Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Now Dead]100,000 BA Avios Chase Card, $150 fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Now Dead]100,000 BA Avios Chase Card, $150 fee

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingTonto
For Chase reconsideration, I called 888-245-0625 and was denied. The lady just read what the computer spewed out and didn't care to help me get the card.

Then called 800-453-9719 (after Million Mile Secrets said to try again - thank you! I didn't plan to since I was turned down so hard). The guy from the start wanted to help me get the card and did after swapping some credit line.

Don't know if the number made a difference, but count me as one data point.
My old notes said this is Chase Lending Dept number - in fact this IS the number I used to call on recon as that is the dept has the power to decide whether to extend credit to you or not, by human decision, not by computer model. The 888 number folks rely on what the computer model tells them most of the time.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by World-Wide
What does EMV stand for again? Either I am stupid, or it's just late and my mind is going blank. lol
EMV Card - the Chip card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMV
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
My old notes said this is Chase Lending Dept number - in fact this IS the number I used to call on recon as that is the dept has the power to decide whether to extend credit to you or not, by human decision, not by computer model. The 888 number folks rely on what the computer model tells them most of the time.
800-453-9719 is the recon line for biz apps AFAIK. I have used it for my INK card and when I asked them if they can review my pending (personal) app as well, they said no. Obviously the OP has received a different experience than I so YMMV.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by amybd
I can confirm that you don't need to buy the tickets to take advantage of the offer. I did this a little over a month ago, and the first 50000 miles are already in my account.

I actually read about it on this board in a thread somewhere (and wondered why it wasn't getting much buzz, but I'm not much of a credit card guru so what do I know?) I think I put in LAX-LHR, non refundable economy tickets and got the offer on the payment page. I didn't complete the purchase and got the card anyway. They reviewed the offer on the phone when I activated my card and it was for the 2 $50000 bonuses.

I was wanting an EMV card with no foreign exchange fees for a trip to Europe and decided on this one. They sent me 2 regular cards before I got the EMV one, but it came before my trip and was great to have while we were there.
How were you able to get the card w/o completing the purchase?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
Originally Posted by reaper99999
How were you able to get the card w/o completing the purchase?
For me and I think most of us, it was on the last screen before payment. I had to put in my info and all that jazz but didn't have to purchase a ticket.

It MAY depend on the route you choose to dummy book, but i doubt it. I tried once and saw it.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:15 am

You get the prompt asking you if you want to apply or pay with an existing card. You click apply, proceed to application, fill out the application screen, apply and then stop. There is nothing in the application approving the purchase. The application gets approved/denied regardless of whether you go back and finish the purchase or not.

Not sure if a flurry of applications without purchases will prompt them to pull this offer, but it has been around for several months already. I applied the beginning of March, and I can't remember where I read about it on this board, but the posts weren't new when I applied.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:54 am

I can confirm that you don't need to buy the tickets to take advantage of the offer. I did this a little over a month ago, and the first 50000 miles are already in my account.

I actually read about it on this board in a thread somewhere (and wondered why it wasn't getting much buzz, but I'm not much of a credit card guru so what do I know?) I think I put in LAX-LHR, non refundable economy tickets and got the offer on the payment page. I didn't complete the purchase and got the card anyway. They reviewed the offer on the phone when I activated my card and it was for the 2 $50000 bonuses.

I was wanting an EMV card with no foreign exchange fees for a trip to Europe and decided on this one. They sent me 2 regular cards before I got the EMV one, but it came before my trip and was great to have while we were there.
Great data point amybd. This is definitely a good deal.

Just a couple of questions:

I went up to CC application page but didn't apply because I got the 100k Avios last year.

After you applied for the CC were you taken to an application status screen and then transferred back to the purchase tickets screen where you decided to opt-out?

Is this your first time getting the 100k Avios Bonus?

I do agree that this is a great way to get 100k Avios for people who can't reach the $20k spend 100k Avios bonus. As well as for people, most of us who populate FT community, who apply for multiple offers every year and don't want to have $20k tied up to one bonus offer.

If you need to make a booking ASAP the $20k spend card is better if you can spend $20k faster than 1 year anniversary. This means you will have the 100k bonus sooner and can start planning your trip earlier.

Also for n00b's who want bonus offers but don't like to get more than 1 or 2 cards a year, at most, either offer is an option.

One requires a bit of work to find the app and the other you may need to be creative in your spending.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
Plus it gives you two years of credit history... which some of us could use some accounts staying open.

But it is by far the better deal for MOST people. For those who spend big dollar or have their own secret mint going on, might as well get the 100k and the companion ticket.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: FB Gold (ST E+), Alaska MVP Gold
I had the BA visa 100K deal a few years back and closed it June 2011.
Can I get this new Avios card, and if yes, how soon????
Old Apr 13, 2012, 9:27 am

Yes, transferred back to payment screen, stopped there.

This is my first BA card and actually first personal Chase card in many, many years. Since my husband doesn't feel comfortable with even a minimum of churning (and marital harmony is still worth more than miles) I am quite happy to keep the card for at least 2 years.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:12 am

Yes, transferred back to payment screen, stopped there.

This is my first BA card and actually first personal Chase card in many, many years. Since my husband doesn't feel comfortable with even a minimum of churning (and marital harmony is still worth more than miles) I am quite happy to keep the card for at least 2 years.
I actually like BA Avios points a lot, so I don't mind keeping my card open for awhile.

I like the 1.25 pts per $1 off the bat and the strength of Avios plays right into my favorite award flights.

If you want some tips on the BA Avios program I have been writing a guide to it this entire week. Strengths,weaknesses, even the "other bonus offer".

I agree that sometimes a marriage is more important than CC's. Somtimes...
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Any sucess in double tapping BA (ie retaining two of the same cards at once)? Hate to see 100,000 Avios wasting away in a Chase vault unappreciated like dollars coins in the Federal Reserve.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
800-453-9719 is the recon line for biz apps AFAIK. I have used it for my INK card and when I asked them if they can review my pending (personal) app as well, they said no. Obviously the OP has received a different experience than I so YMMV.
I never have a Biz card with Chase.

The number I have in my file is noted as Chase Lending Dept.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Any sucess in double tapping BA (ie retaining two of the same cards at once)? Hate to see 100,000 Avios wasting away in a Chase vault unappreciated like dollars coins in the Federal Reserve.
Even if you can pass Chase's system, you likely not be able to pass BA's.

Unlike the US-based airlines, BA seems to have a very sensitive verification system regarding its members information. It seems UK-based companies tend to be so such as IHG group. Duplicate accounts are frozen and then purged.

Based on the data points reported in Nov 2009 thru Apr 2010 when the BA card was first offered for brief time and then resurrected 2 times in the Spring of 2010, BA system is very smart to detect same address and block new BA number be issued by the system. People who did not intentionally do anything but when Chase system made mistake to double request their BA numbers, they ended up with their BA accounts totally frozen up. It was a very frustrating mess for those victims to get the matter resolved - Chase told them to contact BA, BA said it had nothing to do with it and told them to call Chase, back and forth back and forth.

You would be many folks hero to try it out and report back here.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 13, 2012 at 4:35 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Went to the BA website, made a booking LAX-LHR. At the payment page I clicked on the application, completed and submitted it. Received the "notification in 30 days" response. Exited the webpage without completing the transaction. Then I immediately called the 800# referenced above and spoke with a helpful representative who, after asking some questions and getting manager approval, approved the card. Confirmed the 50 + 50. Seems like a good opportunity for me... spread out over a year, but no spend (other than annual fee).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.