FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Chase Freedom 5% Bonus Gas Stations [which sell giftcards] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1365249-chase-freedom-5-bonus-gas-stations-sell-giftcards.html)

Preacher7 Jul 10, 2012 8:41 pm

Chase Freedom 5% Bonus Gas Stations [which sell giftcards]

And I thought this quarter would be easy to max out the 5%--boy was I wrong! I can't find any gas stations in the Tulsa, OK area where I can buy gift cards with a credit card. No Vanilla Reloads. No Visa GCs. Nothing. Not at Kum and Go. Not at Quik Trip. Not at Shell. Not at Murphy's. Not at Pacific 66. You get the picture. And Tulsa doesn't have any 7-11s.

So...does anyone out there in FT land know of any Tulsa area Gas Stations that sell GCs with a CC? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks...

mia Jul 11, 2012 7:29 am

I assume you do not want to buy gasoline giftcards, only general purpose cards?

AA_EXP09 Jul 11, 2012 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7 (Post 18907056)
And I thought this quarter would be easy to max out the 5%--boy was I wrong! I can't find any gas stations in the Tulsa, OK area where I can buy gift cards with a credit card. No Vanilla Reloads. No Visa GCs. Nothing. Not at Kum and Go. Not at Quik Trip. Not at Shell. Not at Murphy's. Not at Pacific 66. You get the picture. And Tulsa doesn't have any 7-11s.

So...does anyone out there in FT land know of any Tulsa area Gas Stations that sell GCs with a CC? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks...

Shell does sell GCs.
Try BP?

satman40 Jul 11, 2012 7:31 am

Buy Gas cards for Christmas Gifts, it is closer than you think.

Preacher7 Jul 11, 2012 8:13 am

Yeah, I'm most interested in General Purpose GCs. Shell only had their own GCs. I appreciate the comments you've already given. Has anyone had success this month so far buying GCs like this at Gas Stations where you live? And if so, which ones? We may have some of those near where I live too.

AA_EXP09 Jul 11, 2012 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7 (Post 18909386)
Yeah, I'm most interested in General Purpose GCs. Shell only had their own GCs. I appreciate the comments you've already given. Has anyone had success this month so far buying GCs like this at Gas Stations where you live? And if so, which ones? We may have some of those near where I live too.

Well, I live North of the border, but South of the border, I have found BP to sell lots of GCs.
If you want to know which ones in YVR, pretty much all of them.
Chevron, Esso, Petro Canada, Shell.
I've had luck using Shell GCs cross border though to buy other GCs.

Preacher7 Jul 11, 2012 12:29 pm

OK, so BP is a possible option. Has anyone been able to buy Visa GCs/Vanilla reloads at Flying J successfully with CCs?

ohnodapopo Jul 11, 2012 1:08 pm

Do purchases made in the qwik-e-mart of a gas station count in the 5% bonus category?

infamousdx Jul 11, 2012 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by ohnodapopo (Post 18911506)
Do purchases made in the qwik-e-mart of a gas station count in the 5% bonus category?

Depends if the payment posts as the gas station or as a separate entity/business. My local gas station's c-store posts in both Chase and Amex as a gas station so it works out for me

mia Jul 11, 2012 3:37 pm

This tool could help you locate merchants which are classified as gasoline stations:

http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/...tLoadAction.do

MyTravels Jul 12, 2012 4:58 am

Originally Posted by ohnodapopo (Post 18911506)

With the BP Visa, Chase has been able to segment gasoline vs diesel vs non-gasoline convenience purchases at some locations (and only bonus gasoline).

It all depends how the merchant is set up and if they are set up to differentiate the purchases with the network (Visa, MC, etc).

wcj Jul 12, 2012 6:43 am

I don't know the footprint of speedway, but they sell GCs at the gas stations in the north.

kdoughboy Jul 12, 2012 10:43 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 18912433)
This tool could help you locate merchants which are classified as gasoline stations:

http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/...tLoadAction.do

Wow, great tool. Just found out the 7-11s in my area (of which there are many) are classified the same as gas stations, so I should be able to load up on merchant GCs there. Thanks for the link!

mia Jul 12, 2012 10:53 am

Originally Posted by kdoughboy (Post 18917158)
...should be able to load up on merchant GCs there.

I would make a test purchase in the current billing cycle and the main purchase after verifying that it works as expected.

kdoughboy Jul 12, 2012 11:00 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 18917221)
I would make a test purchase in the current billing cycle and the main purchase after verifying that it works as expected.

Definitely will--that has been my MO since I got the Freedom.