Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For the current version of this thread & related wiki, see

IHG Rewards MasterCard (2016).
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards Visa/MC, currently 60K, possibly 80K, pts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by onthego15
I disagree totally. There are so many things that are wonderful about this card and this program.
I've been using it for Pointbreaks stays, which end up being 4500 points after the rebate. So, I keep getting nearly free stays (4500 points is nearly free in my book). And I even earned points on my free stay using my annual free night certificate. I've used the Platinum status to get status matches with other chains, which has, in turn led to more bonus points in those chains. Plus I get upgrades about 1/2 the time (in PC and in the chains I matched to).
Because there are so many good deals thru PC, and they keep offering various promos, I still have nearly as many points as I did when I got this card 1+ year ago.
So, basically I have received 10-12 nights for free in the past year.
And I have enough points for even more free nights in the coming year(s)
For me this card keeps giving and giving and giving...........
The problem with PointBreaks stays is that most of us can't use them because there are so few properties participating. Lucky for you that they are available where you need to stay. nada for me. Here's the US list: http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/...rateCode=IVANI
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:19 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by philemer
The problem with PointBreaks stays is that most of us can't use them because there are so few properties participating. Lucky for you that they are available where you need to stay. nada for me. Here's the US list: http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/...rateCode=IVANI
Stay tuned, there should be a new list up sometime this week.
I do understand that PB are hit or miss. However in the PB threads here and on other bulletin boards I have read many, many successes, including people saving themselves thousands of dollars on long stays.
One of these days PB may have something that is just right for you.
And keep in mind that PC is continuing to develop new promos, like the one day sale.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Forgive the cross-post, but there are rumblings that credit card holders may receive Platinum instead of Gold level as an automatic benefit...

Last edited by jumpdogjump; Mar 22, 2012 at 12:41 pm Reason: Included link to thread in IC forum
Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:33 pm

Can I get this promotion multiple times?

I had a Priority Club Visa card 4 years ago and got the bonus points at that time already and I have closed that card 4 years ago. Can I apply for this one and get the bonus again? Thanks.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
Forgive the cross-post, but there are rumblings that credit card holders may receive Platinum instead of Gold level as an automatic benefit...
You mean ongoing benefits?

b/c 80K points for first year gets you to platinum instantly.
but keeping the card beyond 1 year, and still keeping platinum would be nice..

where is this news from?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA peon
Originally Posted by vmsea
You mean ongoing benefits?

b/c 80K points for first year gets you to platinum instantly.
but keeping the card beyond 1 year, and still keeping platinum would be nice..

where is this news from?
I was too chicken to sign up using the targeted link in this thread and got the regular 60k promo instead.

My status on the website appears to platinum as of this moment with 60,679 points to my name. I haven't set foot in an IHG hotel this year so I can't say for sure it's for real.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:14 am

Programs: MR, SPG, IHG, HH, CC, AA, UA, BA, DL
Originally Posted by lunettes noires
My status on the website appears to platinum as of this moment with 60,679 points to my name. I haven't set foot in an IHG hotel this year so I can't say for sure it's for real.
You need to reach 60K points in a year to get Platinum, so your status is for real.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:41 am
GGE

Programs: DL, US, AA, Marriott Silver, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by HmmDonuts
You need to reach 60K points in a year to get Platinum, so your status is for real.
Just trying to be certain I have this straight.

You apply for this card using either the offer in the OP (80K points) or using the current one that's kickign around (60K points). Either way you get enough points to become platinum for the first year (requires 60K points to be platinum).

That much I have straight.

The card's T&Cs state that you will also receive and maintain automatic gold every year as long as you have the card.

Here's what I don't have clear:

If you keep those initial 60,000 points (enuogh for Plat. status) and don't spend any, do they roll over into the next year? If so, isn't that enough to keep you at platinum status, regardless of being a card-holder (which gets you at least gold status).

If that's true, then of course getting the 60K offer really means you're going to be, and remain, plat... as long as you don't spend points enough to get you below a 60K balance. Right?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by GGE
Here's what I don't have clear:

If you keep those initial 60,000 points (enuogh for Plat. status) and don't spend any, do they roll over into the next year? If so, isn't that enough to keep you at platinum status, regardless of being a card-holder (which gets you at least gold status).

If that's true, then of course getting the 60K offer really means you're going to be, and remain, plat... as long as you don't spend points enough to get you below a 60K balance. Right?
You need to earn 60k points in a year in order to qualify plat status for the remainder of that year and the next year. Its just like most airline elite programs, hotel elite qualification is reset at each calendar year.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 6:30 am
GGE

Programs: DL, US, AA, Marriott Silver, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by deltame
You need to earn 60k points in a year in order to qualify plat status for the remainder of that year and the next year. Its just like most airline elite programs, hotel elite qualification is reset at each calendar year.
Gotcha, that makes more sense to me, thanks.

So in this case it sounds like if you get this card, you will get either 60K or 80K points, depending on the offer you app and are approved for, and you will get plat status for the first year thanks to those 60K points, then will get automatic gold status for the life of your card after the first year (as a perk of holding the card).

And PC gold is for those with 15 - 49 nights, so it is roughly equivalent to getting Marriott Silver as a CC perk, or getting Hilton Silver as a CC perk.

PC Plat would be a bit better, but I don't know if I've read of anyplace *else* status matching PC Plat...

Your explanation is much appreciated.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by lunettes noires
I was too chicken to sign up using the targeted link in this thread and got the regular 60k promo instead.
As a PSA: used the original link. Got 80K signup. Didn't have any issues.
I can see it seems a bit strange, but there's really no issues.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 6:47 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Hilton Honors
How to approach Chase

A week ago I was approved for the 60k Select Visa, then I found this forum and would like to get the extra 20. How do I approach Chase? Do I tell them about the code that is attached to the 80k? Or tell them a friend just received the 80k offer and I would like the difference? I am just curious of the best way to approach Chase to increase the chance of getting the extra 20k.

Thanks for all of the contributors.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:43 pm

*******ATTENTION: RE: PLATINUM ELITE STATUS********

I just recieved a mailer stating:

"you can enjoy Platinum Elite Status right away and keep it as long as you keep the card."

I called both the number on the flyer and Chase and they both confirmed that this "select" card (maybe meaning the 80k link), does indeed give LIFETIME Platinum Elite status EVEN when your balance goes below 60k. As long as the card is kept open Platinum status stays. I was pretty surpised to find this out as I also thought that status ended on Dec 31st. But definately not the case.

Wow. Nice perk.

Also the free night cert has a 6 month redemption timeframe.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL Silver, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by scwam
*******ATTENTION: RE: PLATINUM ELITE STATUS********

I just recieved a mailer stating:

"you can enjoy Platinum Elite Status right away and keep it as long as you keep the card."

I called both the number on the flyer and Chase and they both confirmed that this "select" card (maybe meaning the 80k link), does indeed give LIFETIME Platinum Elite status EVEN when your balance goes below 60k. As long as the card is kept open Platinum status stays. I was pretty surpised to find this out as I also thought that status ended on Dec 31st. But definately not the case.

Wow. Nice perk.

Also the free night cert has a 6 month redemption timeframe.
Got the same mailer - was pretty clear as long as you keep the card you are Plat. Nice to see a card upping benefits versus many cutting them.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by bearcat74
Got the same mailer - was pretty clear as long as you keep the card you are Plat. Nice to see a card upping benefits versus many cutting them.
I just noticed I cross-posted this. But why are other people harping this deal on the other post?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.