FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Ultimate Rewards & CSP Benefit Changes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1238626-ultimate-rewards-csp-benefit-changes.html)

kkamakasi Oct 25, 2011 3:33 am

Originally Posted by keirnna (Post 17330961)
If you apply for the Visa you get the Visa and if you apply for the MasterCard you get the MC. It's that simple!

But no where on the application does it tell me to pick one ???

Chase Sapphire Preferred Application

mia Oct 25, 2011 7:25 am

Originally Posted by kkamakasi (Post 17331236)
But no where on the application does it tell me to pick one ???

Welcome to Flyertalk.

If you apply using that link Chase will decide which network to issue, and it will "probably" be VISA because that is Chase's primary affiliation. If you need a MasterCard, go to mastercard.us and use their Find a Credit Card feature to navigate to Chase Sapphire Preferred.

kkamakasi Oct 25, 2011 10:24 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 17331900)
Welcome to Flyertalk.

If you apply using that link Chase will decide which network to issue, and it will "probably" be VISA because that is Chase's primary affiliation. If you need a MasterCard, go to mastercard.us and use their Find a Credit Card feature to navigate to Chase Sapphire Preferred.

ahh... okay. Thank you for the answer.

radioactive Oct 27, 2011 10:15 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 17294676)
Travelocity through Ultimate Rewards is not as good a deal as first appears. I purchased two airline tickets, and the receipt shows:

2 Adults: $842.00
Taxes & Fees: $442.20
Total: $1,284.20

When Travelocity reported this transaction to Ultimate Rewards they excluded the taxes and fees which were included in the fare:

10/10/2011 10/14/2011 Online Purchase
Travelocity.com
Transaction amount $842.00
Eligible amount $842.00
1,684 Points

So how many points did you end up receiving for this transaction, total? I mean, if Sapphire credits 2 points for dollar for travel and your tickets were $1284, wouldn't you have been better off booking direct with the airline if you only received 1684 points? Or did you receive a bonus for booking through Travelocity?

mia Oct 27, 2011 10:50 am

Originally Posted by radioactive (Post 17345409)
So how many points did you end up receiving for this transaction, total?

I received 4,252 points

1,284 from Chase for using the card
1,284 from Chase for the travel category bonus
1,684 from Travelocity for using the shopping portal

I had expected to receive 5,136, but Travelocity does not award points on the taxes and fees portion of the transaction.

wco81 Oct 27, 2011 11:55 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 17345613)
I received 4,252 points

1,284 from Chase for using the card
1,284 from Chase for the travel category bonus
1,684 from Travelocity for using the shopping portal

I had expected to receive 5,136, but Travelocity does not award points on the taxes and fees portion of the transaction.

Do they break it down like that? I booked a flight on the UR site and supposedly they're suppose to give me 3x the points rather than the normal 2X?

Had some other transactions all coming up to around $3000. Flight was $944 and the total points I got was 5500 plus a few.

Another one was a prepaid car rental for Auto Europe, though I didn't book it through UR, of about $550-600.

mia Oct 27, 2011 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 17345969)
Do they break it down .

Credit card statement breaks it down like this:

• Previous points balance
  • Points earned on purchases
  • Bonus points earned on Dining
  • Bonus points earned for Travel
  • Bonus Points from Ultimate Rewards Travel
  • Bonus Points earned at Ultimate Rewards Mall
  • Current Points Total

The details of the Bonus Points earned at Ultimate Rewards Mall are listed on ultimaterewards.com, not on the credit card statement.

samonyc Oct 27, 2011 2:11 pm

If you purchase a flight with Ultimate Rewards, using a combination of points and dollars, does it earn elite qualifying miles?

wco81 Oct 27, 2011 6:33 pm

Well I bought a ticket with just dollars on UR so it better give qualifying miles.

I've been going with paperless statements but I haven't been downloading the PDFs. That has more detail than just the online web page, I've been finding out.

Aitchly Oct 28, 2011 7:46 am

Originally Posted by samonyc (Post 17346754)
If you purchase a flight with Ultimate Rewards, using a combination of points and dollars, does it earn elite qualifying miles?

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 17348105)
Well I bought a ticket with just dollars on UR so it better give qualifying miles.

Using UR points is the same as buying a ticket with $$.

samonyc Oct 28, 2011 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Aitchly (Post 17350579)
Using UR points is the same as buying a ticket with $$.

Great. Thanks!

Red '74 TR6 Oct 29, 2011 11:08 am

I'd originally got this card in order to transfer points to miles into CO OP. Points are now piling up. I now see that they have a dizzying array of transfer partners. I have memberships in many of the hotel groups but don't really have a good feel for what or who gives me the most bang for my buck. Plus I have no idea of what kind of bang for my buck I can get with all of the other partners.

Does anyone see any great deals on transfers to other partners? Rule of thumb I use is 25k = ~$500 which applies to UA/CO. Before I just xfer my 60k points to UA/CO, who else should I consider?

birdseye Oct 29, 2011 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by RK7 (Post 17356506)
I'd originally got this card in order to transfer points to miles into CO OP. Points are now piling up. I now see that they have a dizzying array of transfer partners. I have memberships in many of the hotel groups but don't really have a good feel for what or who gives me the most bang for my buck. Plus I have no idea of what kind of bang for my buck I can get with all of the other partners.

Does anyone see any great deals on transfers to other partners? Rule of thumb I use is 25k = ~$500 which applies to UA/CO. Before I just xfer my 60k points to UA/CO, who else should I consider?

I think you'll get the best return for your points transferring them to one of the mileage programs and redeeming for airplane tickets (I vote for UA/CO, but if there was availability somewhere I wanted to go on BA or Korean I would do that). Hyatt is another good redemption value, especially if you redeem in expensive cities like Paris and Hyatt.

Priority Club points are worth about $0.006 each since you can buy them for that much on the cash and points options. Since I value a mile at about $0.015, I wouldn't transfer UR points to Priority Club unless I was a few points short of an award night I wanted to redeem. I'm not sure what to value a Marriott point at, but I do think the mile is worth more. I wouldn't transfer to Marriott unless I had an award night picked out in Europe. Amtrak can be a good value in certain situations. For example, a ticket on the Amtrak Cascades route from Portland, OR to Vancouver, BC only costs 1,000 points, and a bedroom within 1 zone costs only 20,000 points (there are 3 zones within the US, and a bedroom will hold either 2 adults, or 2 adults and 2 children under 12).

Keep your points in Ultimate Rewards until you decide what to use them on, or until you close your card.

crimson12 Oct 29, 2011 5:30 pm

Just to follow up on the last post: although I'm keeping my points in UR for now, my intention is to transfer them to Hyatt -- at the Park Hyatt Vendome in Paris you can redeem 20,000 points for a night that could easily cost you upwards of $1000. I think the Park Hyatt in the Maldives offers a similarly impressive "rate of return"

wco81 Oct 29, 2011 6:55 pm

Yeah but doesn't 20,000 points represent thousands of dollars in spending?

Maybe over $10,000 in spending?