Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: der_saeufer
Why should I keep my CSP?
Possible reasons to keep the card include
  • ability to earn 2 UR points/dollar on travel & dining expenses
  • primary insurance coverage on rental cars
    • See post #369 for an example of how this has real financial value
  • 7% annual dividend (Note that this benefit ends in early 2016 with the award of the 2015 dividend.)
  • no forex fees
  • ability to transfer points at 1:1 (in many cases instantly) to a wide range of airline & hotel partners
  • the potential difficulty in being approved again later for a second CSP
  • synergy with Freedom or other Chase card earning UR points
  • you are among the few customers who receive a retention bonus offsetting the cost of the annual fee

For additional details, see the CSP Benefits Guide.
Why should I cancel my CSP?
Possible reasons to cancel the card include
  • lack of interest in the UR transfer partner programs (or you hold, or will hold, another transfer-eligible premium card, such as the Ink Plus)
  • you have a no-fee Freedom card to which you can transfer (and warehouse at no cost) your UR points
  • you plan to re-apply & earn a second signup bonus at a later date or with a different first-year-free UR card
  • you would rather use a 2% cashback card for most spending
  • benefits of the card in your particular circumstances are outweighed by the annual fee
Why should I downgrade my CSP?
Possible reasons to downgrade the card include
  • Opened a new CSR account for that sweet, sweet bonus. The CSP offers nothing that the CSR doesn't, so there's little point in keeping both--the AF is refunded in full if you downgrade within 60 days. There are conflicting reports of prorated refunds for downgrades >60 days after the fee is charged. AF refunds generally post within a day or two.
  • You plan to re-apply & earn a second signup bonus at a later date or with a different first-year-free UR card, but have a UR balance you want to keep
  • You're waiting out 5/24 to get CSR and you don't want to pay the CSP AF
What can I downgrade to (no AF), and why would I want to?
  • Sapphire (non-preferred). Not much point in this. No UR transfers to partners, 2x on dining, 1x on everything else. This card no longer exists for new customers, but it was still a downgrade option from CSP as of 9/16.
  • Freedom. 5x bonus categories, rotating by quarter, 1x on everything else. If you downgrade and activate the bonus, you'll get the bonus retroactive to the beginning of the quarter. When they overlap, you get both (e.g. Jul-Sep '16 restaurants paid with CSP pre-downgrade get base points plus 1 extra from CSP and 4 extra from Freedom)
  • Freedom Unlimited. 1.5x on everything.
And, of course, if you have CSR you can move the UR earned with the other cards to the CSR and transfer it to partners. Likewise, if you re-apply or PC to CSP, you can transfer points earned with F or FU to partners as well.

When downgrading, the card number does not change, but the expiration date and CVV will. The downgraded account retains the same credit limit and opening date, so it doesn't change AAoA nor count towards 5/24.

What's the best use of UR points?
Please read about/discuss this issue in Best use of Ultimate Rewards points [Consolidated].
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mymilesandpoints
The answer is yes
Great! Can I do the transfer online or do I need to call to do the transfer?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:41 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold
Hi-- hopefully a short question. If I downgrade my CSP to a Freedom (or Unlimited), will I hurt my chances of getting a future sign-up bonus on either of these cards if I decide to apply for them in a year or so?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by naumank
You can definitely do an line transfer between accounts.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, UA Platinum
Yes.

Online: send a secured message through the chase account website

Phone: call number at back of your card
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:15 am

...I don't want a Freedom card so I will just cancel the CSP card...
Even if you don't want a Freedom card, I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't downgrade instead of canceling, just in case.

Originally Posted by mymilesandpoints
Online: send a secured message through the chase account website
Online: click on your UR Points, choose "Combine Points" and enter your CSR card #. No reason to send secured message.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Ben21
Hi-- hopefully a short question. If I downgrade my CSP to a Freedom (or Unlimited), will I hurt my chances of getting a future sign-up bonus on either of these cards if I decide to apply for them in a year or so?
No problem, but you'll need to then cancel the Freedom (or Unlimited) in advance of applying for the same card. I'm talking weeks not months prior.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:48 am

Has anyone product change CSP to CSR? I have a Freedom, and could downgrade CSP to Freedom Unlimited. I am way above 5/24, so I wanted to PC my CSP to CSR. Will this result in a credit pull as it is not a "downgrade"?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:17 am

I did upgrade it. No credit pull at all.
The only caveat is that you need at least $10k as a credit limit in your CSP to be able to upgrade.
If you do have $10k, just call and in 2 minutes you'll be upgraded.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:02 pm

DP: Just downgraded CSP to Freedom Unlimited. Had the CSP since January 2013, and recently got a CSR card.

The rep was helpful and also asked about the weather.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by silver02accord
Has anyone product change CSP to CSR? I have a Freedom, and could downgrade CSP to Freedom Unlimited. I am way above 5/24, so I wanted to PC my CSP to CSR. Will this result in a credit pull as it is not a "downgrade"?
When upgrading CSP to CSR, do you still qualify for the 100k points for $4k spend?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by mikex163
I did upgrade it. No credit pull at all.
The only caveat is that you need at least $10k as a credit limit in your CSP to be able to upgrade.
If you do have $10k, just call and in 2 minutes you'll be upgraded.
Thank you. If I've had the CSP for less than a year would the fee be prorated(not really concerned about that just curious)?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:13 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by silver02accord
...If I've had the CSP for less than a year would
You won't be able to change to another product during the first 12 months after opening the account.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by jc719
When upgrading CSP to CSR, do you still qualify for the 100k points for $4k spend?
No.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by dmo580
DP: Just downgraded CSP to Freedom Unlimited. Had the CSP since January 2013, and recently got a CSR card.

The rep was helpful and also asked about the weather.
In retrospect should I have downgraded to Vanilla Sapphire and applied for a new Freedom Unlimited?

I was just hesitant because it took secondary review to get my CSR
Old Sep 21, 2016, 3:20 am

I've only had the CSP for less than a year. Am I better off cancelling it completely rather than PCing it? I'm actually at 5/24 right now after my approval for CSR, but I'll be back down to 4/24 by the end of next month. However, I'm an expat so the FU isn't a useful option for me due to the FTF. Since my history on the CSP is so short, wouldn't it possibly help my FICO by increasing the average age of my active accounts?

(Geez... Enough acronyms for one post?)

Last edited by baroqen; Sep 21, 2016 at 3:20 am Reason: typos

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.