Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best use of Chase UR points for USA Mainland>Hawaii trip [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best use of Chase UR points for USA Mainland>Hawaii trip [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:47 am

Maybe I am wrong however it seems like Alaskan Airways has pretty decent award bookings to Hawaii. For instance Sept 1st - Sept 8th '14 I can book roundtrip from CHICAGO to HI for 53,000 Alaskan Airways Miles + $10 in fees... Am I looking at that wrong?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by wiivile
I'll never understand why people want to spend 2-3x the points for a first class seat when they could easily get 2-3 more trips for the points in Economy. First class is such a gigantic waste of money/points.
Originally Posted by mia
... and I'll never understand why anyone would fly anywhere in coach. I think we need to accept that others' value comfort differently and that it doesn't matter if we agree or even understand.
In theory, you're (both) right.

When we travel overseas, the vacation begins when we leave the house. Flying upfront in business class is part of the vacation. @:-)

Dan
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by kaminski6
Maybe I am wrong however it seems like Alaskan Airways has pretty decent award bookings to Hawaii. For instance Sept 1st - Sept 8th '14 I can book roundtrip from CHICAGO to HI for 53,000 Alaskan Airways Miles + $10 in fees... Am I looking at that wrong?
It's actually 55K (27.5 x 2) BUT that's in coach and the OP wants to fly in First. And, he can't transfer Chase UR to AS.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by wiivile
I'll never understand why people want to spend 2-3x the points for a first class seat when they could easily get 2-3 more trips for the points in Economy. First class is such a gigantic waste of money/points.
I largely agree. However, I think much of this community has more miles accumulated than they have time to travel, and as such can afford the extra luxury.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by kaminski6
Maybe I am wrong however it seems like Alaskan Airways has pretty decent award bookings to Hawaii. For instance Sept 1st - Sept 8th '14 I can book roundtrip from CHICAGO to HI for 53,000 Alaskan Airways Miles + $10 in fees...
Yes, but you can't transfer UR points to Alaska.

Originally Posted by dhammer53
In theory, you're (both) right.
Exactly. Value is up to the consumer to decide. For instance, some people love fashion so much that they spend thousands of dollars on designer clothing. I can't imagine ever spending that much on clothes.

Almost everyone has some hobby or interest they are willing to splurge on - and FT, of course, is full of people for whom premium cabin air travel is that hobby. Especially when it's paid for with points.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by llbad
I largely agree. However, I think much of this community has more miles accumulated than they have time to travel, and as such can afford the extra luxury.
+1. That's why I retired. Need time to spend the miles.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
I would NOT recommend AS F over UA F even at equal mileage.

I fly AS a lot, including to HI once or twice per year, and F is barely adequate, whereas UA F is perfectly comfortable in domestic F, and there seem to be options via IAH that will get you a flat bed seat.

So I would go with UA every time.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Can't you transfer to Korean and then fly on Alaska to Hawaii for less than UA?
Old Mar 15, 2015, 7:45 am

Boston to Hawaii Optimization - UR ->Mileageplus or Krisflyer

Hello,

I'm trying to go from Boston to Maui in June this year. I have about 90,000 Ultimate Rewards points to play with.

The simplest option that I have taken advantage of before is to convert UR to United MileagePlus 1:1 and then take their economy seat from North America to Hawaii for 22,500 each way.

I recently found out that Singapore Airlines also translates 1:1 with UR and that because they are part of the Star Alliance I can use Singapore Airlines points to book United Flights - but the Singapore rate to go North America to Hawaii is 35,000 points round trip. Less miles for the same product...

I'm wondering if this is a valid analysis and if I'll end up getting screwed along the way with some sort of fuel surcharge or limited availability.

Can anyone offer advice?

Thank you!
Old Mar 15, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If UR has resumed transfers to KE, you can redeem KE miles for award travel on DL, if you can find lowest-tier award seats on DL. Should cost only 25K UR points/KE miles, as KE places Hawaii in the same redemption band as the other 49 states.

I don't believe that there are any surcharges for SQ redemptions on UA domestic flights, or for KE redemptions on DL domestic flights, but you should double-check that.

Also, be aware that there is always some risk that low-tier award seats you find before initiating the UR transfer might disappear in the time it takes for the miles to show up in an SQ or KE account.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk nmb85^

As this is asking about Chase's Ultimate Rewards, we're relocating this thread to that forum.

Please note this started in the Flame Free Information Desk

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old May 24, 2016, 11:34 pm

UR to Hawaii

What is the best way to redeem UR for round trip from California to Hawaii?

I tried reading up on BA Avios and Korean, but don't the current redemption points or how to redeem?

Anyone with recent info or steps for Avios or Korean to book Alaska?

Cheers!
Old May 25, 2016, 5:24 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
http://moneymetagame.com/churning/using-british-avios-to-book-2-flights-to-hawaii-for-50k-miles-and-22-40/
Old May 25, 2016, 5:32 am

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2015/10/06/redeeming-miles-to-hawaii-can-be-tough/

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2015/08/26/miles-hawaii-first-class/

In addition to all the info in there, your newest option is transferring to Flying Blue and trying to book on Delta, which would be 50,000 RT if you can find a saver award (which will be difficult)
Old May 25, 2016, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by MapleLeafss
In addition to all the info in there, your newest option is transferring to Flying Blue and trying to book on Delta, which would be 50,000 RT if you can find a saver award (which will be difficult)
I think it's 30k RT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.