FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Ultimate Rewards & CSP Benefit Changes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1238626-ultimate-rewards-csp-benefit-changes.html)

chipahoy82 Oct 14, 2011 10:45 am

Extra Points in Ultimate Rewards Mall with Chase Sapphire Preferred

My apologies if this has been asked already....

If I were to use the Ultimate Rewards mall with my Chase Sapphire Preffered Card for Travelocity.com and spend $100, where I earn "2 extra pts/$", how many total points would I earn?

A) I would earn 400 points. 200 (double points for travel on Chase Sapphire Preferred) + 200 (2 extra pts/$ and I'm spending $100)

B) I would earn 200 points. (2 extra pts/$ and I'm spending $100)

C) I would earn 300 points (100 base points + 200 (2 extra pts/$ and I'm spending $100) + 0 travel bonus points (since the UR Mall overrides this) )

Thank you!

mia Oct 14, 2011 10:58 am

Originally Posted by chipahoy82 (Post 17274202)
A) I would earn 400 points.

Correct:

• 1 point per dollar from Chase for using the card
  • 1 point per dollar from Chase for the travel category bonus
  • 2 points per dollar from Travelocity for using the shopping portal link

chipahoy82 Oct 14, 2011 11:08 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 17274287)
Correct:

• 1 point per dollar from Chase for using the card
  • 1 point per dollar from Chase for the travel category bonus
  • 2 points per dollar from Travelocity for using the shopping portal link

Thanks that's great. So basically the Travelocity deal is better than booking a trip thru Ultimate Rewards (since I would only get 300 points there on a $100 purchase). I think I can still get frequent flyer miles through Travelocity right?

wco81 Oct 14, 2011 11:29 am

I just assumed given the relationship between Chase and CO/UA that UA would continue that after the merger.

So was surprised to see no UA link in the UR site.

I hadn't planned to keep both the Sapphire Preferred and the One Pass cards after the first year. I believe Sapphire Preferred has no forex fees but the One Pass may?

So I would have dropped the One Pass as long as I could transfer points into miles with Sapphire Preferred, after getting the One Pass 25k bonus.

mia Oct 14, 2011 11:31 am

In most online shopping portals Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc offer the same reward, and it's typically one point or mile per dollar. Here, Travelocity is offering more than the others. This is unlikely to be a permanent deal, and any merchant can change their offer at any time.

You should earn miles when booking through an online travel agency, but some hotel programs do not recognize elite status or award points on agency bookings.

chipahoy82 Oct 14, 2011 11:36 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 17274463)
In most online shopping portals Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc offer the same reward, and it's typically one point or mile per dollar. Here, Travelocity is offering more than the others. This is unlikely to be a permanent deal, and any merchant can change their offer at any time.

You should earn miles when booking through an online travel agency, but some hotel programs do not recognize elite status or award points on agency bookings.

Thanks again. While Travelocity has this special bonus, I will book my flight thru them instead of thry UR rewards.

atlas_shrugged Oct 15, 2011 8:45 pm

Waive Annual Fees?

I am considering switching from my Amex SPG, given how much international travel & purchases I do -- (although, I do have a fond affection for Starwood properties).

A couple of questions:

1. Does Chase waive the US$95 annual fee, from after the initial year? Amex does not waive their annual fees, even with begging.

2. Is the Chase Sapphire as flexible as the SPG to redeem air and hotel for availability/blackout dates? I never had an issue with the SPG card in terms of claiming these rewards.

Thanks.

sunrider101 Oct 15, 2011 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by atlas_shrugged (Post 17280775)
I am considering switching from my Amex SPG, given how much international travel & purchases I do -- (although, I do have a fond affection for Starwood properties).

A couple of questions:

1. Does Chase waive the US$95 annual fee, from after the initial year? Amex does not waive their annual fees, even with begging.

2. Is the Chase Sapphire as flexible as the SPG to redeem air and hotel for availability/blackout dates? I never had an issue with the SPG card in terms of claiming these rewards.

Thanks.

I don't know about your 1st question. btw, i thought i read somewhere in FT where people managed to coax amex to waive annual fees with high spending....

I just transferred chase points to KE, and it was instantenous. literally. I had KE website open, i clicked transfer, and then i refreshed KE website, and voila~ there it was. that simple.

I think SPG transfer takes some time.. no?

mia Oct 16, 2011 7:40 am

Welcome to Flyertalk.

I suggest looking in this thread for reports of Sapphire renewal fee waivers or bonuses, but bear in mind this is a fairly new card and there are few who have had the card long enough to reach the first anniversary.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...all-cards.html

joeyz101 Oct 17, 2011 8:40 pm

Hi All,

I just applied and have been approved for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. I am getting married in November 2012 and would like to use the 50K bonus points plus all points from purchases throughout the next year+ to hopefully cover all or most of the airline ticket cost for my fiance' and I.

Also, we are getting married at a restaurant. If I pay the reception fee using my card should I expect to receive 2X for every dollar (ie if reception is $20K I get 40,000 points).

1. What is the best way to maximize the points I get throughout the year? Obviously 2x for every $ on dining, airfare, hotels, taxis, rental cars, etc. Is there anything else I need to be educated on so I can get the most points for my purchases?

2. My fiance' and I are thinking of going somewhere in the Carribean. Any thoughts on the amount of points I'll need to amass to cover the cost of two round trip coach tickets for a mid November 2012 Honeymoon? I am guessing I will have to book the flight and hotel well in advance of Nov. 2012.

Any thoughts are appreciated - credit card miles/points are a new world for me...I think I have a headache :)

Thanks,
joeyz101

mot29 Oct 18, 2011 6:00 am

Playing around with transfers among the various Chase Ultimate Rewards programs from different cards. Points are worth a penny each for cash back on the Freedom Cards and I can transfer points among my various Freedom cards.
Points are worth a penny each on the Sapphire card if applied as a credit against prior purchases. But worth 1.25 cents when applied to travel booked through the UR site and I can get double points for those bookings.
But booking through travelocity gets me an extra 2 points per dollar.
So booking a $500 ticket through travelocity linked through UR shopping earns me 2000 points worth $20, and apply 2000 points as a credit -- net cost of ticket $460.
Or I can book the ticket through UR/Rearden and apply 2000 points and end up paying $475 and earning back 950 points, worth $9.50, net cost of ticket $465.50.
Did I calculate that correctly? Or am I missing something?

chipahoy82 Oct 18, 2011 6:27 am

Originally Posted by mot29 (Post 17292470)
Playing around with transfers among the various Chase Ultimate Rewards programs from different cards. Points are worth a penny each for cash back on the Freedom Cards and I can transfer points among my various Freedom cards.
Points are worth a penny each on the Sapphire card if applied as a credit against prior purchases. But worth 1.25 cents when applied to travel booked through the UR site and I can get double points for those bookings.
But booking through travelocity gets me an extra 2 points per dollar.
So booking a $500 ticket through travelocity linked through UR shopping earns me 2000 points worth $20, and apply 2000 points as a credit -- net cost of ticket $460.
Or I can book the ticket through UR/Rearden and apply 2000 points and end up paying $475 and earning back 950 points, worth $9.50, net cost of ticket $465.50.
Did I calculate that correctly? Or am I missing something?

I believe you always get an extra bonus point (so triple points) when booking your travel through the UR travel portal. So, paying $475 would get you 1,425 points.

atlas_shrugged Oct 18, 2011 7:20 am

How long has the card been available on the street? (< 1 year?)

If > 1 year, has anyone been successful for Chase to waive the US$95 annual fee?

S.Marsh Oct 18, 2011 7:29 am

Originally Posted by joeyz101 (Post 17291075)
1. What is the best way to maximize the points I get throughout the year? Obviously 2x for every $ on dining, airfare, hotels, taxis, rental cars, etc. Is there anything else I need to be educated on so I can get the most points for my purchases?

Aside from putting all of your daily expenses on the card, you could use the Freedom to squeeze out some more points during the 5X quarterlies and then transfer the points over to your Sapphire Preferred UR program.

joeyz101 Oct 18, 2011 7:39 am

Thanks S.Marsh,

What does applying for / opening multiple credit cards do to your credit score? I have an excellent credit score now and since I am getting married next year I have some important things on the horizon like buying our first home.

I am sure it is a lack of knowledge on my part because it seems as though many on this site open multiple cards to take advantage of the bonus points offered.

If this question is off topic I would love it if someone can point me to a thread that focuses on how to do this intelligently.

I would also be interested to know if anyone has had success waiving the $95 fee in the second year?

Thanks,
joeyz101