Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:41 pm
rev

Originally Posted by cmlsu
I just got a call from 302-427-3930 who claimed to be chase lending services.

Is this legitimate? I hope I didn't just make a mistake. Advice appreciated. (Her knowing I just opened two SW cards got me)
Are you asking advice if they grill you for two open apps, or if it was a scam caller? Both are legit concerns, but I can't tell if you're concerned about if the call was "legitimate", or if you made a "mistake" applying for those cards.

Originally Posted by anders228
Is Chase asking every SWA Biz applicant to call and answer questions about their business? I got an Ink card two years ago and would rather not have to go through the inquisition. If so, I might try for the two personal SWA at the same time.
Chase grills harder than most banks for business apps, I doubt it's just the SW card. They've always asked me a lot of questions, but not much more than the app asks. Likely trying to verify my story and metrics line up. Strange they're so stingy considering Citi and Amex just hand me whatever the hell I want. This past United biz app I did last month I feared the same thing as you, especially since it was my 4th Chase business app in 2 years. I let it stay pending and FINALLY got approved 3 weeks later - no call. Its always worth waiting, but the issue now is if it will stay pending all the way into when the 5/24 rule takes effect if you don't do it soon enough.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SW Companion
Originally Posted by rev
Are you asking advice if they grill you for two open apps, or if it was a scam caller? Both are legit concerns, but I can't tell if you're concerned about if the call was "legitimate", or if you made a "mistake" applying for those cards.

Sorry for not being clearer...my concern is only towards whether or not it was a legitimate call from chase. My two SW cards are open and minimum spend met. I contacted chase via sm this morning and they stated there was no notes on accounts to contact me. However, I dont know what that particular cs representative could see as Hyatt was not yet open. I googled the number and could not get a consensus.

As a side note, my Hyatt card was approved about four hours ago and for the credit limit I told the "suspicious caller" I needed over phone. Sign of legitimacy or weird coincidence...dunno. I went ahead and put an initial fraud warning on my credit reports for 90 days to try and get a better sense of it.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:30 pm

Is Chase asking every SWA Biz applicant to call and answer questions about their business? I got an Ink card two years ago and would rather not have to go through the inquisition. If so, I might try for the two personal SWA at the same time.
I had to call recon last week for a SW business card. There was not one question about the business itself which was sold years ago.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by kyamnitz
Hi All,
Just a few quick questions if you'd be kind enough to help... I haven't applied for any new credit cards in the past year, maybe two. I'm planning on getting 2 or maybe even 3 of the Chase Southwest cards. I'm wanting to start doing a bit of credit card churning and thought I'd start with Chase cards since I won't be able to get them after I churn other cards. So:
1. Would it be best to apply for two in a day, or wait a week or so after the first one?
2. I don't think I'd need to reduce my CL before applying one, but maybe after applying for the first (or second if I can apply for two right away)?
3. When I reduce my credit limits, do I do that by secure message, calling the credit card company, or what? Do I give a reason? And how much should I reduce it to? For example, I have an Ink card with $11k limit. Ask to reduce to $5k?
4. Would it be better to apply for the Plus and Personal Premier, or Plus and Business (I do own a business)?
Thank you!!
--Kyle
I was approved last week for 2 SW cards, Premier Business and Personal.

Given that I will be shut out at Chase for at least years to come ( wife will do the Chase apps in 24 months) I plan on completing CP via a 3rd SW card.........the Plus. I lowered the limit on my Premier card from 28K to $10K a few days ago and will apply in late March for the PLUS assuming 5/24 on co brands has not kicked in.

If you send me a PM around that time I will update you on how it went.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 5:09 pm

Tightening up?

From April (or whenever the rules take effect), I will be persona non grata to Chase. The wife will be as well. I don't expect this to change as long they continue to believe that 5/24 is a good idea.

For now, though, we're looking for one last card or two. She applied for one of the cobranded (non-Chase) cards and went pending. Recon calls 1 and 2 resulted in denials. Recon call 3, however, did not even get her a reconsideration--she was told that because the application had been reconsidered once, it could not be reconsidered again.

Is this a thing? Or did she just get an agent who didn't want to go through the motions?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by charlinator
From April (or whenever the rules take effect), I will be persona non grata to Chase. The wife will be as well. I don't expect this to change as long they continue to believe that 5/24 is a good idea.

For now, though, we're looking for one last card or two. She applied for one of the cobranded (non-Chase) cards and went pending. Recon calls 1 and 2 resulted in denials. Recon call 3, however, did not even get her a reconsideration--she was told that because the application had been reconsidered once, it could not be reconsidered again.

Is this a thing? Or did she just get an agent who didn't want to go through the motions?
FWIW I had my first ever recon call to Chase last week. Based on reports here I was ready to just say thank you and hang up figuring I would be given the 3rd degree and denied.

The call could not have gone smoother and the agent could not have been nicer.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I got GRILLED on the SWA Biz app. GRILLED. Ridic. On the other hand, my Ink app went to pending and then approved 2 weeks later with no phone call.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I've been reading about AOR online b/c I'm hoping to do Freedom + Marriott (Chase) then Citi or Amex for Hilton. Will the two chase go in as 1 pull and/or will they all go in as 1 pull, if I'm lucky? Trying to decide if I should do the AOR or just space it out.

Also, read that Chase will reject 2 personal apps in one day/succession. Any data points on this?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I've been reading about AOR online b/c I'm hoping to do Freedom + Marriott (Chase) then Citi or Amex for Hilton. Will the two chase go in as 1 pull and/or will they all go in as 1 pull, if I'm lucky? Trying to decide if I should do the AOR or just space it out.

Also, read that Chase will reject 2 personal apps in one day/succession. Any data points on this?
Two Chase personals on the same day could go in as 1 pull, but I don't know what you mean by "will they all go in as 1 pull, if I'm lucky" - different banks will definitely not combine pulls.

Chase has definitely rejected the second app on the same day before. I think it is quite risky.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs
Two Chase personals on the same day could go in as 1 pull, but I don't know what you mean by "will they all go in as 1 pull, if I'm lucky" - different banks will definitely not combine pulls.

Chase has definitely rejected the second app on the same day before. I think it is quite risky.
I read somewhere that the credit bureaus will combine them (not necessarily the banks), but yeah two banks as 1 pull is stupid. My bad. I need to do a little more reading re the 2 personals in one day. The Freedom and Marriott are such different products that I was hoping it would be ok. Sigh.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs

I applied 2/12 for a SW Premier Personal and Business. Personal was IA, Business went 7-10 day pending and was approved very easy at recon this past Friday.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:40 pm

Follow up on my post from last week when Chase wanted 'proof of address' for my INK application....

I called them today and they said address verification was complete and then transferred me to a 'customer service representative' for further application processing. The rep asked me the usual questions Chase asks on business apps and put me on hold...came back and offered to approve me right away if I agreed to close my oldest Chase card. What! That petty thing has a $200 credit limit. I keep it around since it's my oldest card and it will affect my 'average age of accounts' darastically. I explained the same to the rep and wanted to ask him what is it that you're smoking but I kept it polite. He was also polite. He then said the second option is that he will submit it for a secondary review and advise them to approve me with the minimum $5k line but the decision process can take a few days. I said OK as I was not going to close my oldest credit card and finished the call. Now the automated system days "we will notify you in 30 days" vs "your application is pending ... 7-10 days" message.

What do you guys think? Should I expect a approval or not?

Last edited by CodeAdam10; Feb 22, 2016 at 8:03 pm
Old Feb 22, 2016, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by cmlsu
I just got a call from 302-427-3930 who claimed to be chase lending services...Is this legitimate?
Type the phone number into Google and you will get various threads regarding that number, for example the two below.

The consensus in the threads is that the number is not Chase; it is a scam.

http://dncl.me/3024273930.tel

https://www.callercenter.com/302-427-3930.html
Old Feb 22, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Follow up on my post from last week when Chase wanted 'proof of address' for my INK application....

I called them today and they said address verification was complete and then transferred me to a 'customer service representative' for further application processing. The rep asked me the usual questions Chase asks on business apps and put me on hold...came back and offered to approve me right away if I agreed to close my oldest Chase card. What! That petty thing has a $200 credit limit. I keep it around since it's my oldest card and it will affect my 'average age of accounts' darastically. I explained the same to the rep and wanted to ask him what is it that you're smoking but I kept it polite. He was also polite. He then said the second option is that he will submit it for a secondary review and advise them to approve me with the minimum $5k line but the decision process can take a few days. I said OK as I was not going to close my oldest credit card and finished the call. Now the automated system days "we will notify you in 30 days" vs "your application is pending ... 7-10 days" message.

What do you guys think? Should I expect a approval or not?
very strange. i wonder why they wanted you to close that card. what card was it specifically? seems more likely they'd have asked for you to reduce your credit line on one of your chase cards. g'luck with the secondary review..
Old Feb 22, 2016, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I read somewhere that the credit bureaus will combine them (not necessarily the banks), but yeah two banks as 1 pull is stupid. My bad. I need to do a little more reading re the 2 personals in one day. The Freedom and Marriott are such different products that I was hoping it would be ok. Sigh.
Each app generates 1 pull, but if the pulls are all from same bank with IDENTICAL information, (name, address and internal code used to pull) to the SAME bureau, the bureau would combine the 2 pulls into 1.

Fwiw, since last year Chase pulls 2 bureaus on all my apps which are all instant approvals. There are others who also reported Chase pulls 2 bureaus on their apps.

Therefore you cannot count on both Chase apps would have the pulls combined by the bureau, for it could be pulling from 2 bureaus.

On top of that, the information now is real time, may be just seconds delay. The subsequent apps from other banks they all will see any inquiries before that. There is NO DELAY in reporting inquiries like in a couple years ago. AoR does not serve the primary purpose these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.