Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2012, 6:47 am

[ACTIVE]Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points

As a side note to maybe help (or confuse) those of you who are debating whether or not to try to get CP in 2012 or wait until after the first of the year:

I am going to guess that there will be major changes to the CP program some time in 2013. I was reading last night about the union votes to approve the new SW intl routes. Sounds optimistic that they might have a Pilot and FA deal soon. That coupled with the previously announced implementation of a new reservation system in late 2013/2014 dictates when SW starts flying the AirTran intl routes. Who knows how they will manage Rapid Rewards with the new intl routes, SW has never flown intl so we really cant speculate. I kind of wish I could get the CP in early 2013 and have it through 2014 so I at least have a chance at Jamaica, Mexico, etc. But alas my current earning ability wont make that work. And theres always the risk that in waiting partner bonuses might finally stop counting toward status.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:31 am

I applied for the SW RR Personal Plus and the Business Plus credit cards simultaneously yesterday. I did not get instant approval on either of them. So I called the Personal card reconsideration line today and the CSR said that it's still processing and he cannot do anything right now and asked me to call back in 2 weeks.

Then I called the Business card reconsideration line. A lady picked up and told me that my application was denied because of too many recent credit inquiries and many open accounts with Chase. I asked her whether anything can be done to get this approval such as moving my balances or closing a credit card. I currently have Freedom, Slate and Sapphire Preferred. She put me on hold for a minute and asked me some basic questions about my business. then she said she will reduce the balance on my Sapphire Card (Limit $22,500) and approved the card with a limit of $7,500.

Now I wanted to give the personal card another shot. I called and the CSR who picked up gave me the same answer as the earlier one. He said nothing can be done at this time as the application still pending.

Has anyone had this kind of response from the personal card rep? I find it strange because I was able to get the Business card so easily, which I thought would be tougher.

Last edited by elegantscorpio; Aug 29, 2012 at 10:55 am Reason: spell check
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:48 am

Hey i had the same issue, where did you find the number of the Business card reconsideration line? Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:51 am

Both my wife and I got the "you have to wait, there's nothing we can do" response when we called the personal recon line (in contrast to the business recon line, which was fine). Both personal apps were approved within a few days and we never had to call in about them. Seems to be a standard procedure.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:06 pm

Ok I found the number - 888-245-0625

My business AP was approved once i talked to them on the phone. They needed to allocate some money from one of my other Chase cards and also wanted more information about my business. Once i gave them that she told me it was approved on the phone.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by siruis
Hey i had the same issue, where did you find the number of the Business card reconsideration line? Thanks!
I found the Business card # from the frugal travel guy's website. It's 800-453-9719.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:08 pm

My plan for SW CP in Jan 2013

I'm doing this for my wife as she has less Chase cards than I do. She has an annual fee due in mid-October for her Marriot card, so that's when I plan to have her apply for the SW Premier 50K so she can trade for the Marriot card. That gives her until mid-Jan 2013 to meet the 1K spend. When we get the card, we'd activate it and make a few purchases, but hold off on the bulk. On Jan 2 or 3, I'll pay her tuition bill with it to meet the spend all at once.

Next I'll buy 10K Marriot points at a cost of $125, to combine with the current 115K I have between my account and my wife's. I'll transfer those in Jan 2013 to Southwest for a total of 50K.

Third, I'll purchase 30K Choice points at a cost of $330 and transfer them to Southwest for 9K points. I know there's a cap for purchasing Choice points of 20K/year, so I'd need to split that between 2012 and 2013. I might do less in this category and compensate by actually spending $ on the SW Premier card. I can't decide yet, it depends on when we want to start traveling!!

Chase SW Premier: 50K
Chase SW Premier spend: 1K
Marriot transfer: 50K
Choice transfer: 9K
Additional cost to me: $455

Any glaring flaws to my plan?
Old Sep 3, 2012, 5:29 pm

I have both the SWA personal and business and my miles are about to post so I'm ready to get the last 10k for CP. if I apply for the chase Marriott, can I transfer the bonus miles to SWA or am I stuck having to buy them?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by 8fingeredflyer
I'm doing this for my wife as she has less Chase cards than I do. She has an annual fee due in mid-October for her Marriot card, so that's when I plan to have her apply for the SW Premier 50K so she can trade for the Marriot card. That gives her until mid-Jan 2013 to meet the 1K spend. When we get the card, we'd activate it and make a few purchases, but hold off on the bulk. On Jan 2 or 3, I'll pay her tuition bill with it to meet the spend all at once.

Next I'll buy 10K Marriot points at a cost of $125, to combine with the current 115K I have between my account and my wife's. I'll transfer those in Jan 2013 to Southwest for a total of 50K.

Third, I'll purchase 30K Choice points at a cost of $330 and transfer them to Southwest for 9K points. I know there's a cap for purchasing Choice points of 20K/year, so I'd need to split that between 2012 and 2013. I might do less in this category and compensate by actually spending $ on the SW Premier card. I can't decide yet, it depends on when we want to start traveling!!

I thought that the points for the CP had to be earned in the same calendar year? That is, you can spread the spend to earn bonus points/miles over different years, but the points required for the CP had to be earned in the same year?

For instance, I just received my card and I thought I only had until the end of this year to earn a CP for the rest of 2012 and all of 2013?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
That is correct. All credit toward earning a CP has to be done in the same calendar year.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
This is a somewhat silly question, but does the annual fee count towards the $1000 minimum spend? I know, I know, I should just spend the extra $99 (Premier card) to be safe, but I'm trying to meet the minimum spend for three different credit cards at once, and putting that $99 on another card would help me out a little bit.

I looked a couple pages back but didn't see anything and it's not exactly an easy search with those terms.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Antipode
This is a somewhat silly question, but does the annual fee count towards the $1000 minimum spend? I know, I know, I should just spend the extra $99 (Premier card) to be safe, but I'm trying to meet the minimum spend for three different credit cards at once, and putting that $99 on another card would help me out a little bit.

I looked a couple pages back but didn't see anything and it's not exactly an easy search with those terms.
I think this is very unlikely and I wouldn't count on it even if I'd read reports of people claiming it worked. You really don't want to risk the 50k on whether a single $99 of spend counted.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: A few
annual fee does not count toward spend
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by gloreglabert
I think this is very unlikely and I wouldn't count on it even if I'd read reports of people claiming it worked. You really don't want to risk the 50k on whether a single $99 of spend counted.
I agree it's not worth the risk without a definitive answer, but I could easily wait until the next statement and if the 50k aren't on that statement, I'd still have plenty of time to spend the extra $99 before 3 months are up.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:53 pm

yep

Originally Posted by 8fingeredflyer

yep, its first purchase that gets the points...I got my cards in Dec. and waited till Jan to activate and make first purchase...got CP till end of 2013

wait till mid Dec and get personal and business if possible.

If new offer has $1000 min spend before you get points I would still wait till Jan just to be safe....you would hate to lose the CP because they posted early

Last edited by wise2u; Sep 5, 2012 at 10:56 pm Reason: new offer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.