FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Ultimate Rewards & CSP Benefit Changes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1238626-ultimate-rewards-csp-benefit-changes.html)

mia Oct 18, 2011 7:45 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 17282124)
...bear in mind this is a fairly new card and there are few who have had the card long enough to reach the first anniversary.

Originally Posted by atlas_shrugged (Post 17292780)
How long has the card been available on the street? (< 1 year?)

About two years (we have some discussion from November 2009), but the initial reaction here was indifferent because Chase does not identify the points transfer partners in their advertising. Still, there should be Flyertalk members who have reached their first anniversary with the card.

mia Oct 18, 2011 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by chipahoy82 (Post 17274497)
Thanks again. While Travelocity has this special bonus, I will book my flight thru them instead of thry UR rewards.

Travelocity through Ultimate Rewards is not as good a deal as first appears. I purchased two airline tickets, and the receipt shows:

2 Adults: $842.00
Taxes & Fees: $442.20
Total: $1,284.20

When Travelocity reported this transaction to Ultimate Rewards they excluded the taxes and fees which were included in the fare:

10/10/2011 10/14/2011 Online Purchase
Travelocity.com
Transaction amount $842.00
Eligible amount $842.00
1,684 Points

This is disclosed in the terms:

Please note these terms & conditions: Customers will be credited when purchase of airline ticket is completed online. Taxes, fees, and Amtrak tickets are not eligible. Not eligible on purchase of Gift Cards, activities, or travel for good products. Not eligible on rental cars as of 7/12/2011. Travel booked through other advertisers on Travelocity.com such as Globus Vacations are not commissionable.
By comparison, Expedia terms:

Customers will not be credited until trip has commenced.
Orbitz terms:

Please note these terms & conditions: Booking includes air, hotel, rental car or cruises. Customers will be rewarded when reservations have been fulfilled. Merchant Hotels require pre-payment but Retail Hotels do not. Rewards not eligible on Amtrak tickets.
My conclusion is that we will receive more points by booking through Travelocity, but not twice the amount. Travelocity also posted only a few days after purchasing the tickets, while the others post after the flight date.

dyang003 Oct 18, 2011 12:14 pm

just applied today and got instant approval. my first chase card :cool:

mot29 Oct 18, 2011 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 17294676)

When Travelocity reported this transaction to Ultimate Rewards they excluded the taxes and fees which were included in the fare:

10/10/2011 10/14/2011 Online Purchase
Travelocity.com
Transaction amount $842.00
Eligible amount $842.00
1,684 Points

This is disclosed in the terms:

My conclusion is that we will receive more points by booking through Travelocity, but not twice the amount. Travelocity also posted only a few days after purchasing the tickets, while the others post after the flight date.

I've noticed this on various purchases -- taxes get excluded for purchases earning points on ebates, expedia rewards, etc.

Given the dollars cited, I'm guessing this isn't all tax -- but includes the infamous YQ fuel surcharges -- which aren't really taxes, but fees that the airline actually collects.

mia Oct 18, 2011 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by mot29 (Post 17294790)
... isn't all tax ...

Probably, but these are flights originating at LHR, part of it should be UK APD. In any event, Travelocity is covered by excluding "fees".

chipahoy82 Oct 18, 2011 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 17294676)

Good to know....when booking through UR, you get 3x points on the total (including all taxes and fees), correct?

millere2 Oct 18, 2011 1:25 pm

UA and UR

As previously blogged about and speculated about UA and UR I found another advertisement on Chase UR. Log in your account, at the top click "travel" then click "flights, hotels, rental cars".

Off to the left it says: NEW...United Mileage Plus is now a transfer partner 1:1

Link is still broken though when you click on it. My Amex Plat card is getting closer and closer to getting cut up.....or at least downgraded to Gold.

S.Marsh Oct 18, 2011 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by chipahoy82 (Post 17295096)
Good to know....when booking through UR, you get 3x points on the total (including all taxes and fees), correct?

Correcto. I've booked a few domestic trips in the past 2 months and the accumulative bonuses have been more like 3.5pts per dollar once you add in the SP's default 2X bonus.

leonard016 Oct 18, 2011 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by S.Marsh (Post 17296151)
Correcto. I've booked a few domestic trips in the past 2 months and the accumulative bonuses have been more like 3.5pts per dollar once you add in the SP's default 2X bonus.

Where did you get 3.5 points/$? I think you get exactly 3 points/$ when purchasing airfare thru UR: 1 point on purchase, 1 bonus point for travel, 1 bonus point for UR booking.

Adding the 7% annual bonus points, it will be x3.21. But these won't show until anniversary.

S.Marsh Oct 19, 2011 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by leonard016 (Post 17297499)
Where did you get 3.5 points/$? I think you get exactly 3 points/$ when purchasing airfare thru UR: 1 point on purchase, 1 bonus point for travel, 1 bonus point for UR booking.

Adding the 7% annual bonus points, it will be x3.21. But these won't show until anniversary.

My mistake. I quoted the wrong post. That was a statement directed at the Travelocity bonus after taxes and fees were deducted from their final price. Again, my apologies.

Aaron01 Oct 20, 2011 7:54 am

Originally Posted by efox (Post 17213532)
It seems that United has just been added as a transfer partner in the Ultimate Rewards. At present, however, there is no place to enter your UA account #, so it is not working yet.

The UA transfer page appears to be functional now as there is the field for MileagePlus account #

beltway Oct 20, 2011 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Aaron01 (Post 17305941)
The UA transfer page appears to be functional now as there is the field for MileagePlus account #

Roger that; visible in my UR account as well. Good news, indeed.

chipahoy82 Oct 20, 2011 8:36 am

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 17306139)
Roger that; visible in my UR account as well. Good news, indeed.

Yup, it annouced on the UR main page (once you log-in) that United is now a member of the 1:1 transfer program

LLJFK88 Oct 20, 2011 9:19 am

I don't think this warrants another thread, but I was just curious if others have experience in regards to the Chase Freedom card & Sapphire Preferred and "First Spend" bonuses posting.

When I got my Sapphire Preferred I had my points adjusted to a targeted offer I received, so I don't have experience with how quickly points post.

I got targeted for 30K freedom points after first spend. on the back it says points could take from 6-8 weeks to post, but Starwood says 8-12 weeks and they post before the billing cycle closes.

Should I expect after the billing cycle closes or the full 6-8 weeks?

wco81 Oct 20, 2011 9:21 am

Originally Posted by chipahoy82 (Post 17306160)
Yup, it annouced on the UR main page (once you log-in) that United is now a member of the 1:1 transfer program

So is there a reason to keep both the Chase Sapphire Preferred and the Chase OnePass or MilesExplorer cards?

No forex on the Sapphire, same $95 annual fee. Only advantage of the OnePass or MilesExplorer would be the waived baggage fees?

But I'm planning to do a status match on a couple of international flights. First, do they charge baggage fees on international flights? Second, elites, even temporary elites doing a status match, should not have baggage fees on UA or CO?