Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase has stopped transfers to Korean Air [now back]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase has stopped transfers to Korean Air [now back]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, a little recent history: KE was also transferrable from Diners Club US Club Rewards points until some months ago, but that went away before DC US started taking applications again (so for several years it was only available to those who'd had a Diners Club US card for a long time).

So that's two transferrable-points credit card programs that KE has dropped in the past year.
Maybe KE is trying to make people use their credit cards instead of other programs.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:00 pm

Yeah, I got a response to my email from KAL/KE:

Originally Posted by Korean Airlines
Dear Mr. Zippy The Pinhead

[...]

Please be advised that this is a temporary suspension due to Chase’s SKYPASS mileage conversion page requiring additional modification to certain functions.

Although the renewal date has not been set, we are continuously working with Chase to find the possible resolution to the current issue.

If you have any additional inquiries, please contact Chase for further assistance.

Thank you for your kind understanding.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
Yeah, I got a response to my email from KAL/KE:
Great news if true, but a confirmation from the Chase side would be nice...
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP>2m, Alaska MVP, Virgin Gold, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Cathay Pacific Silver
You can book flights on Korean Airlines using Alaska Airlines miles. You can buy as many Alaska Airline Miles as you like. The limit shown is just a daily limit. And right now there is a sale on Alaska Airline Miles. It may not be the best deal in the world but it is still a pretty good deal.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by workandski
You can book flights on Korean Airlines using Alaska Airlines miles. You can buy as many Alaska Airline Miles as you like. The limit shown is just a daily limit. And right now there is a sale on Alaska Airline Miles. It may not be the best deal in the world but it is still a pretty good deal.
how many Alaska Air miles does it take to book LAX>ICN first class?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
Originally Posted by dkjb3t4
how many Alaska Air miles does it take to book LAX>ICN first class?
Can't book first class with AS miles on KE.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, a little recent history: KE was also transferrable from Diners Club US Club Rewards points until some months ago, but that went away before DC US started taking applications again (so for several years it was only available to those who'd had a Diners Club US card for a long time).

So that's two transferrable-points credit card programs that KE has dropped in the past year.
So it does seem that Chase UR will be back based on all the recent thread updates. Keeping fingers crossed. However, a check on KAL's website shows that now Diners Club is again listed as a partner. Assuming that this means DC will update their side as well to allow 1:1 transfers to KAL, this got me thinking.

My main goal is to find the best method to accumulate KAL Skypass miles as quickly as possible. This has meant leveraging Chase Ink to buy VCG's at Staples to get the 5x UR points and transferring to Skypass. With the Visa Savingsedge 1% discount, I figure I am paying 0.47 cents per mile.

However, the DC Elite card offers 3x on groceries, gas, and pharmacy purchases. Again assuming DC comes back as a partner of Skypass, I figure I could use this card to buy larger $500 VCG's at supermarkets at $5.95 per card and i would be paying 0.39 cents per mile with the 3X.

So the benefit is that I have larger cards I can use to load BB or redbird (no hunting for a working CATE and draining a ton of $200 GC's) and it's cheaper.

I can't be the first to have picked up on this. So for those like me that were looking to accumulate as many Skypass miles as fast as possible and as cheaply as possible without having to goto stores everyday to buy and drain, was the DC card the card of choice for you?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by jk77341
So it does seem that Chase UR will be back based on all the recent thread updates. Keeping fingers crossed. However, a check on KAL's website shows that now Diners Club is again listed as a partner. Assuming that this means DC will update their side as well to allow 1:1 transfers to KAL, this got me thinking.

My main goal is to find the best method to accumulate KAL Skypass miles as quickly as possible. This has meant leveraging Chase Ink to buy VCG's at Staples to get the 5x UR points and transferring to Skypass. With the Visa Savingsedge 1% discount, I figure I am paying 0.47 cents per mile.

However, the DC Elite card offers 3x on groceries, gas, and pharmacy purchases. Again assuming DC comes back as a partner of Skypass, I figure I could use this card to buy larger $500 VCG's at supermarkets at $5.95 per card and i would be paying 0.39 cents per mile with the 3X.

So the benefit is that I have larger cards I can use to load BB or redbird (no hunting for a working CATE and draining a ton of $200 GC's) and it's cheaper.

I can't be the first to have picked up on this. So for those like me that were looking to accumulate as many Skypass miles as fast as possible and as cheaply as possible without having to goto stores everyday to buy and drain, was the DC card the card of choice for you?
Is it still possible to sign up for DC?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Chaikel
Is it still possible to sign up for DC?
Not at the moment. They removed the application because they were having problems with new accounts. Check out the thread in the DC forum.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 8:09 pm

https://kr.koreanair.com/global/en/s...hase-Bank.html

Looks like its coming back.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 9:21 pm

Still not on the USA site, but this seems to be a step in the right direction...

Last edited by farbster; Nov 30, 2014 at 9:22 pm Reason: spelling
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Any news as to when the transfers can be made again? Incidentally, I was looking through the UR website and KE is still listed as a transfer partner in the FAQs.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:43 pm

Has anyone heard any updates on this situation?

It's definitely still missing on the Ultimate Rewards transfer screen.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by PointsNmiles
Can't book first class with AS miles on KE.
Also it has to be round-trip
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Not that I think it will make much difference at all, but FWIW I just sent a secure message expressing my disappointment with this development and saying I won't be using any of my Chase credit cards until the partnership is restored.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.