Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase fraudulent charges

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: SWA, UAL, SPG, AA
Two weekends ago I received an alert. Someone made >$600 Macy's online and Domino Pizza purchases on my Chase card that I exclusively use for United.com purchases.

For what it's worth Chase was on top of it and sent me a new card within 24 hours of reporting the fraudulent activities.

Because I don't swipe this particular credit card anywhere it's possible that someone hacked some system where the information is stored (e.g. Chase, United, etc.)?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Heryanta
Because I don't swipe this particular credit card anywhere it's possible that someone hacked some system where the information is stored (e.g. Chase, United, etc.)?
That would be my guess. Something's up with Chase, and they're not sharing info about a possible breach. I've never had any fraud charges until the first one came up with the first card (the United Mileage Plus card). I heard about the breach at (I think) global systems sometime last year, so I thought, "ok, maybe that's why". Then on the heels of that came this one (my Chase Sapphire) within the year.

Normally, they would be quick to reissue the card. For the second fraud card issue, it was a interesting set of charges. First, there was a credit charge of x amount, followed by an debit by the same amount. If I didn't have an alert set up, it would only show up on my pending charge and I guess it'll never be detected. The company seems shady as well, so I don't think it was just a mistake or "fat fingers".

The rep was interesting and asked if I wanted to just keep the card open and see what happens. Errr, okay. I said no thank you and to shut down my card completely. I don't want the hassle of having to deal with more fraud charges if they come through.

I do have one more Chase card which is my keeper card, so I'm crossing my fingers there.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by BOShappyflyer
That would be my guess. Something's up with Chase, and they're not sharing info about a possible breach. I've never had any fraud charges until the first one came up with the first card (the United Mileage Plus card). I heard about the breach at (I think) global systems sometime last year, so I thought, "ok, maybe that's why". Then on the heels of that came this one (my Chase Sapphire) within the year.

Normally, they would be quick to reissue the card. For the second fraud card issue, it was a interesting set of charges. First, there was a credit charge of x amount, followed by an debit by the same amount. If I didn't have an alert set up, it would only show up on my pending charge and I guess it'll never be detected. The company seems shady as well, so I don't think it was just a mistake or "fat fingers".

The rep was interesting and asked if I wanted to just keep the card open and see what happens. Errr, okay. I said no thank you and to shut down my card completely. I don't want the hassle of having to deal with more fraud charges if they come through.

I do have one more Chase card which is my keeper card, so I'm crossing my fingers there.
Agreed that something is up. Chase stopped charges when I tried loading my Serve card multiple times, to which I've already spoken to them over the phone twice regarding the issue and text messages two times as well.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by SVUS
It happened with me in Nov '12, when someone used my Chase Sapphire card number to do an online purchase at OfficeDepot. I got a call from Chase when that order was placed, and they wanted to make sure if I placed the order. The reason it triggered fraud alert was that the order was placed from Florida and I've never used this card in Florida. I confirmed that I did not place that order and they immediately cancelled the card and sent a new card. When I asked the security expert how someone got my card number, she said that they might have used a CC number generator. But she could not convincingly answer that how that person got my billing zip code etc.
I had almost the same experience as this, except someone charged an $8,000 Lufthansa flight to my credit card . Florida as well for me. There was a news video about identity theft on YouTube saying Florida, Georgia, New York and California were hotspots for credit card fraud. Chase was quick to take action, like in SVUS' case. Luckily, I didn't have to pay for the fake charges.

Nice to know I wasn't the only victim of this. Previous posters did a good job of covering the possibilities of where your credit card can get stolen: restaurant workers, cashiers, even a breach at the bank itself.

It's also possible to steal credit card numbers off the point-of-sale systems at retailers, as described in The Great Cyberheist:

Gonzalez was especially intrigued by the possibilities of a technique known as “war driving”: hackers would sit in cars or vans in the parking lots of big-box stores with laptops and high-power radio antennae and burrow through companies’ vulnerable WiFi networks. Adepts could get into a billion-dollar multinational’s servers in minutes.
This video of an episode of American Greed profiled a hacker named Max Butler: Cybercrime Max Butler. That episode explains a lot about how credit card rings operate.

For what it's worth, I made a video about my experience: What is Identity Theft? Credit card fraud. If that helps anyone else avoid what happened to me, that would be great.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 5:22 pm

Chase contacted me last week and advised they needed to close my BA card and reissue due to data compromise. This annoyed me because they had to do the same thing with husband's BA Chase a couple of months ago. This was the second time on his card although last one was a couple years ago. Other chase cards of ours (we have United as well and Saph preferred) have had no problems so far. No fraudulent charges on any, however.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by StreetSmartTraveler
I had almost the same experience as this, except someone charged an $8,000 Lufthansa flight to my credit card
Using stolen card makes no logical sense, and there was a post on United board about this a while back. IIRC, the travelers were met by police when their flight landed. Almost as bad, what if return tickets are cancelled if card used is reported stolen?

I've lost track of how many times my cards have been stolen, or counterfeited (I was told a few times they were able to make a card, and it was actually swiped) over the past few years. One time a replacement card was counterfeited only 2-3 weeks after I rec'd it. Now I have email alerts set, and I use a separate card for for recurring charges vs one which gets swiped at grocery, gas station, restaurants, etc.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by Phil Level
Using stolen card makes no logical sense, and there was a post on United board about this a while back. IIRC, the travelers were met by police when their flight landed. Almost as bad, what if return tickets are cancelled if card used is reported stolen?

I've lost track of how many times my cards have been stolen, or counterfeited (I was told a few times they were able to make a card, and it was actually swiped) over the past few years. One time a replacement card was counterfeited only 2-3 weeks after I rec'd it. Now I have email alerts set, and I use a separate card for for recurring charges vs one which gets swiped at grocery, gas station, restaurants, etc.
Way back, when I was still a poor student with a low limit CC, someone charged 2 first class domestic tickets to my card. The card number had been stolen and cloned (card still in my possession). Chase called me because the purchase was unusual for me and used my entire credit limit. They canceled and replaced the card.
When I asked them if they were going to tell the police so the criminal could be arrested at the airport, I was told it wasn't worth Chase's while because the amt was not high enough (less than $5000)! I was shocked that they did not want a criminal apprehended. After all, how many other cards had he/she stolen and used?! I'm glad to hear their policy has changed.

I had some fraud activity on another card I barely use. I now check all acct balances frequently, even on cards I leave in the drawer and got rid of a bunch of cards I didn't really use. Even though they were free cards, less chance of fraud for me with fewer cards to keep track of.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
[QUOTE=Phil Level;20394485]Using stolen card makes no logical sense, and there was a post on United board about this a while back.

From what I understand, many times, the people flying are not the ones aware that the card used was fraudulent. Many times there is a middle man who's "travel service" sells them a last minute ticket at a discount...then receive the real cash from the family and use the stolen cards to purchase the ticket.

By the the fraud is recognized, the "travel company" is already onto the next victim.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
This is probably unrelated to Chase and fraudulent charges showing up (just happened on one of my cards too), but I have noticed a lot of technical problems with Chase lately. The website has been down, account balances were recently misreported as $0 for many people with checking accounts, and other issues. It also seems like they are doing maintenance every other day now.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:43 am
Suspended

Well my Chase Card has been hit. It seems to happen about once a year.

This time an $1,800+ charge went thru before they blocked 3 subsequent charges (2 attempts in mexico and 1 in california). I'm in Texas.

Anyway, I noticed yesterday when my card was declined, which is embarrassing. I called them up and they are resolving the issue. I should have a new card today and they took off the $1,800 charge.

It is pretty annoying though since I have about 10 recurring payments on this card monthly and now I will have to go to each company and change the information.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by cslovacek
Well my Chase Card has been hit. It seems to happen about once a year.

This time an $1,800+ charge went thru before they blocked 3 subsequent charges (2 attempts in mexico and 1 in california). I'm in Texas.

Anyway, I noticed yesterday when my card was declined, which is embarrassing. I called them up and they are resolving the issue. I should have a new card today and they took off the $1,800 charge.

It is pretty annoying though since I have about 10 recurring payments on this card monthly and now I will have to go to each company and change the information.
I had an $1,800 fraudulent charge recently too. The first attempt was blocked, but nothing from Chase about it. I have alerts set up to receive purchases above $1,500 and luckily spotted it in my email.

Had a similar situation on a Citi card with charges from Mexico.

This type of stuff is happening too often.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold
When I got my current Chase Ink card statement yesterday there was a charge for $3.50 on it that I didn't recognize. I called, they said it was an online video game purchase. When I told them it wasn't me they said they were going to have to close out this card and issue me a new one. I got the replacement card today, but it's a PITA to call everyone who auto bills to the card and give them a new number.

Have you ever heard of them doing this for a $3.50 fraud charge?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by augustus21
This is probably unrelated to Chase and fraudulent charges showing up (just happened on one of my cards too), but I have noticed a lot of technical problems with Chase lately. The website has been down, account balances were recently misreported as $0 for many people with checking accounts, and other issues. It also seems like they are doing maintenance every other day now.
Chase is excellent compared to Citi's absolutely atrocious website. I have 2 AA cards. I can't link them with my Hilton Citi cards. Can't link with my checking. Yet they allowed me to link my wife's cards to my account even though I am not a signer on her cards - CRAZY.

Citi have multiple login locations. Some will recognize the checking login but not the CC login. You can pay you CC directly from your Citi checking account instantaneously using one link. Use another on a subsequent page and you can only pay via ACH. Never have such issues with Chase or Amex. And Citi regularly (as in several times a week) has account access problems "check back later" or "unavailable".
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Originally Posted by susiesan
When I got my current Chase Ink card statement yesterday there was a charge for $3.50 on it that I didn't recognize. I called, they said it was an online video game purchase. When I told them it wasn't me they said they were going to have to close out this card and issue me a new one. I got the replacement card today, but it's a PITA to call everyone who auto bills to the card and give them a new number.

Have you ever heard of them doing this for a $3.50 fraud charge?
Yes. It doesn't matter the amount. If it got past their fraud monitors then it is standard for companies to issue a new card #..same with most account compromises...

Whoever made the fraud purchase may put a very small charge one month, and then if that goes unnoticed they may try to use it for even larger transactions in future months...

Changing Autopayments is not fun...but it could be a lot worse :-)
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by stealph
Yes. It doesn't matter the amount. If it got past their fraud monitors then it is standard for companies to issue a new card #..same with most account compromises...

Whoever made the fraud purchase may put a very small charge one month, and then if that goes unnoticed they may try to use it for even larger transactions in future months...

Changing Autopayments is not fun...but it could be a lot worse :-)
That's what I thought Chase suspected was happening. I also was locked out of online access to anything associated with this account for 3 days. It's all back now online with the new card number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.