Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Heads Up: New United Explorer Card Benefit - No Foreign Transaction Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heads Up: New United Explorer Card Benefit - No Foreign Transaction Fees

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
You also get UC membership and 2x miles on UA purchases. I assume as well that for 1Ks, United applies some sort of credit back against the annual fee (as they do on the Explorer card). So there is some added benefit.
I know, and agree, but read the post I responded to

Most important aspect of the change: New D. Barretts.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 22, 2013 at 4:42 pm Reason: merge
Old May 22, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Originally Posted by BearX220
Indeed, this is the first genuine improvement in my overall relationship with UA in a long, long time. Everything else has been net degredation.

Since we're so used to other shoes dropping around here, though... higher annual fee? Cap on fee-free overseas spend? Something else to neutralize the benefit? Can't help but think there's another "enhancement" coming...
Can't help but think there's another "enhancement" coming..

Well said!
Old May 22, 2013, 6:18 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
After internal discussion with fellow UA moderators, we've determined that the best place for this announcement is the Credit Card Programs Forum as this particular benefit doesn't directly impact MileagePlus point earning, redemption, or benefits while travelling on a United flight.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United MileagePlus Forum
Old May 22, 2013, 6:53 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by GregMM
Thanks a lot, now just get the Chip an PIN added and I can ditch my Travelex prepaid card.
NOOOOO!!! Thanks to a helpful FTer, I just found out that my Travelex prepaid card is now a piece of junk. It stopped working at the end of April, so now I have to cash it out and find something new for my trip in two and a half weeks.
Old May 22, 2013, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
After internal discussion with fellow UA moderators, we've determined that the best place for this announcement is the Credit Card Programs Forum as this particular benefit doesn't directly impact MileagePlus point earning, redemption, or benefits while travelling on a United flight.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United MileagePlus Forum
But who owns this card? United Flyers.

I would have never seen this announcement if it was originally started in this forum.
Old May 22, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by LoganHero
But who owns this card? United Flyers.

I would have never seen this announcement if it was originally started in this forum.
Same here. I actually went looking in the United forum after I got the email to see if anyone had posted it yet, and was going to post it there if it wasn't already there.
Old May 22, 2013, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
No you're not missing anything. Sapphire is a better card. The only possible advantage of spend on the Explorer card is the annual bonus. But I think they gave me 10,000 miles for $20,000 in spend last year, which is really kind of pathetic.
10,000 bonus miles for $20,000 spend makes the earning rate of the card 1.5% , if you spend exactly 20,000

That is the earning rate of the $395 / year MP Club Card. Your travel and dinning spend would have to be close to 50% of your annual spend on the Sapphire to reach a 1.5% earning rate.

($10,000 Travel and Dinning Spend + $10,000 general spending = 30,000 UR ( 32,100 after 7% annual dividend )

Also, the MP Explorer Card actually comes with a higher level on the insurance / protection benefits.

For example, the MP Explorer has Roadside Assistance that actually pays for service ( coverage for $50 each time ) , the CSP merely help you call a tow operator

the MP Explorer's Purchase Protection is up to $10,000 / purchase ( Reimbursement for damaged / stolen purchases for 90 days ), the CSP has a $500 / purchase limit

the MP Explorer' price protection allows price-match with non-auction Internet price , the CSP only price-match printed ads. ( e.g. You buy something in a store and you see in 89 days Amazon . com has the same thing for less you can file a claim for the difference if you buy it with the Explorer card )
Old May 22, 2013, 10:54 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by Ragnarok
10,000 bonus miles for $20,000 spend makes the earning rate of the card 1.5% , if you spend exactly 20,000

That is the earning rate of the $395 / year MP Club Card. Your travel and dinning spend would have to be close to 50% of your annual spend on the Sapphire to reach a 1.5% earning rate.

($10,000 Travel and Dinning Spend + $10,000 general spending = 30,000 UR ( 32,100 after 7% annual dividend )

Also, the MP Explorer Card actually comes with a higher level on the insurance / protection benefits.

For example, the MP Explorer has Roadside Assistance that actually pays for service ( coverage for $50 each time ) , the CSP merely help you call a tow operator

the MP Explorer's Purchase Protection is up to $10,000 / purchase ( Reimbursement for damaged / stolen purchases for 90 days ), the CSP has a $500 / purchase limit

the MP Explorer' price protection allows price-match with non-auction Internet price , the CSP only price-match printed ads. ( e.g. You buy something in a store and you see in 89 days Amazon . com has the same thing for less you can file a claim for the difference if you buy it with the Explorer card )
You're also forgetting the fact that UR points are flexible. I almost always transfer my UR points to United, but what happens if United redemptions become less valuable? There is something to be said for flexibility.

Edit: and you need to spend $25,000/year to get the bonus miles (for the public offer).
Old May 22, 2013, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by augustus21
You're also forgetting the fact that UR points are flexible. I almost always transfer my UR points to United, but what happens if United redemptions become less valuable? There is something to be said for flexibility.

Edit: and you need to spend $25,000/year to get the bonus miles (for the public offer).

I am aware of that quality of the UR program.
I am just arguing that the earning rate of 1.4% ( corrected to reflect the bonus requires $25k spend ) is not so pathetic and that to match said earnings rate on a CSP will require one's Travel and dinning spend to be more than 35% of their total spend ( corrected to reflect the bonus level for the MP card )

And also that the MP Explorer provides higher protection benefits than the CSP does, which may make the UA MP card a better card (depending on how much importance one accord to said benefits )
Old May 23, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Frankly, if I think I might need to make use of purchase protection for a given purchase, I just pull out my AmEx instead, despite the forex fee if buying something overseas. Their claims process is a lot easier to deal with.

This is a moot point, though- I called in to try to increase the limit on my Explorer card and they decided that not only did I not warrant the increase, I had too much credit with them, so the card was completely cancelled. That'll teach me to try to get more than what I'm given.
Old May 23, 2013, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by jamar
Frankly, if I think I might need to make use of purchase protection for a given purchase, I just pull out my AmEx instead, despite the forex fee if buying something overseas. Their claims process is a lot easier to deal with.

This is a moot point, though- I called in to try to increase the limit on my Explorer card and they decided that not only did I not warrant the increase, I had too much credit with them, so the card was completely cancelled. That'll teach me to try to get more than what I'm given.
whoa
Old May 23, 2013, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by jamar

The only thing I just realized about American Express is they no longer offer a price protection on their cards which surprised me. I bought my wide a pair of shoes for $125 only to realize 5 weeks later that they were on sale for $75. Store has a 30 day return policy and a 7 day price adjustment policy. Called up Amex to find out they don't have a price protection policy but only a return protection policy that if a store won't accept a return to file a claim. So while I filed a claim, I read that for some claims they will just give you a credit for the purchase price without asking to send the item back. But I received an email asking me to ship the shoes to them at my expense and then they may or may not accept my claim. Even at that point they would not guarantee that I would receive the item back if they denied my claim and if they did, the return shipping back to me would be deducted from the claim. So for a $50 discrepancy I would have to foot the bill for 2 shillings possibly.

Since then I've decided to out everything on my Club card. Where as in the past I used my Amex just for Costco purchases even that I don't anymore. Instead of getting 1x MR that are next to useless for me, I just buy Costco cash cards on their website using the Club card for 1.5 miles. MR points are getting less valuable in my opinion, so much so that every mailer they send me is always 'Get 25,000 bonus Membership Rewards, good for $250 in gift cards!'
Old May 24, 2013, 12:05 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Well, then we value things differently. In my case, I've been quite willing to give up rewards (I only have a Costco AmEx) on purchases of breakable things in favor of the near-painless purchase protection claims process ever since an agonizing failed attempt to claim on a damaged laptop with my MP Explorer (while I still had it) compared to my easy and successful claim on a broken cellphone with my Costco AmEx.

That and this experience does not make me want to recommend Chase. I understand denying a request for an increase, not so much turning around and asking me to dramatically slash my existing credit with them when I had just applied and was auto-approved for a new card only days prior.
Old May 24, 2013, 12:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Ragnarok
I am aware of that quality of the UR program.
I am just arguing that the earning rate of 1.4% ( corrected to reflect the bonus requires $25k spend ) is not so pathetic and that to match said earnings rate on a CSP will require one's Travel and dinning spend to be more than 35% of their total spend ( corrected to reflect the bonus level for the MP card )

And also that the MP Explorer provides higher protection benefits than the CSP does, which may make the UA MP card a better card (depending on how much importance one accord to said benefits )
Good analysis, thanks. For me though, Sapphire's still better, since virtually all my Sapphire spend is travel and dining. So I get much more value than I would on the Explorer (which I only use now for United tickets). I'm not the type to use purchase protection, so that benefit, while acknowledged, has no value to me.
Old May 24, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: UK Silver, UA Gold
Doh, i just cancelled the card 2 weeks ago coz ive moved out of the US into Asia for a while! :/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.