Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase has stopped transfers to Korean Air [now back]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase has stopped transfers to Korean Air [now back]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:21 am

If KE is as miserable to deal with as a business partner as they are directly as a passenger for things like award booking (or, do we even go there, their apparently awful company culture), I'd guess that Chase didn't drive this decision. Nonetheless, I hope Chase explores some other SkyTeam partner, since that's the gap that losing KE creates.

I mostly redeem points/miles for TATL awards, and from BOS, SkyTeam is the best option for reasonably priced awards (either all miles like DL or miles + fuel surcharges with the rest of ST). Otherwise, it's BA, with the same 100-125k RT in J, but with massive fuel surcharges, or United awards on LH/LX, at 140k RT. I'd rather do 80k + YQ on KE.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
If KE is as miserable to deal with as a business partner as they are directly as a passenger for things like award booking (or, do we even go there, their apparently awful company culture), I'd guess that Chase didn't drive this decision. Nonetheless, I hope Chase explores some other SkyTeam partner, since that's the gap that losing KE creates.

I mostly redeem points/miles for TATL awards, and from BOS, SkyTeam is the best option for reasonably priced awards (either all miles like DL or miles + fuel surcharges with the rest of ST). Otherwise, it's BA, with the same 100-125k RT in J, but with massive fuel surcharges, or United awards on LH/LX, at 140k RT. I'd rather do 80k + YQ on KE.
What did you use KE for when you booked KE award flights?

KE's main strength was I guess award seat availability (can change and book tickets hours before the flight departs and first class seems to be always available) and some specific routes within Asia (direct flights to locations from Seoul).
Unfortunately Asiana, which serves similar routes, doesn't have any relationships with credit card companies and United mileage program (which I think is affiliated with Asiana) really really really really sucks.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by dkjb3t4
What did you use KE for when you booked KE award flights?

KE's main strength was I guess award seat availability (can change and book tickets hours before the flight departs and first class seems to be always available) and some specific routes within Asia (direct flights to locations from Seoul).
Unfortunately Asiana, which serves similar routes, doesn't have any relationships with credit card companies and United mileage program (which I think is affiliated with Asiana) really really really really sucks.
I've never flown KE. KE is a Skyteam member, and they have a pretty good partner award chart. As in 50k coach, 80k business round trips. You'd incur fuel surcharges, but depending on what your points are worth to you, still came out ahead of DL and their 125k RT pricing (without fuel surcharges).

I'm on the east coast, and going to Europe ex-BOS, Skyteam is absolutely the best option. What I'll do now is probably use Avios to book BOS-DUB on EI, and then buy a cash ticket from DUB - but service to secondary cities from DUB is poor.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by rgdave
I want to throw out a possible reason why KE pulled the plug - for now. The new KE website was rolled out in Sept/Oct, and it's been a functional mess. There are all sorts of glitches, but the one that affects awards is that you can't make a premium class award booking online (and FT'ers report that even economy bookings error out before getting to the end end of the process.) So pretty much everything award-related (and probably a lot revenue related as well) has to be done by phone through a KE call center, and they're overloaded.

I made an F award booking earlier this month, and the hold times to reach an agent were long. Added to that is KE's convoluted redemption process, that requires a call back to finalize payment for taxes and fees. Usually when you say you want to ticket the reservation you get the call back within a day. This time it was 5 days. So KE, which prides itself on customer service, looks like its in a world of hurt until they get their website working right.

So the possible scenario here is that KE decided to cut off UR transfers to reduce the award booking workload for the time being. That would also be a good reason for not giving any advance notice for the transfer suspension. If there had been advance notice, people would have scrambled to hold reservations before transferring points, which could have resulted in even bigger log jams.

If, in fact, this is the case, an explanation from KE or UR would be welcome. But as we've probably all learned over the years, airlines seldom explain their moves.
This sounds like a plausible scenario. But even if it's KE's fault, it would seem to be in Chase's best interest to be more transparent about the situation. They've basically lost (temporarily?) their best airline transfer partner, given that Singapore is great but redemptions can be tough, United and its FF program slide downhill on a daily basis, Virgin and BA charge very large fees for award tix, etc. In fact, in the absence of KE Chase is left with one decent partner, Hyatt.

Originally Posted by rgdave
KE transfers were a big reason for me for getting a Chas Ink card for my business purchases because of the difficulty finding F/J award space on other TPAC carriers. The 5X at Staples is a nice bonus, but I'm not that into manufactured spend, so that perk isn't all that valuable to me.

There's been a lot of talk on here that KE is coming back, but it's based on really thin info. Chase is pretty much silent on the issue. It's been three weeks now, and not back on. The one KE statement that this is a technical website issue isn't holding a lot of water, given that it's been 3 weeks. Yes, Korean is very tight on only member/immediate family redemptions, and UR wasn't that tight on the transfer side. But that doesn't seem like it would be a huge technical obstacle to only permit transfers into a member's own Skypass account, with a name match.

A statement from Chase/UR would be welcome, but nothing. I'm not optimistic that KE is coming back. KE is an interesting airline from an award standpoint. They're VERY liberal with award inventory, but really tight in ways to acquire points to cash in to get it. With KE, you can't even buy miles directly to top off to get an award. I know, because I currently have an F ticket to north Asia with KE that I cashed in 80K UR for (before the shutdown). I want to change my itinerary to include SE Asia, which requires 95K Skypass miles. With Chase transfers down, I can't transfer the add'l 15K points, and from talking with Skypass, there's no way to buy them. So I'm hoping against hope that the KE/UR partnership comes back online. But I'm not holding my breath.

Personally, right now I don't see a big reason to keep my Chase Ink beyond its next annual renewal. Sure, there's no foreign transaction fee, but I have other cards with no fee. True, My AMEX MR Business Gold has a higher annual fee, but Membership Rewards points have a lot more transfer options, and I can get Avios and Singapore there as well. The only unique UR option is MileagePlus, but I've pretty much ditched MP because of the higher award redemption rates. I also stopped flying UA (which was my go to program) over the last year because of too many bad experiences domestic. So UR is dropping in appeal big time as a place to spend and bank points.
Very good analysis. But I'd paint the alternatives in an even more positive light, given that with Amex Business Gold you can get 3x points per $ spent on tickets purchased from airlines and with Citi Thank You you can get 3X points on dining. Both of these trump Chase's 2x ratios. Chase is a deteriorating asset when competitors like Amex and Starwood are holding steady and when Citi Thank You has considerably upped its game.

Originally Posted by j-rad
Just to update on my situation (OP)... After much complaining and contacting everyone at Chase I could think of, I got a response from the executive office and they put the transfer through.

So, it can be done, but doesn't necessarily mean it's coming back as an option.
Glad to hear you got this in the end.

Originally Posted by farbster
This entire situation makes you think that Chase is a Mickey Mouse operation. Don't most credit card companies communicate that a benefit is ending? If it ends, so be it. People will move on as they've always done. But if it is a glitch or something that will be or is being worked on, why not say so? Also, don't most credit card companies and airlines give a heads up? This is very unprofessional all around.
In fairness, many airline and credit card companies aren't always good a communicating, but I agree that Chase very unprofessionally adds insult to injury by providing so little information about what is going on. Makes you wonder what other shoes might drop not just with UR, but also with its other airline/hotel partners down the line.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I've never flown KE. KE is a Skyteam member, and they have a pretty good partner award chart. As in 50k coach, 80k business round trips. You'd incur fuel surcharges, but depending on what your points are worth to you, still came out ahead of DL and their 125k RT pricing (without fuel surcharges).

I'm on the east coast, and going to Europe ex-BOS, Skyteam is absolutely the best option. What I'll do now is probably use Avios to book BOS-DUB on EI, and then buy a cash ticket from DUB - but service to secondary cities from DUB is poor.
How many miles would it take for Skyteam award redemption in KE if you're flying J or F class from LAX to ICN ?
If you do it directly through Skypass, it takes 62500 miles one-way for J and 80000 miles one-way for F.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
This sounds like a plausible scenario. But even if it's KE's fault, it would seem to be in Chase's best interest to be more transparent about the situation.
There may be contractual terms regarding what can be publicly disclosed. And even if there aren't, publicly blaming one of your business partners for something is usually not a good idea.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
They've basically lost (temporarily?) their best airline transfer partner, given that Singapore is great but redemptions can be tough, United and its FF program slide downhill on a daily basis, Virgin and BA charge very large fees for award tix, etc. In fact, in the absence of KE Chase is left with one decent partner, Hyatt.
This is entirely in the eyes of the beholder. KE isn't very useful to me. My favored partners would be BA & VS, since I want to travel to LHR in F/J, and am willing to pay YQ. Asia is on my list of things I'd like to do, but it's farther down on the list, and the excruciating (until recently) redemption process would've turned me off.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:54 pm

I am skeptical that chase sees a significant amount of transfers to KE. I think it is probably their least used transfer partner or perhaps tied with SQ. That's why they probably don't see this as a series issue. If transfers to Hyatt were stopped I think we would see Chase being much more active and transparent.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by j-rad
Just to update on my situation (OP)... After much complaining and contacting everyone at Chase I could think of, I got a response from the executive office and they put the transfer through.

So, it can be done, but doesn't necessarily mean it's coming back as an option.
May I ask who you eventually emailed/called in order to get this done? I just called the Sapphire Preferred number and they said KAL is no longer available and this CSR said this was permanent. He also added that there was no way to transfer the points anymore from his end.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
There may be contractual terms regarding what can be publicly disclosed. And even if there aren't, publicly blaming one of your business partners for something is usually not a good idea.

This is entirely in the eyes of the beholder. KE isn't very useful to me. My favored partners would be BA & VS, since I want to travel to LHR in F/J, and am willing to pay YQ. Asia is on my list of things I'd like to do, but it's farther down on the list, and the excruciating (until recently) redemption process would've turned me off.
Originally Posted by lewinr
I am skeptical that chase sees a significant amount of transfers to KE. I think it is probably their least used transfer partner or perhaps tied with SQ. That's why they probably don't see this as a series issue. If transfers to Hyatt were stopped I think we would see Chase being much more active and transparent.
Good points. I do think any reduction in Chase's limited array of airline partners hurts its competitive edge, but agree that we may travel in different circles (so to speak) and that a circle including KE may not be the most common one. Still, I think any reduction such as this hurts Chase in a rather competitive environment.

In any event, I just received this secure message via the Chase site in response to a couple of messages I sent asking about this situation:

I can understand your frustration regarding the option to
transfer points to the Korean Air SKYPASS program. As a
security measure, a business decision was made to suspend
this benefit so that we can review processes and make
appropriate changes. Regretfully, at this time, no date
has been determined as to the return of this
functionality. We do realize this feature is part of the
rewards earning structure. Although we reserve the right
to make changes to the program at anytime, we ask that you
trust we are working to resolve this issue as quickly as
possible. I apologize for any inconvenience this may
cause.

This indicates that cutting the connection is only temporary and possibly that, as has been speculated, the cut might be linked to problems with KE's website and/or IT. It still would seem appropriate to stop advertising KER as a partner, given that Chase has no idea when the connection will be re-established. I guess we'll see how this all plays out.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by lewinr
If transfers to Hyatt were stopped I think we would see Chase being much more active and transparent.
I'm not too sure we would. Chase didn't say or do much (if anything) when UA gutted their award chart a while ago, and UA is certainly more important to them than KE is.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Priority Club, HHonors
DL Skymiles requires 140,000 r/t J from the U.S. to north Asia on DL metal or a partner. F on KE isn't available to Skymiles/Skyteam partners, only directly via Skypass redemption. In comparison, AAdvantage takes r/t in J from the U.S. to north Asia, AA metal or partner, including Cathay (even though CX space can be difficult but not impossible to find), and AAdvantage also has F redemptions (135K r/t U.S. to north Asia.) So Skymiles is 140,000 r/t in Delta Business Elite compared to 135,000 Aadvantage miles r/t in Cathay Pacific First. KE's ace in the hole is award availability, but DL's Skyteam partner availability for J class is very, very good.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:27 am

KE is still not back on Chase UR.

I assume it's not coming back.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 7:36 am

From the KE website.
Hopefully it comes back as planned.
*cross fingers*

※ Chase Ultimate Rewards point transfer is temporarily unavailable. It is planned to re-open during Jan, 2015.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
From the KE website.
Hopefully it comes back as planned.
*cross fingers*

※ Chase Ultimate Rewards point transfer is temporarily unavailable. It is planned to re-open during Jan, 2015.
Nice find! Thank you for the update.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PointsNmiles
Nice find! Thank you for the update.
+1!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.