FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase fraudulent charges
View Single Post
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:57 pm
466SHH

Originally Posted by Tiki
What I don't get is how is it humanly possible to do a charge for $0.01 at the Buckle? The cheapest item I could find on their website was a pair of earrings on sale for $1.70. Unless someone who works at the Buckle is the one trying to defraud me?

Assuming they cloned my card somehow or got my information, why wouldn't they just order a pair of designer jeans and hope it goes through?
Just an FYI about small dollar amount charges. It is very common for this kind of fraud to occur in very small (under $10) charges. The thing is, they do a tremendous volume of them. Because each one is small, they slip through the bank's detection systems. And over 90% of the small charges do not get disputed -- people think it's too much trouble. But the small charges add up. Several years ago, the feds busted some crooks that had stolen 9.5 million dollars this way -- with charges that were all $10 and under, using hijacked business accounts. Consider the fact that the other half of the story may be that the Buckle credit card processing account that was used was based on a imposter account.

Here is a link to an eye opening site. The situation mentioned above is in a box on the right hand side of the page.

http://businessidtheft.org/Education...7/Default.aspx