Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: der_saeufer
Why should I keep my CSP?
Possible reasons to keep the card include
  • ability to earn 2 UR points/dollar on travel & dining expenses
  • primary insurance coverage on rental cars
    • See post #369 for an example of how this has real financial value
  • 7% annual dividend (Note that this benefit ends in early 2016 with the award of the 2015 dividend.)
  • no forex fees
  • ability to transfer points at 1:1 (in many cases instantly) to a wide range of airline & hotel partners
  • the potential difficulty in being approved again later for a second CSP
  • synergy with Freedom or other Chase card earning UR points
  • you are among the few customers who receive a retention bonus offsetting the cost of the annual fee

For additional details, see the CSP Benefits Guide.
Why should I cancel my CSP?
Possible reasons to cancel the card include
  • lack of interest in the UR transfer partner programs (or you hold, or will hold, another transfer-eligible premium card, such as the Ink Plus)
  • you have a no-fee Freedom card to which you can transfer (and warehouse at no cost) your UR points
  • you plan to re-apply & earn a second signup bonus at a later date or with a different first-year-free UR card
  • you would rather use a 2% cashback card for most spending
  • benefits of the card in your particular circumstances are outweighed by the annual fee
Why should I downgrade my CSP?
Possible reasons to downgrade the card include
  • Opened a new CSR account for that sweet, sweet bonus. The CSP offers nothing that the CSR doesn't, so there's little point in keeping both--the AF is refunded in full if you downgrade within 60 days. There are conflicting reports of prorated refunds for downgrades >60 days after the fee is charged. AF refunds generally post within a day or two.
  • You plan to re-apply & earn a second signup bonus at a later date or with a different first-year-free UR card, but have a UR balance you want to keep
  • You're waiting out 5/24 to get CSR and you don't want to pay the CSP AF
What can I downgrade to (no AF), and why would I want to?
  • Sapphire (non-preferred). Not much point in this. No UR transfers to partners, 2x on dining, 1x on everything else. This card no longer exists for new customers, but it was still a downgrade option from CSP as of 9/16.
  • Freedom. 5x bonus categories, rotating by quarter, 1x on everything else. If you downgrade and activate the bonus, you'll get the bonus retroactive to the beginning of the quarter. When they overlap, you get both (e.g. Jul-Sep '16 restaurants paid with CSP pre-downgrade get base points plus 1 extra from CSP and 4 extra from Freedom)
  • Freedom Unlimited. 1.5x on everything.
And, of course, if you have CSR you can move the UR earned with the other cards to the CSR and transfer it to partners. Likewise, if you re-apply or PC to CSP, you can transfer points earned with F or FU to partners as well.

When downgrading, the card number does not change, but the expiration date and CVV will. The downgraded account retains the same credit limit and opening date, so it doesn't change AAoA nor count towards 5/24.

What's the best use of UR points?
Please read about/discuss this issue in Best use of Ultimate Rewards points [Consolidated].
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Keep, Downgrade, or Cancel?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2015, 8:13 pm

I only have the $125 annual fee on my Jan statement, and if I choose to wait for the 7% points bonus from Feb statement, should I must pay off the fee first -- otherwise there will be late fee and financial charge?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by susieling
I only have the $125 annual fee on my Jan statement, and if I choose to wait for the 7% points bonus from Feb statement, should I must pay off the fee first -- otherwise there will be late fee and financial charge?
The 7% bonus should have been paid out in your Jan statement. I would double check your Jan statement again because it should be in there like many others who have reported the same thing (including myself). At that point you can cancel the card. When did the $125 AF hit your card?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
The 7% bonus should have been paid out in your Jan statement. I would double check your Jan statement again because it should be in there like many others who have reported the same thing (including myself). At that point you can cancel the card. When did the $125 AF hit your card?
My 7% will appear after my Feb statement, not the Jan.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
My 7% will appear after my Feb statement, not the Jan.
Well sucks for you then. I got my 7% bonus this year in Jan just in time for me to cancel.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 12:28 am
Suspended

Well sucks for you then. I got my 7% bonus this year in Jan just in time for me to cancel.
Well my AF doesn't hit till May so I'm good to go.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:41 am

That is weird, I called around day 54 and the csr refunded me the full $125 AF.
The refund came through and it was for my full amount of $95. I guess the automated system operates differently than what the csr thought - though she was very pleasant.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA
deleted

Last edited by yztim; Feb 8, 2015 at 7:25 pm Reason: wrong forum
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA
deleted

Last edited by yztim; Feb 8, 2015 at 7:25 pm Reason: wrong forum
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
I just downgraded mine (after receiving the 7% bonus and before the 2nd year AF hits) to the regular Sapphire. Will wait a few month and reapply for the CSP (24month after the bonus was received on the old card).
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, FPC Premier, UA Silver, Hyatt Explorist, SPG Gold
If I cancel my CSP (which I've had for 2+ yrs), can I transfer my entire credit line to another Chase card? Any data points?

(I know AMEX is picky about this, and won't transfer the entire line if you've made ANY purchases using the to-be-cancelled card in the last 3 months....)

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:40 pm

Probably not all of it, but almost all.
I recently called a UA card and was able to transfer $3950 out of $5k.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
Has anyone downgraded to Freedom or Sapphire (regular) but still been able to use their existing CSP card?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by travel_mav
Has anyone downgraded to Freedom or Sapphire (regular) but still been able to use their existing CSP card?
How are you able to use your existing CSP card still?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:14 pm

How are you able to use your existing CSP card still?
Considering when downgrading, you get to keep the same account number. I think you're only able to use the old card until you activate the new card.. I'm not sure.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:26 am

I downgraded to regular Sapphire two weeks ago and am still waiting for the new card to show up. I've been using my CSP card nearly everyday since then without issue.

If your question is whether you can keep the metal card permanently, I know I've read a story on some thread here about a person asking the CSR if they could keep the metal card even though it was only a Sapphire and when Chase sent the new card is was the metal one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.