Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Now Dead]100,000 BA Avios Chase Card, $150 fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Now Dead]100,000 BA Avios Chase Card, $150 fee

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:01 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Bud Florida
For those receiving the Chase BA card, is it the chip card?

I just received a mailing offering to replace my existing card to a chip card with a phone call.
Got our card yesterday, and it wasn't the chip card. An AU card is coming, so I will contact them when it arrives to get the chip card replacement.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Bud Florida
For those receiving the Chase BA card, is it the chip card?

I just received a mailing offering to replace my existing card to a chip card with a phone call.
I think the new one is a chip card. And my wife just got a card from BA cards saying this will happen for her with her existing one
Old Apr 22, 2012, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by BigLar
Gave it a shot. Everything exactly as described. No instant approval.

Kinda doubtful, since I got the 100K offer last year and I think the card might still be active. That should kill it for sure.

Oh well ... 10 minutes out of my life. There's always another offer waiting in the wings.
Yup, I agree. but we HAVE to try right?
We cannot ever really get away from this stuff you and I, now can we?
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by NEWEXP1
Please clarify for a Newbie. Did you buy a ticket ?

What do you mean " Closed everything after applying.[/?"

Thanks
No, I didn't buy a ticket. After the message popped up saying no instant approval (can't remember the exact wording) I went back to the page where it gave me the option to pay by existing credit card so I just closed the browser (chrome) window.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Interesting note: The card showed up on my Chase online portal a few days after the application. Even though I backed out of the ticket purchase (and I'm 100% certain) by clicking the Use Other Payment Method button, there's a pre-auth hold for the value of the ticket.

I assume that will fall off in 5-30 days though. But I guess what I'm saying is don't expect to be able to use all your credit for the first month
Old Apr 22, 2012, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arcticbull
Interesting note: The card showed up on my Chase online portal a few days after the application. Even though I backed out of the ticket purchase (and I'm 100% certain) by clicking the Use Other Payment Method button, there's a pre-auth hold for the value of the ticket.

I assume that will fall off in 5-30 days though. But I guess what I'm saying is don't expect to be able to use all your credit for the first month
This is indeed an interesting twist - the first being reported so far.

Were your application an instant approval or a deferred approval?
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by arcticbull

This looks like the reason. I think most of us never clicked anything...we simply closed out the ticket purchase at the credit application decision screen. You went one step further in the ticket purchase? Probably generated an automatic temporary authorization hold on the cc.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA*S A3*G TK *G EY G AA G RJ Gold IHG Spire Amb HH DIamond Marriott Gold BW DIAMOND SELECT
companion tickets

don't bother, they are worthless I have two of them and there are no available dates and you have to pay $700 in fees, it's almost cheaper without the free companion ticket
Old Apr 22, 2012, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Happy

I was approved instantly. That's probably got something to do with it...
Old Apr 22, 2012, 4:52 pm

I was a deferred approval. The card has showed up on Chase's website, but I do not have a pre-authorization charge hold on the card.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txrose86
I was a deferred approval. The card has showed up on Chase's website, but I do not have a pre-authorization charge hold on the card.
And you also did not click the Payment with Other Card option, right?

May be clicking the payment option causes the Pre-Authorization show up - let's hope the poster does not get a surprise by way of an e-ticket when BA gets around it - after all the airline has all the info it needs - Travel details, flight wanted, AND a working CC in file.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 5:52 pm

May be clicking the payment option causes the Pre-Authorization show up - let's hope the poster does not get a surprise by way of an e-ticket when BA gets around it - after all the airline has all the info it needs - Travel details, flight wanted, AND a working CC in file.
No, I don't think I clicked on Pay With Other Card. After applying, I got the screen saying "Instant credit cannot be approved, but you can still pay for your flights." I then clicked Go to payment, then exited out after that.

It seems strange, though, that if you clicked Pay With Other Card it would put it on the BA card (since you're basically telling it not to put it on the BA card).
Old Apr 22, 2012, 7:05 pm

Haha, I'm not worried for 2 reasons. First, holds are almost always converted to purchases immediately unless they're left to fall off. Nobody holds funds and then runs the transaction a few weeks later. Second, I went through the process with a refundable ticket, just in case

To be clear, what I did was:
(1) Use other method of payment.
(2) Click the Clear Cart / Cancel Purchase button.
(3) Verified that the cart was empty.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
A new card showed up in my chase online account today with $1374 as temp authorization. I closed the windows when i was approved for the card. Gonna keep on monitoring it and if it does goes through will cancel the "refundable" ticket .
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: Too many to list
How do you book refundable ticket? I mean where do you see that its refundable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.