Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:11 am

Are the United explorer business and personal cards considered the same product for the 50k bonus? I got the personal bonus 2 years back and the business bonus 1 year back. Can I get the personal bonus again now?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bobby21
Are the United explorer business and personal cards considered the same product for the 50k bonus? I got the personal bonus 2 years back and the business bonus 1 year back. Can I get the personal bonus again now?
AFAIK, the Biz and Personal are clearly different products. But the current offer for the personal is only 30K. Assuming you are flying UA quite a lot, the free checked bag and priority boarding may be worth it. Otherwise, there are far more lucrative cards out there.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by bobby21
They are separate products. Incredibly, the wiki didn't include this info; I've now cured that omission.

Originally Posted by Brugge
AFAIK, the Biz and Personal are clearly different products. But the current offer for the personal is only 30K.
There's a loosely targeted 50K+5K offer. See the wiki at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...nt-credit.html for a link plus alternative workarounds (many of which seem to have lost their efficacy, alas).
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by beltway
They are separate products. Incredibly, the wiki didn't include this info; I've now cured that omission.

There's a loosely targeted 50K+5K offer. See the wiki at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...nt-credit.html for a link plus alternative workarounds (many of which seem to have lost their efficacy, alas).
^ Thanks, but it didn't work for me.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: Ritz-Carlton Gold, Hyatt Plat, AAdvantage Gold, SPG Gold
anyone know if applying in branch for more than 1 card like personal + business is at all practical with 1 inquiry compared to online?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by TReckoner
anyone know if applying in branch for more than 1 card like personal + business is at all practical with 1 inquiry compared to online?
I don't know for sure about Chase, but usually the Bus and Personal cards are processed by different departments, which will want to do their own inquiries. Possibly even with different CBs, but even if the same, AFAIK the CB will not merge HPs for different cards, which is how the Bus and Personal cards will be seen.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:19 am

So I did my first AoR yesterday...but ran into a snag and not sure how to proceed so any insight/recommendations is appreciated. Was going to apply for 4 cards but only did 3 because Chase gave me the 7-10 day wait message on the Business Card.

Credit scores all around 760. Have an existing Personal United Explorer from 9 months ago. Have an LLC I opened years ago but haven't actively pushed revenue through it since I've been employed elsewhere but working on pushing side projects through it this year and ramping side business. Put less than 1yr in business on app as well as estimated 30k income since it wouldn't accept 0.

Applied for CSP as Personal - instantly approved.
SPG Business - instantly approved.
Ink Bold Plus - 7-10 business days wait for notification

Wanted to apply for Personal HHonors Visa Signature but didn't because I didn't want to hurt chances on Bold. I wasn't sure if recon will see HH or SPG days down the road or if they only see inquiries at time of app. Can anyone confirm? Also, I know AoR are typically done on the same day but is it realistic to apply for that HH a few days later or will those inquiries already post to credit report and AMEX would see those?

I'm open to any other recommendations. Thx.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:58 pm

Do all in one day, preferably within an hour.

I think you should have gone ahead with the 4th app. Now it's too late as they will be able to see the other apps. My opinion only.

I did 4 apps recently on 1 day and saw 2 appear on CreditKarma within a couple of hours - scary.

Originally Posted by surewhynot
So I did my first AoR yesterday...but ran into a snag and not sure how to proceed so any insight/recommendations is appreciated. Was going to apply for 4 cards but only did 3 because Chase gave me the 7-10 day wait message on the Business Card.

Credit scores all around 760. Have an existing Personal United Explorer from 9 months ago. Have an LLC I opened years ago but haven't actively pushed revenue through it since I've been employed elsewhere but working on pushing side projects through it this year and ramping side business. Put less than 1yr in business on app as well as estimated 30k income since it wouldn't accept 0.

Applied for CSP as Personal - instantly approved.
SPG Business - instantly approved.
Ink Bold Plus - 7-10 business days wait for notification

Wanted to apply for Personal HHonors Visa Signature but didn't because I didn't want to hurt chances on Bold. I wasn't sure if recon will see HH or SPG days down the road or if they only see inquiries at time of app. Can anyone confirm? Also, I know AoR are typically done on the same day but is it realistic to apply for that HH a few days later or will those inquiries already post to credit report and AMEX would see those?

I'm open to any other recommendations. Thx.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:31 pm

Can anyone verify that 2 separate biz applications within 24 hours still get combined into 1 hard pull?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:24 pm

Hey guys, long time lurker and first time poster!

I currently have 4 Chase cards (CSP, Freedom, SW premier, Amazon). I want to get rid of either the CSP or SW card so that I can go for the Marriott or Ritz Carlton card. I applied for the Marriott card back in January and was rejected for having too many cards. I did not know at the time I could move credit lines, etc.

I also recently opened the Citi Prestige so I don't really need the CSP except for to transfer my UR to hotels/airlines. Should I cancel the CSP or SW or both? Any thoughts? Overall, my goal is to free up some space so I can take advantage of another sign up offer.

Credit score 730-760

Many thanks for your time and sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:32 pm

Boop. Nvm

Last edited by Verpiss; Apr 24, 2015 at 1:55 pm
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by waggles
Hey guys, long time lurker and first time poster!

I currently have 4 Chase cards (CSP, Freedom, SW premier, Amazon). I want to get rid of either the CSP or SW card so that I can go for the Marriott or Ritz Carlton card. I applied for the Marriott card back in January and was rejected for having too many cards. I did not know at the time I could move credit lines, etc.

I also recently opened the Citi Prestige so I don't really need the CSP except for to transfer my UR to hotels/airlines. Should I cancel the CSP or SW or both? Any thoughts? Overall, my goal is to free up some space so I can take advantage of another sign up offer.

Credit score 730-760

Many thanks for your time and sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.
Chase does not have a limit on how many Chase cards you can have open. They may have a limit on how many cards they will approve within X# of days or months. And they absolutely do have a limit how much credit they will allow you to have with them.

So why close an excellent card like the CSP, especially since you can't transfer those Freedom points to other programs without a CSP. The time to cancel a CSP is just before the AF posts for year three. Then wait until it's a full 2 years + a couple of weeks past when Chase gave you the bonus for the CSP. Not the app date, the date they issued the sign up bonus. Then apply for another CSP, and get the sign up bonus again. Since the AF is waived the first year, it will average out to $95/2=$47.50 a year. The CSP is definitely worth that.

So now about CLs. Somewhere around $40K to $80K Chase will decide you have enough CL with them. The first sign is having to always call Recon to get your apps approved. The next level is when the Recon CSP cannot approve an app, but needs to have your app reviewed by a Senior Credit Analyst. The final level is when they will not approve your for more CL, and will not even let you move credit from another Chase card, or close an open card to free up some CL. They will just not let you do anything to open another card, and all you can do is lower your current CLs and or close a card or two on your own, and wait a few months before you apply again.

It sounds like you might be at that last level, since they didn't even suggest moving credit for your rejected app in Jan. If you have any cards with large CLs, say like $20K, it's time to SM Chase to lower them. Ask yourself how much credit you really need on a card. If you have a CL of $10K on that SW card, are you likely to actually charge $10K per month on it? If the answer is no, decide what the max you are likely to spend on it in a month, and SM Chase right from the Chase website you use to check your account balances for that card, to lower the CL on it to whatever max level you expect to need.

I had a CL of $60K with Chase, and went from having to call Recon every time to needing to have my apps get that SCA special review, and getting new cards approved for small CLs. When I lowered my total Chase CL to $25K, suddenly I started getting instant approvals with $20K CLs on new apps again.

If it's been more than 2 years since you got the bonus for the CSP, forget the Marriott, cancel the CSP, lower your total CL with Chase, wait a few weeks and apply for a new CSP. A CSP sign up bonus is worth far more than a Marriott bonus. But if it's too soon to get another CSP, just lower your CLs and wait a couple of weeks to be sure all departments a Chase know you did that, and then apply for a Marriott. Since you seem to be at your max CL with Chase, if you lower that CL by at least $5K, but hopefully more, there will be room for Chase to approve another card for you.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by surewhynot
Originally Posted by Verpiss
If you call chase, I'm pretty sure they'll tell you that they only approve of two cards within a thirty day period.
But of course, OP only applied for 2 cards from Chase, and even at that, one was personal and one was business. The last previous app was 9 months ago, so no problem there.

The word lately is that Chase is getting much more difficult to get bus apps approved than it used to be. Hopefully you have been doing some regular spend on that United card, since unlike Citi Chase takes notice if you've been spending on the cards you already have when you apply for more.

In any case, you should call the Bus Recon line, and talk with them. It's easier to talk someone into approving an app than it is to talk them into overturning a denial once it happens.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
Chase does not have a limit on how many Chase cards you can have open. They may have a limit on how many cards they will approve within X# of days or months. And they absolutely do have a limit how much credit they will allow you to have with them.

So why close an excellent card like the CSP, especially since you can't transfer those Freedom points to other programs without a CSP. The time to cancel a CSP is just before the AF posts for year three. Then wait until it's a full 2 years + a couple of weeks past when Chase gave you the bonus for the CSP. Not the app date, the date they issued the sign up bonus. Then apply for another CSP, and get the sign up bonus again. Since the AF is waived the first year, it will average out to $95/2=$47.50 a year. The CSP is definitely worth that.

So now about CLs. Somewhere around $40K to $80K Chase will decide you have enough CL with them. The first sign is having to always call Recon to get your apps approved. The next level is when the Recon CSP cannot approve an app, but needs to have your app reviewed by a Senior Credit Analyst. The final level is when they will not approve your for more CL, and will not even let you move credit from another Chase card, or close an open card to free up some CL. They will just not let you do anything to open another card, and all you can do is lower your current CLs and or close a card or two on your own, and wait a few months before you apply again.

It sounds like you might be at that last level, since they didn't even suggest moving credit for your rejected app in Jan. If you have any cards with large CLs, say like $20K, it's time to SM Chase to lower them. Ask yourself how much credit you really need on a card. If you have a CL of $10K on that SW card, are you likely to actually charge $10K per month on it? If the answer is no, decide what the max you are likely to spend on it in a month, and SM Chase right from the Chase website you use to check your account balances for that card, to lower the CL on it to whatever max level you expect to need.

I had a CL of $60K with Chase, and went from having to call Recon every time to needing to have my apps get that SCA special review, and getting new cards approved for small CLs. When I lowered my total Chase CL to $25K, suddenly I started getting instant approvals with $20K CLs on new apps again.

If it's been more than 2 years since you got the bonus for the CSP, forget the Marriott, cancel the CSP, lower your total CL with Chase, wait a few weeks and apply for a new CSP. A CSP sign up bonus is worth far more than a Marriott bonus. But if it's too soon to get another CSP, just lower your CLs and wait a couple of weeks to be sure all departments a Chase know you did that, and then apply for a Marriott. Since you seem to be at your max CL with Chase, if you lower that CL by at least $5K, but hopefully more, there will be room for Chase to approve another card for you.
Brugge-thanks for the great advice! I am in the exact situation that you outlined in the last paragraph. My year 3 fee for the CSP is due next month. I did not even think to cancel it and reapply for another CSP. Does this raise suspicion though? Since I'm essentially canceling/reapplying strictly to get the bonus again? Do you have any tips for what to tell the recon line if I don't get instant approval?

I may also message them to lower my Southwest CL as you're right that I don't need such a high limit on the card.

Many thanks for your detailed response.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:53 pm

I was trying to answer yesterday and had problems posting once answer was typed -_______-

It's 2 cards approved within 30 days and it doesn't matter whether it's a business or personal; they both have to run the individual social since no business credit is without individual backing or a look into the individual credit report by the underwriters.

Unless your business is like United airlines

Chase has always been a conservative lender and no two applicants are same even if on surface they appear to have similar stats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.