Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase fraudulent charges

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Tiki
What I don't get is how is it humanly possible to do a charge for $0.01 at the Buckle? The cheapest item I could find on their website was a pair of earrings on sale for $1.70. Unless someone who works at the Buckle is the one trying to defraud me?

Assuming they cloned my card somehow or got my information, why wouldn't they just order a pair of designer jeans and hope it goes through?
Just an FYI about small dollar amount charges. It is very common for this kind of fraud to occur in very small (under $10) charges. The thing is, they do a tremendous volume of them. Because each one is small, they slip through the bank's detection systems. And over 90% of the small charges do not get disputed -- people think it's too much trouble. But the small charges add up. Several years ago, the feds busted some crooks that had stolen 9.5 million dollars this way -- with charges that were all $10 and under, using hijacked business accounts. Consider the fact that the other half of the story may be that the Buckle credit card processing account that was used was based on a imposter account.

Here is a link to an eye opening site. The situation mentioned above is in a box on the right hand side of the page.

http://businessidtheft.org/Education...7/Default.aspx
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by RNE
Chase is so trigger happy with possible fraudulent transactions they practically alert me every time I buy a pack of chewing gum! Yet Case never alerted me when a charge at a coffee shop posted for (get this) $150,153.79! That's some brew! I had to call Chase and convince them that I did not make the transaction—as if a transaction at a coffee shop in that amount could possibly be legit! For $150k I could have purchased the whole shop! Anyway, it took a super supervisor to take my call because of the high dollar amount. They're mailing me a dispute form to fill out and mail back, which will take days and meanwhile my card is useless because it's over the credit limit. "There's nothing we can do," the super supervisor says. This is a credit card I have a limited time to put $2,000 on to get bonus miles. I don't need any delays.

RNE, tempus fugit.
You must have some really good credit if this is a personal card.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:21 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
You must have some really good credit if this is a personal card.
My credit is good, but not to the tune of $150,000 on one card!

Anyway, the merchant put through a credit and it posted to my account this morning. So my balance is where it should be and I can begin using my card again. That's good, because I have a $2,000 spend to meet for 50,000 miles. ^
Old Jan 29, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Chase closed my Explorer Card today due to the Target Breach. I used it at a retailer and charge was denied, then received a text message a few moments later. Called the number on the card and spoke to customer service rep whom in turn transfered me to the Fraud Unit. Said card was compromised and I will receive a new one tommorow via UPS Next Day, and get this.. They want the old card back? Anyway my concern is with my 25K spend for 2014 and UA waiver for Platinum Status with that spend. From your experience, when Chase closes an account, will the spend already made on the close account propogate over to the new account and will they report the total spend of both cards to UA for 25K spending waiver? The meter on UA site just shows if the 25K has been met and does not track the monthly usage. Additionally, I guess I need to go into my profile on UA and change the Card number to reflect the new number.. However, will my UA know that I have a new card account from Chase. Amex is so easy, they just change the last 4 numbers when ever something goes wrong. Appreciate any answers as I covered allot of ground here. Thanks and Safe Travels and Spending
Old Jan 29, 2014, 6:30 pm

Yes they will. They issue a new card with new number but your old card history goes along with it (ie bonus threshold). I find chase's system to be pretty good about these kinds of things. Print out your history just in case but You should be set.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 6:43 pm

Chase asked me to return old card, too.

I ordered a replacement CSP today to get the chip and signature feature (no fraud involved). They said they would also send an envelope for me to send the old one back-- and the explanation made perfect sense. The CSP has metal in it and won't go through a shredder. Never thought of it before, but physical destruction of that card has got to be a challenge.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by BOShappyflyer
Yes they will. They issue a new card with new number but your old card history goes along with it (ie bonus threshold). I find chase's system to be pretty good about these kinds of things. Print out your history just in case but You should be set.
Thanks, I hope your correct. That CSR stated that they are "closing" my account and sending me a new card. I will monitor with my statements as suggested.. Safe Travels and Spending..
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by 466SHH
I ordered a replacement CSP today to get the chip and signature feature (no fraud involved). They said they would also send an envelope for me to send the old one back-- and the explanation made perfect sense. The CSP has metal in it and won't go through a shredder. Never thought of it before, but physical destruction of that card has got to be a challenge.
The morning before a "Guys night out" my CSP had fraudulent charges, so I put in the call to Chase. Since the card was deactivated, and I was waiting for the return mailer, I took the now useless card and let a half dozen boozed up guys have a whack at destroying the card. Not a chance! You can barely bend that card, even after several bottles of sake & many pitchers of beer
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:39 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Phil Level
The morning before a "Guys night out" my CSP had fraudulent charges, so I put in the call to Chase. Since the card was deactivated...
Huh? "Guys night out"? But strippers don't take credit cards...yet.

RNE, I know.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:26 am

I have the similar situation. Lately my friends and I have faced with many unauthorized charges, earlier there were not any. my brother adviced me to claim at vcharges.com, he told that they checked and returned him money. I did it today, but no reply yet. I am waiting
Old Apr 13, 2014, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by 466SHH

My card got stolen when I mailed the card back- since it was a replacement (with the same number), the person used the card at drive-thru's and gas stations. Luckily I was overseas and had informed Chase of my travels, so they emailed me wondering if I was the person using the card at my local area establishments. Unless the account is completely closed, I'll never mail my old/used/replacement cards ever again. Lesson learned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.