Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best use of Chase UR points for USA Mainland>Hawaii trip [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best use of Chase UR points for USA Mainland>Hawaii trip [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2021, 7:43 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
It should be a simple comparison. Take a look at the point redemption cost at the hotels' website, and then compared to what it cost at the UR website. Pick the one with the lowest cost.

It may also depends on the hotel program. I would not transfer my UR points to Marriott, Hilton, or IHG. They all transfer at 1:1, UR points are worth much more than the points in these three hotel program, where your 165k UR would not go far. Just my opinion.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 10:15 am

With 165K UR points, it is going to be hard to just use points at UR portal to get 12 nights. If you have the CSR with 1.5x, you have $2475. If you have other Chase cards with 1.25x, you have $2062.

If you are paying for the room with UR points, you have to also pay resort fee and hotel tax. Even with the CSR, with 12 nights, you have $206 per night including resort fee ($35 to $50) and tax, you will be looking at room rate of $1xx which is really hard to find in Hawaii unless it is a motel by the airport...

You have a chance to get 12 nights if you transfer the points to Hyatt. Hyatt has hotels that starts at 12000 to 15000 points per night at Hawaii. And you don't pay tax and resort fee with Hyatt points. Using Hyatt points instead of UR portal will also let the hotel recognize your Hyatt status if you have it. Last time I visited Oahu, I transferred UR points to Hyatt and stayed at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki for 20,000 points/night. The cash rate was like $365 + tax + resort fee which will be over $400. And since I had lounge certificate, I used it to get free access for their club for food/drink all day long. I would not be able to apply the certificate if I book it with Chase Travel Portal.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by mia
Which Chase (UR) card(s) do you have?
Chase Freedom and Flex
Old Oct 23, 2021, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by baydude
Chase Freedom and Flex
I don't think you can transfer points to hotel program with those, and there is no bonus using the chase travel portal...
Tanic, philemer and EdofFX like this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Will be in staying in Oahu and Maui for about 12 days and have 165k UR points. Would like to use my points for as many hotel nights as possible. Is it better to transfer my UR points to a hotel rewards program and book through the hotel or should I book through UR portal using UR points?
Just book as many nights as you can thru the Chase portal.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Need
I don't think you can transfer points to hotel program with those, and there is no bonus using the chase travel portal...
If I sign up for CSR, will my existing UR points value increase?
Old Oct 23, 2021, 10:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If I sign up for CSR, will my existing UR points value increase?
At least in terms of being redeemed for paid travel via the Chase UR travel portal, yes as you get 1.5 cents of value per point redeemed regardless of how you earned the points in the UR account.

If the UR points are being redeemed to transfer them to hotel program points, that's something else as the transfer ratio to hotel programs is the same for say the CSP as it is for the CSR.
Need likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 11:56 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Chase Freedom and Flex
You do not have the option to transfer to airline or hotel programs with these cards. You need Sapphire Reserve, Sapphire Preferred or INK Preferred. (There are other transfer eligible cards, but they are discontinued.) If you open one of those three cards you could Combine the points from your existing cards with the new card, and they would be eligible for Transfer.
SanDiego1K, Tanic, Need and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Most hotel programs have 5th nigt free on points redemptions too BUT I am not sure if this is status based or applies to everything, so that may make your points go a bit further if you do it that way - 2 5 day redemptions and then 2 days somewhere else - it seems like you are planning on island hopping a bit, so with the right timing, you could easily get 2 seperate day redemption and pay for 4 days each time
Old Oct 24, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Most hotel programs have 5th nigt free on points redemptions too BUT I am not sure if this is status based or applies to everything, so that may make your points go a bit further if you do it that way - 2 5 day redemptions and then 2 days somewhere else - it seems like you are planning on island hopping a bit, so with the right timing, you could easily get 2 seperate day redemption and pay for 4 days each time
But Hyatt, which is the high-value hotel transfer partner for Chase, does not.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by mia
You do not have the option to transfer to airline or hotel programs with these cards. You need Sapphire Reserve, Sapphire Preferred or INK Preferred. (There are other transfer eligible cards, but they are discontinued.) If you open one of those three cards you could Combine the points from your existing cards with the new card, and they would be eligible for Transfer.
I just applied for the Chase INK Preferred and I think it should come in a week or so. Can I reserve a hotel through the UR travel portal with my current points and then cancel and get a refund of those points within the Free cancellation policy? I would like to transfer those points to World of Hyatt when I get my Chase Ink Preferred card but don't want to risk not having a hotel since it's so close to the holidays.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 8:39 pm
Suspended

I just applied for the Chase INK Preferred and I think it should come in a week or so. Can I reserve a hotel through the UR travel portal with my current points and then cancel and get a refund of those points within the Free cancellation policy? I would like to transfer those points to World of Hyatt when I get my Chase Ink Preferred card but don't want to risk not having a hotel since it's so close to the holidays.
Even if got the INK in the mail tomorrow, you still WONT beable to transfer your pts from your Freedom total to Hyatt. What you need to do is move the pts from say Freedom to your INK acct. Once they are transferred( takes 2 secs) then you can transfer them from your INK to Hyatt
baydude likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by craz
Even if got the INK in the mail tomorrow, you still WONT beable to transfer your pts from your Freedom total to Hyatt. What you need to do is move the pts from say Freedom to your INK acct. Once they are transferred( takes 2 secs) then you can transfer them from your INK to Hyatt
Ok I just realized my brother who will be going on the trip has a Chase Sapphire Reserved card. Can I transfer the points from my Freedom to his CSR account so he can then transfer to Hyatt to book the stay? We do not live in the same household.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 6:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
If you don't live in the same household, then no.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I want to book HA for SFO-HNL and was looking for opinions. I cannot use UA since they will no longer take in-cabin pets to Hawaii. That leaves me with HA or Alaska who do allow it.

Any advice? Gotchas? My concern is that there is only 1 daily non-stop and if it doesn't go, well, we could get stuck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.