issue is that they were too close together, I think.

Originally Posted by Sedentary
5/24 is not being applied to the Ink card. So, use those Chase cards, show them that you can pay off big balances, then try for the Ink again in 3-6 months.
Yeah, I can do that, but when I reapply they'll see the AmEx SPG and Citi AA cards - and probably another 2 apps that I'll make between now and then - don't you think it would be harder to get approved for the Ink Plus then (not because of Chase apps, but other cards), regardless of 5/24)?

Regardless, I'll probably try calling recon again tomorrow, but I think there's a slim chance at success. Thanks,
--Kyle
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Chase recon often results in a fresh credit pull, so it's possible they already know about the subsequent apps. (The Amex account probably hasn't reported to your reports yet, but the Citi account might have, depending on the date of your first closing date.)
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by metoo
Data Point-

Co- branded card and lowering CL continues to work.

Applied for Hyatt on April 10th, received the 30 day automated info, then the 2 weeks notice till today I was approved for 25 CL

25/24 . Last Chase application was February 17th for co -branded card.

Last CL lowered was late last week.

Question-

Does the 3 months to meet min spending start on approval or application date?
Its usually closer to 105 days from application with Chase.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Irish80
If the real reason for the denial is 5/24, the AU card doesn't matter as he listed 5 cards of his own so that would put him at the limit.
Recon call went well. They verified application info. Then came back on the line and asked me specifically about the authorized user on my wife's csp. Asked if I was responsible for bill and I said no.

Rep came back and said he was recommending for approval(or something like that) and final review. and I'll be notified by mail in a week or two.

Rep never mentioned they were pulling my credit report again, I don't think they did because I applied for a prestige moments after my initial freedom application.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Irish80
Exactly 5 in 24 is not a reason for denial. A clueless rep might say that when someone is being denied for some other reason, but that doesn't make it true.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:24 am

Time Between Chase Apps

I recently got a Chase Freedom Unlimited card. I also want to apply for the CSP. How long is it advised to wait between Chase applications? I want to do it sooner rather than later so I don't have to worry about the 5/24 rule, but don't want to be too quick given the scrutiny chase seems to give to people looking for rewards.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:57 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Action:
Hi Carolina13, welcome to FT.
I'm going to merge this into our consolidated Applying thread.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by kyamnitz
Yeah, I can do that, but when I reapply they'll see the AmEx SPG and Citi AA cards - and probably another 2 apps that I'll make between now and then - don't you think it would be harder to get approved for the Ink Plus then (not because of Chase apps, but other cards), regardless of 5/24)?
When I got my Ink+ I had 8 new cards opened in the last 3 months showing on my reports. The business side of Chase has historically shown much more concern over the stability of your business and your Chase history then the number of new accounts opened. The Ink decisions are (almost?) all made based on human review, not computer models.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by carolina13
I recently got a Chase Freedom Unlimited card. I also want to apply for the CSP. How long is it advised to wait between Chase applications? I want to do it sooner rather than later so I don't have to worry about the 5/24 rule, but don't want to be too quick given the scrutiny chase seems to give to people looking for rewards.
The only "rule" I know of with Chase (other than 5+/24 of course) is no more than 2 cards in 30 days, or 3 cards in 3 months. Good Luck !
Old Apr 15, 2016, 2:55 pm

I applied for the Chase IHG card the other and got the pending and the 30 day email. I then called the automated line this afternoon just to see if there was any update. After putting in my SS#, it immediately tried transferring me to a representative (without providing any information about my application). I immediately hung up. Anyone experienced this before? Do you know if it's a sign of anything?
Old Apr 15, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Wanted some advice on what people think is going on with my CSP app.
  • Applied 4/3 for CSP and FU
  • Called automated line on 4/5
  • After entering SSN, got transferred automatically to a CSR in the Fraud Department
  • After verifying some personal details, she approved FU for $30k (and it showed almost immediately online)
  • I asked about the CSP and she had to transfer me to another agent (recon I assume)
  • That agent eventually 'conditionally' approved the CSP for $20k and said I would get the cards within 2 weeks

Since then, I got the denial letter for the CSP dated 4/4 and my FU cards in the mail. The automated line states the 2 weeks message for the CSP.

What do we think is going on with the CSP app? Since it has been 10 days, I thought it would have shown up in my online account if it been approved, and I would have expected the cards to have shown up by now.

Last edited by maizenblue07; Apr 15, 2016 at 3:35 pm
Old Apr 15, 2016, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by silver02accord
Recon call went well. They verified application info. Then came back on the line and asked me specifically about the authorized user on my wife's csp. Asked if I was responsible for bill and I said no.

Rep came back and said he was recommending for approval(or something like that) and final review. and I'll be notified by mail in a week or two.

Rep never mentioned they were pulling my credit report again, I don't think they did because I applied for a prestige moments after my initial freedom application.
Logged in to Chase and the Freedom is shown as approved with $17k CL. 2 for 2 on Chase UR card recon calls woo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.