Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom 5% Bonus Gas Stations [which sell giftcards]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 25 million points to burn!

And I thought this quarter would be easy to max out the 5%--boy was I wrong! I can't find any gas stations in the Tulsa, OK area where I can buy gift cards with a credit card. No Vanilla Reloads. No Visa GCs. Nothing. Not at Kum and Go. Not at Quik Trip. Not at Shell. Not at Murphy's. Not at Pacific 66. You get the picture. And Tulsa doesn't have any 7-11s.

So...does anyone out there in FT land know of any Tulsa area Gas Stations that sell GCs with a CC? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I assume you do not want to buy gasoline giftcards, only general purpose cards?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Preacher7
And I thought this quarter would be easy to max out the 5%--boy was I wrong! I can't find any gas stations in the Tulsa, OK area where I can buy gift cards with a credit card. No Vanilla Reloads. No Visa GCs. Nothing. Not at Kum and Go. Not at Quik Trip. Not at Shell. Not at Murphy's. Not at Pacific 66. You get the picture. And Tulsa doesn't have any 7-11s.

So...does anyone out there in FT land know of any Tulsa area Gas Stations that sell GCs with a CC? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks...
Shell does sell GCs.
Try BP?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Buy Gas cards for Christmas Gifts, it is closer than you think.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Yeah, I'm most interested in General Purpose GCs. Shell only had their own GCs. I appreciate the comments you've already given. Has anyone had success this month so far buying GCs like this at Gas Stations where you live? And if so, which ones? We may have some of those near where I live too.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Preacher7
Yeah, I'm most interested in General Purpose GCs. Shell only had their own GCs. I appreciate the comments you've already given. Has anyone had success this month so far buying GCs like this at Gas Stations where you live? And if so, which ones? We may have some of those near where I live too.
Well, I live North of the border, but South of the border, I have found BP to sell lots of GCs.
If you want to know which ones in YVR, pretty much all of them.
Chevron, Esso, Petro Canada, Shell.
I've had luck using Shell GCs cross border though to buy other GCs.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

OK, so BP is a possible option. Has anyone been able to buy Visa GCs/Vanilla reloads at Flying J successfully with CCs?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA, BA, delta
Do purchases made in the qwik-e-mart of a gas station count in the 5% bonus category?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by ohnodapopo
Do purchases made in the qwik-e-mart of a gas station count in the 5% bonus category?
Depends if the payment posts as the gas station or as a separate entity/business. My local gas station's c-store posts in both Chase and Amex as a gas station so it works out for me
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:37 pm
mia

This tool could help you locate merchants which are classified as gasoline stations:

http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/...tLoadAction.do
Old Jul 12, 2012, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by ohnodapopo
With the BP Visa, Chase has been able to segment gasoline vs diesel vs non-gasoline convenience purchases at some locations (and only bonus gasoline).

It all depends how the merchant is set up and if they are set up to differentiate the purchases with the network (Visa, MC, etc).
Old Jul 12, 2012, 6:43 am
wcj

I don't know the footprint of speedway, but they sell GCs at the gas stations in the north.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by mia
This tool could help you locate merchants which are classified as gasoline stations:

http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/...tLoadAction.do
Wow, great tool. Just found out the 7-11s in my area (of which there are many) are classified the same as gas stations, so I should be able to load up on merchant GCs there. Thanks for the link!
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:53 am
mia

Originally Posted by kdoughboy
...should be able to load up on merchant GCs there.
I would make a test purchase in the current billing cycle and the main purchase after verifying that it works as expected.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by mia
I would make a test purchase in the current billing cycle and the main purchase after verifying that it works as expected.
Definitely will--that has been my MO since I got the Freedom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.