Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase fraudulent charges

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2013, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by augustus21
Having your information compromised has nothing to do with Chase and everything to do with the security of the businesses at which you shop.
..exactly.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Chase S P compromised account canceled

I received an alert for a purchase of $250 gift card to Home Depot online that I did not make.
I called Chase and got ahold of the fraud department.
Consequently my account has been canceled and a new one opened ( still have my UR intact)
The agent said that this closing will be reported to my Fico credit report in about 60 days.

This card had been opened 9-18-2012
So now with this new account is my renewal date for the annual fee a year from yesterday? 8-01-2013?
I had forgotten to ask.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by duranza
So now with this new account is my renewal date for the annual fee a year from yesterday? 8-01-2013?
The anniversary date is not affected. You have the same account, with a new card number.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by jatink129
They won't be closing your account. They'll just generate a new number, so your entire history will stay intact and your points untouched.
I was told my account was being closed and a new one opened, just spoke to the agent last night.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by duranza
Quote:

Originally Posted by jatink129

They won't be closing your account. They'll just generate a new number, so your entire history will stay intact and your points untouched.

I was told my account was being closed and a new one opened, just spoke to the agent last night.
That's how CSR explain it to consumers, but in reality, a new credit card number is generated and all spending history, points balance, and age of account is preserved.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 1:59 pm
jdl

I had fraudulent charges on my Chase card. They canceled the card, reversed the charges, and issued me a new card. I received UR points for the fraudulent charges. I assume those UR points will be clawed back on the next statement? I'm not touching the points, but what would they do if those points were already moved out of the UR account?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
They would give you a negative points balance, which if not repaid by the time you cancelled your card you would be charged for.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 6:50 pm

Chase cancel ID Theft Coverage?

By reading through these posts, makes me nervous, especially, lately I am getting Chase sending updated benefits booklet. And letter chase stated that " Please note that ID Theft Coverage will be cancelled. All changes are effective November 1, 2013. "

Both My Sapphire prefer master card and Ink Plus business account received the benefits update notice. Any idea this change will effect the fraudulent charges? I think I will start to monitor all of my cards accounts daily now. Especially hubby travel overseas monthly. I really worry.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:56 am

Someone stole my Chase Sapphire number and used it while I was traveling abroad. The funny thing is the card was used locally and actually at some stores I usually visit...but there were about $300+ of small charges in three days. I have to give credit to chase though-I had informed them of my overseas travel and they knew something wasn't right with the transactions (I was using another Chase card overseas at the same time) They called (didn't get the vmail right away) and emailed me 3 times in 2 days to call them back collect to confirm the charges. Once I called them back from France and told the I was no where near the area, they closed my account and credited back all the charges.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:28 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by b744jill
By reading through these posts, makes me nervous, especially, lately I am getting Chase sending updated benefits booklet. And letter chase stated that " Please note that ID Theft Coverage will be cancelled. All changes are effective November 1, 2013. "

Both My Sapphire prefer master card and Ink Plus business account received the benefits update notice. Any idea this change will effect the fraudulent charges? I think I will start to monitor all of my cards accounts daily now. Especially hubby travel overseas monthly. I really worry.
This won't change how Chase responds to instances of fraud. Identity theft coverage (many banks "provide" this service for some type of monthly fee) and fraud prevention are different. By law, you are not responsible for anything over $50, but Chase (along with every other bank) provide 100% fraud protection.

I wouldn't worry. Traveling internationally doesn't increase your odds of having your identity stolen. In fact, after traveling non-stop for 2 years and never running into any issue with fraud or identity theft, my information was stolen from a gas station in the United States (who then had fake credit cards printed up).
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
My Hyatt card was compromised. Chase canceled it, a replacement card is on the way, and I got this in the email:

We will notify Equifax, TransUnion and Experian that we closed your account as part of our review. Their records should be updated within 60 days.

It would not be good if the bureaus thinks this account ended and the replacement card is a separate new account. This is the first time I got a fraudulent charge so I don't know how the closure is reported to bureaus. Anyone know?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: HH diamond, Hyatt diamond, *wood plat, Delta Diamond 4th yr, SWA A List
Proactive Fraud Alert from Chase

Kudos to Chase Pres Plus MC. Chase's fraud detection program caught a $40 unauthorized charge. I received the email alert while on a plane and simply clicked on the unauthorized button. I've never received a proactive fraud alert on a legitimate charge. Not sure how they were able to identify this potential fraudulent charge, I use the card 3-10x a week. Good catch Chase!!^
Old Oct 4, 2013, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by italdesign
My Hyatt card was compromised. Chase canceled it, a replacement card is on the way, and I got this in the email:

We will notify Equifax, TransUnion and Experian that we closed your account as part of our review. Their records should be updated within 60 days.

It would not be good if the bureaus thinks this account ended and the replacement card is a separate new account. This is the first time I got a fraudulent charge so I don't know how the closure is reported to bureaus. Anyone know?
It's not a new account, it's a new card with a different #. Don't worry, this happens tens of thousands of time/day.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
Anyone Else Having Security Issue with Chase?

Maybe I live sheltered life but in my 50 years of having credit cards I have never had a security issue or fraud alert - until two months ago. I received a possible fraud notice on my Priority Club card. I completed the online form and they called the next day. Someone had tried 5-6 purchases at Dish Network. All were stopped and I was sent a new card.

Last week I received a second one from Chase on my United Business card. I filled out the form and didn't hear back but the transaction never hit my account.

Today I just received another one on the same United card (for the same store as before). I filled the form out then called - they said it caused a reject because the card number didn't match any of the rest of my info.

Another new card is on the way.

They said there haven't been any data loss/theft issues - but I'm beginning to wonder.

Anyone else have any recent issue with a Chase card?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott Titanium
Anyone Else Having Security Issue with Chase?

I do all my banking with Chase and haven't had an unauthorized purchase attempt since 2009 (and that was the only time).

You may want to double check your own security and habits, and look for patterns that line up with the fraud.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.