Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does Closing a Chase Credit Card Account have to be so Distasteful

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Closing a Chase Credit Card Account have to be so Distasteful

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Does Closing a Chase Credit Card Account have to be so Distasteful?

OK, I've had a United Presidential Plus Matercard account for 3-4 and decided to close it. This card was always my fallback card if I went somewhere that didn't accept AMEX. Plus, I've mostly stopped flying on United so it seems to make no sense to continue with this card.

I called the Chase Presidential Plus line and talked to an agent who throughout the call I was unable hear and repeatedly had to ask her to speak up. When I indicated I did not wish to renew my account, she started to read me something off a script. It was so robotic and impersonal (and I couldn't hear what she was saying anyway) I told her I did not want to hear the whole standard spiel but that she should just close my account. She just kept on reading off her screen in a very monotone voice. Seriously, is this the best Chase can do? You would think they would put their better people on the elite card lines.

Anyway, this experience left a bad taste in my mouth with regards to Chase as a banking operation. I'm moving to another city/state in June and the metro area I'm going to has a very large Chase presence. I need to change banks once I move and Chase was on my short list. Not any more.

Anyone else have an unpleasant experience when trying to close their Chase credit card account? Is their goal to make it as difficult and unpleasant as possible when one wants to close the account??

Last edited by Seat 1F; Apr 18, 2015 at 4:14 pm
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:17 pm
In memoriam

Personally, I have never had such an experience with cancelling a Chase card. But, it could certainly happen now that the banks have decided it is a good idea to torture both their customers and employees with their mandatory scripts.

Apparently a lot of folks dread cancellation calls and use email or US Mail.

I don't mind the calls because I always hope for a giant retention bonus offer.

I doubt that switching banks will avoid scripted calls.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
If I am sure I want to cancel a card, I just use the company's secure message system, and avoid the phone entirely. It's always quick and easy to close a card that way.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
That's too bad.

My experiences have always been either:

"OK," or

"[Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah] x thousand points?"
Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:19 pm

These days they are more than willing and eager to hit the " cancel" button than offer you anything.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Send them an email...simple.,,
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by satman40
Send them an email...simple.,,
Meh.....not gonna do that. I'm so over Chase after that call and have no plan to deal with them again. Too many other bank options out there.

If Chase cannot figure out that they should provide quality customer service to elite cardholders in the event said cardholder wants to expand the relationship, then they should exit the banking business. If Chase follows up with me with a questionnaire about the call, I may respond. However, I'm not gonna chase them to let them know my call to close account totally put me off Chase for any future business. I doubt I'll hear from them.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by Seat 1F
Meh.....not gonna do that. I'm so over Chase after that call and have no plan to deal with them again. Too many other bank options out there.
So you let one rep...in a call center no less...turn you off towards what is quite arguably the most generous/lucrative/diverse bank bonus and rewards issuer?

I guarantee you could find a robotic/monotone CSR at every single bank in existence. Call centers especially have a higher percentage of these types.

I firmly believe that 90% of the quality of your banking experience comes from the banker/manager you work with. There are good and bad bankers at every bank. I find the best offer or product I can, and then shop the B&M locations to find the best reps I can.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by roki
So you let one rep...in a call center no less...turn you off towards what is quite arguably the most generous/lucrative/diverse bank bonus and rewards issuer?

I guarantee you could find a robotic/monotone CSR at every single bank in existence. Call centers especially have a higher percentage of these types.

I firmly believe that 90% of the quality of your banking experience comes from the banker/manager you work with. There are good and bad bankers at every bank. I find the best offer or product I can, and then shop the B&M locations to find the best reps I can.
^ If I refused to do business with a credit card company over robotic\monotone then I wouldn't have a single major brand CC. I generally wait a day or two and then re-evaluate the issue against the entirety of my experience. Did you have such a poor experience over the last 3-4 years that a single bored\tired\distracted call center rep will turn you off of to all the rewards offers\banking perks\convenience that Chase can offer? Seems a bit extreme to me and potentially punishing yourself more than Chase
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Seat 1F
If Chase cannot figure out that they should provide quality customer service to elite cardholders in the event said cardholder wants to expand the relationship, then they should exit the banking business.
One data point never defines a trend. They clearly have plenty of business without you and you have plenty of options as far as creditors go. Move on to whatever works for you.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by takeshi74
One data point never defines a trend. They clearly have plenty of business without you and you have plenty of options as far as creditors go. Move on to whatever works for you.
+1
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: Ritz-Carlton Gold, Hyatt Plat, AAdvantage Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by roki

^

Also OP, I have to point out that if you are that desperate that you can't look past a single monotone CSR, The Ritz-Carlton Card Customer Service is a separate line from other Chase Customer Service lines. They are the best Customer Service I've had from any bank and many others agree on that, so that might be worth considering before you decide the whole bank is worth cutting off.

I did the same thing with my Citi accounts as far as shopping B&M locations because I was having a lot of issues finding reliable CSRs.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:53 pm

Obviously the OP has never dealt with Comcast, or a large airline on the phone...

Fortunately, unlike Comcast, there are many other banks you can choose from in the USA.

I've been happy with CSP so far, especially the live Americans which answer the phone.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
I just closed a Chase credit card, and the experience couldn't have been more pleasant. A native-English speaker, answering the phone in the USA (pretty obvious), he was courteous, professional, and helpful. He made a retention offer (which I thanked him for and declined), he gave me the info I needed (how many points I had in my account and the points expiration date, reminded me to stop any recurring payments charging to the card, shred the card, etc.), waived/refunded the annual fee that was about to come due, thanked me for my business, no pressure, no hassles, no wasted time. I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

Chase is great, I highly value my long, positive relationship with them, and I will continue to be a very satisfied, loyal customer. I wish most of the other mega corporations I deal with had such good customer support.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.