Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Virgin America Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by EricUSC
Should I remove myself as an authorized user just to be safe if I am close to the 5/24? How long after I remove myself will this be off my credit report?

I just added myself to a family member's CSP so I can transfer points between myself and this person and can always re-add myself at a later date.
I'd wait to see how it actually reports first. It can take a good 30 days or so before you're removed on the reports after you submit the request to Chase. Occasionally you have to file a dispute with the CRAs if it's not removed after Chase reports it to them.

What card are you trying to apply for and how close are you to 5/24?
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Irish80
I'd wait to see how it actually reports first. It can take a good 30 days or so before you're removed on the reports after you submit the request to Chase. Occasionally you have to file a dispute with the CRAs if it's not removed after Chase reports it to them.

What card are you trying to apply for and how close are you to 5/24?
Application history for last 24 months:
3/2015 - Non-Chase Personal
1/2016 - Chase Marriott Personal
3/2016 - Non-Chase Business (Used SSN as tax ID)
3/2016 - Authorized User - Chase Sapphire Preferred

Planned Future Applications:
5/2016 - Chase Hyatt
9/2016 - Chase Sapphire Preferred

I suppose the Non-Chase Business won't count even though I used my SSN?
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Should I remove myself as an authorized user just to be safe if I am close to the 5/24? How long after I remove myself will this be off my credit report?

I just added myself to a family member's CSP so I can transfer points between myself and this person and can always re-add myself at a later date.
It depends on when the "account opened" date is reporting as. If it's longer than 24 months ago, don't worry about it. Otherwise, you'll need to remove yourself as an AU, then call each credit bureau to request removal. It won't fall off automatically.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Virgin America Elevate Gold

5/2016 - Chase Hyatt

As they wont know about the business account you only have 3 accounts that would show as opened in the last 24 months. So even with your two planned applications you would be within the 5/24 as long as you don't apply for anything else. You'll be fine even with the AU account
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:45 pm

5/2016 - Chase Hyatt

As they wont know about the business account you only have 3 accounts that would show as opened in the last 24 months. So you're fine with the first application but if the AU account shows opened in 3/24 you'll need to get it removed before September.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National Exec, Hertz Pres
As they wont know about the business account you only have 3 accounts that would show as opened in the last 24 months. So you're fine with the first application but if the AU account shows opened in 3/24 you'll need to get it removed before September.
Thanks for the advice, Irish80! So I'm gathering that the Non-Chase Business card won't count even though I used my SSN. This means that I currently have 3 cards in the past 24 months. After I apply for the Chase Hyatt, that'll be 4. Shouldn't I still be ok to apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred since it'll be card #5?

My understanding of the 5/24 rule is that they'll deny you if you already have 5 cards in the past 24 month meaning you can't apply for your 6th card. Or is my understanding incorrect and it's that I am unable to apply for the 5th card?
Old Apr 22, 2016, 6:18 pm

Thanks for the advice, Irish80! So I'm gathering that the Non-Chase Business card won't count even though I used my SSN. This means that I currently have 3 cards in the past 24 months. After I apply for the Chase Hyatt, that'll be 4. Shouldn't I still be ok to apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred since it'll be card #5?

My understanding of the 5/24 rule is that they'll deny you if you already have 5 cards in the past 24 month meaning you can't apply for your 6th card. Or is my understanding incorrect and it's that I am unable to apply for the 5th card?
The rule supposedly is 5 or more opened so technically opening the 5th card would be against the 'rule'. There have been people that were still approved even though they had 5 or more opened but it usually occurs if a card shows as pre approved and you get an instant approval.

As for the non Chase business card it doesn't matter that you used your SSN, only what they can see on a credit report (or know about in the case of a Chase business card) matters and business cards with the exception of CapOne don't show on personal credit reports.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:06 pm

You have 3 months from your approval, not when you applied.
Thanks! Good to know.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 8:46 am

The rule supposedly is 5 or more opened so technically opening the 5th card would be against the 'rule'. There have been people that were still approved even though they had 5 or more opened but it usually occurs if a card shows as pre approved and you get an instant approval.
Why do people keep saying this? The "rule" is more than five, so if you have five already, you can do one more app with Chase. But if you have 6, you can't.

I think the confusion is that some people have been denied, for a different reason, with only 5 open, and they either guessed it was because of 5/24 (sic) or maybe a CSR used that as an excuse when it wasn't the real reason. When the computer denies an app, the CSR doesn't necessarily know why that happened, and may well try to guess the reason when queried about it.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 2:02 pm

Hi All,
Just a few quick questions about 5/24 (that may be "duh" questions, but just want to make sure!) if anyone can help?

1. Does a "charge card" count towards 5/24? Specifically, the American Express Premier Rewards Gold card? If so, I'm at 6/24; if not, I'm at 5 and should have a shot in a month or two.

2. "Business" cards don't count towards 5/24 because they don't show up on the credit report (except Capital One), right? But a business card with Chase would, I assume?

3. All personal cards should show up to them, right? Like AmEx SPG, Citi AAdvantage in particular?

4. Being an AU counts toward 5/24, but if I ADD someone as an AU to *my* Sapphire card, that doesn't count towards 5/24, right?

In a few months, I'd like to try for the Freedom Unlimited and try for the Ink Plus again (the only card I've been declined for), but it may be pointless to try for the Freedom Unlimited if I'm at 6/24 (all from 2016 and 3 of them with Chase)... Thanks!
--Kyle

Last edited by kyleay; Apr 23, 2016 at 2:08 pm
Old Apr 23, 2016, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by kyamnitz
Hi All,
Just a few quick questions about 5/24 (that may be "duh" questions, but just want to make sure!) if anyone can help?

1. Does a "charge card" count towards 5/24? Specifically, the American Express Premier Rewards Gold card? If so, I'm at 6/24; if not, I'm at 5 and should have a shot in a month or two. -Yes they count

2. "Business" cards don't count towards 5/24 because they don't show up on the credit report (except Capital One), right? But a business card with Chase would, I assume?Yes Chase business cards count because they know about them

3. All personal cards should show up to them, right? Like AmEx SPG, Citi AAdvantage in particular?Yes, every card that shows on your credit reports counts

4. Being an AU counts toward 5/24, but if I ADD someone as an AU to *my* Sapphire card, that doesn't count towards 5/24, right?Correct, that has no effect

In a few months, I'd like to try for the Freedom Unlimited and try for the Ink Plus again (the only card I've been declined for), but it may be pointless to try for the Freedom Unlimited if I'm at 6/24 (all from 2016 and 3 of them with Chase)... Thanks!
--Kyle
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by kyamnitz
--Kyle
DW was declined for an Ink + just over a year ago. Then declined for a mere Ink cash just over 6 months ago. Not knowing any better ( AFAIK it wasn't mentioned on this thread at that time) she called Recon. Or as it's sometime known Chase Denial Center.

A couple of months ago she again applied for an Ink +, and despite being instructed by Chase to call, she did not call. This time she was approved.

Chase did send a letter asking for a copy of a utility bill to prove her residence, which of course she mailed in. But no call, and this time no denial.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA++
Hi,

I read the wiki and it says:
"Great! So if I received the same card more than 2 years ago, I can apply again and get the bonus, right?
NO. Apart from the normal considerations (such as your credit rating), there are three key considerations:
If you still have your old card of the same type, you're ineligible"

So, I only have 1 CSP card in my life and I got it 4 years ago and its bonus. I still have the card.
1. Does it mean I am not qualified anymore to apply another one and get the 50k bonus?
2. Do I need to close it first before I can reapply?

My last chase card was ink plus received sign-up bonus on 3/2015.

I am asking because I am having a major purchase of $4,000 soon and I want to open a new card that can take advantage of that with mileage as main objective.
2. Any recommendation of other cards if CSP is not viable option for me?
Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ssg10
Hi,

I read the wiki and it says:
"Great! So if I received the same card more than 2 years ago, I can apply again and get the bonus, right?
NO. Apart from the normal considerations (such as your credit rating), there are three key considerations:
If you still have your old card of the same type, you're ineligible"

So, I only have 1 CSP card in my life and I got it 4 years ago and its bonus. I still have the card.
1. Does it mean I am not qualified anymore to apply another one and get the 50k bonus?
2. Do I need to close it first before I can reapply?

My last chase card was ink plus received sign-up bonus on 3/2015.

I am asking because I am having a major purchase of $4,000 soon and I want to open a new card that can take advantage of that with mileage as main objective.
2. Any recommendation of other cards if CSP is not viable option for me?
Thanks!
Just close your CSP card first. You should be OK.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Sorry if this has been mentioned in the thread, but I did check the wiki and it wasn't explicit:

Do credit card rejections count toward the 5/24 rule? My friend applied to and was rejected by 5 cards in a single day recently. I'm curious if he will be able to apply for the CSP sometime in the next 2 years (impact of rejections on credit score aside ...).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.