Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: der_saeufer
Why should I keep my CSP?
Possible reasons to keep the card include
  • ability to earn 2 UR points/dollar on travel & dining expenses
  • primary insurance coverage on rental cars
    • See post #369 for an example of how this has real financial value
  • 7% annual dividend (Note that this benefit ends in early 2016 with the award of the 2015 dividend.)
  • no forex fees
  • ability to transfer points at 1:1 (in many cases instantly) to a wide range of airline & hotel partners
  • the potential difficulty in being approved again later for a second CSP
  • synergy with Freedom or other Chase card earning UR points
  • you are among the few customers who receive a retention bonus offsetting the cost of the annual fee

For additional details, see the CSP Benefits Guide.
Why should I cancel my CSP?
Possible reasons to cancel the card include
  • lack of interest in the UR transfer partner programs (or you hold, or will hold, another transfer-eligible premium card, such as the Ink Plus)
  • you have a no-fee Freedom card to which you can transfer (and warehouse at no cost) your UR points
  • you plan to re-apply & earn a second signup bonus at a later date or with a different first-year-free UR card
  • you would rather use a 2% cashback card for most spending
  • benefits of the card in your particular circumstances are outweighed by the annual fee
Why should I downgrade my CSP?
Possible reasons to downgrade the card include
  • Opened a new CSR account for that sweet, sweet bonus. The CSP offers nothing that the CSR doesn't, so there's little point in keeping both--the AF is refunded in full if you downgrade within 60 days. There are conflicting reports of prorated refunds for downgrades >60 days after the fee is charged. AF refunds generally post within a day or two.
  • You plan to re-apply & earn a second signup bonus at a later date or with a different first-year-free UR card, but have a UR balance you want to keep
  • You're waiting out 5/24 to get CSR and you don't want to pay the CSP AF
What can I downgrade to (no AF), and why would I want to?
  • Sapphire (non-preferred). Not much point in this. No UR transfers to partners, 2x on dining, 1x on everything else. This card no longer exists for new customers, but it was still a downgrade option from CSP as of 9/16.
  • Freedom. 5x bonus categories, rotating by quarter, 1x on everything else. If you downgrade and activate the bonus, you'll get the bonus retroactive to the beginning of the quarter. When they overlap, you get both (e.g. Jul-Sep '16 restaurants paid with CSP pre-downgrade get base points plus 1 extra from CSP and 4 extra from Freedom)
  • Freedom Unlimited. 1.5x on everything.
And, of course, if you have CSR you can move the UR earned with the other cards to the CSR and transfer it to partners. Likewise, if you re-apply or PC to CSP, you can transfer points earned with F or FU to partners as well.

When downgrading, the card number does not change, but the expiration date and CVV will. The downgraded account retains the same credit limit and opening date, so it doesn't change AAoA nor count towards 5/24.

What's the best use of UR points?
Please read about/discuss this issue in Best use of Ultimate Rewards points [Consolidated].
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
After getting the Reserve, I downgraded my Sapphire Preferred to a Freedom Unlimited over the phone last week. Overall easy process and the CS agent was pleasant and didn't seem surprised by my request because evidently this is a common thing now. Everything stays the same for the FU other than the security code according to the CS agent. Honestly it is a little weird seeing all my UR points now listed under the FU card. I think I'm going to transfer them to the Reserve once I have some points post in there.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by christianj
...transfer them to the Reserve once I have some points post in there.
Should be able to transfer now.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 5:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by christianj
Everything stays the same for the FU other than the security code according to the CS agent.
The expiration date also changed.

And the phone numbers on the card. Based on extremely limited experience, Sapphire Preferred has the A team and Freedom Unlimited has the B team at best.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pallhedge
Online: click on your UR Points, choose "Combine Points" and enter your CSR card #. No reason to send secured message.
Thanks for the advice. I will wait for the remaining CSP points to post next month and then combine points.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:21 pm

for those who have the reserve card and thinking about canceling the preferred, you should have the rep transfer your credit line to the reserve to minimize the credit score impact. i did just that and will now cancel (instead of downgraded). I see no point of downgrading to freedom or regular sapphire just for the sake of maintaining credit utilization ratios.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by traderhen
for those who have the reserve card and thinking about canceling the preferred, you should have the rep transfer your credit line to the reserve to minimize the credit score impact. i did just that and will now cancel (instead of downgraded). I see no point of downgrading to freedom or regular sapphire just for the sake of maintaining credit utilization ratios.
It's not just the credit score. It's also about maximizing UR point earning. Even someone with one CF can downgrade to a second CF to double the 5X earning quarterly.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Cancel or Switch Sapphire Preferred

I now have the Chase Sapphire Reserve card which makes my Preferred card obsolete. So to avoid the $95 fee for a card I don't use, should I cancel it or transfer it to something else? I already have the Chase Freedom card which was automatically given to me when Amtrak ended their relationship with Chase. So it should be another card with no annual fee because I'll hardly ever use this new card. But perhaps there is something I can get just to keep my credit limit up. I also understand that sign up bonuses are usually given when cards are simply transferred into a new one. Or is it better to just close the account?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Personally, I switched my CSP to a Freedom Unlimited. It fills an earnings gap for me.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:26 am

CSP - 2nd bonus - want to make sure I do this properly

I have a CSP that I applied for in November 2014
I also have a Chase Freedom from December 2015

Plan is to move all points to the Freedom, cancel the CSP, wait a month, then reapply for the CSP so I am again eligible for the bonus. Is this the correct process?

I think I will need to wait though because of the 5/24 rule. I wasn't aware of it when I started applying for other cards and screwed myself. I shouldn't have bothered with the Delta or 2nd AAdvantage card where the bonus was questionable (didn't get it).

1. CSP issued 11/14
2. Chase Freedom 12/15
3. Delta AMEX 12/15
4. Citibank AAdvantage 1/16
5. Citibank AAdvantage business 4/16 (I read business cards may not count?)
6. Citibank AAdvantage #2 5/16 (didn't get bonus so cancelled)
7. Citi Prestige - 6/16

I applied for the Chase United Mileage plus explorer card 70k bonus on 6/16 but was denied due to 5/24 rule

I've read about others getting around the 5/24? Or do I simply cancel the CSP, get my annual renewal fee (dec 1) refunded and wait it out a year and reapply in Jan 2018? I really don't use the card.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 6:03 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Whatever else happens you should downgrade the CSP to another Freedom, rather than just canceling.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 6:10 pm

What's the reason behind downgrading and having two? I just moved all the points off to my Freedom and was literally about to call and cancel.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 6:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Hi robr.

Moderator Note:

We've got a complete thread on the downgrading process, and since downgrading the CSP to a Freedom or Freedom Unlimited might be your best option, I'm going to move the thread over there for further discussion.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:53 pm

Thanks for the thread move, I've just read through this thread and don't really see much reason to have two Freedom cards, I don't use any of my chase cards at all. I'm focused on earning AA miles. But I'll downgrade anyway for now then when I drop below 5/24 I'll get a new CSP and move the UR points back. I only have 10k points, so might as well bank them to combine with a new CSP bonus in the future.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:19 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by robr
What's the reason behind downgrading and having two?
45K UR points for three quarters was my reason for having two this year and last.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 2:06 am

plan to downgrade CSP to Freedom tomorrow.

is the downgrade effective immediately? and if yes, does that mean that i can take advantage of the 2016 Q4 drug store + wholesale stores 5x bonus, even though the new freedom card would not arrive before 31 Dec?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.