Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2013, 7:52 pm

Guys

I currently have a Marriott and priority club card. I'm no longer interested in earning Marriott points. Is it possible to change earning style on this card to UR? If not, is it a good idea to ask chase to convert the card into something like a sapphire card so that I can earn UR? This way, I'll stay in good terms for not closing a card within 3 months and also be able to earn UR. I also plan on getting Ink cards though not immediately (possible upcoming refi)

What do you guys think?
Old May 20, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by Duffman
hey guys - I've tried searching and reading through this thread but couldn't find a confirmed answer.

Has anyone successfully churned the Chase Hyatt Card?

A data point I want to contribute - I had a BA card (got 100k sign up) that I cancelled in May 2012. I didn't read enough and applied for the BA card last month for the 100k (50k+25k+25k) offer. After 2k in spending I read a bunch of threads and realized I made a mistake - didn't expect to get the 50k again. Lo and behold it shows up on my account at statement closing! Very pleasantly surprised. I don't know how/why it happened but happy to provide additional info for any questions

Cheers,
Woah! Nice! thanks for the data point. You are now the third person to tell me that they successfully churned a BA card.
Did you put in the same FF# ?

Originally Posted by sam007
Guys

I currently have a Marriott and priority club card. I'm no longer interested in earning Marriott points. Is it possible to change earning style on this card to UR? If not, is it a good idea to ask chase to convert the card into something like a sapphire card so that I can earn UR? This way, I'll stay in good terms for not closing a card within 3 months and also be able to earn UR. I also plan on getting Ink cards though not immediately (possible upcoming refi)

What do you guys think?
Yeah, unfortunately I don't think that's possible. There's no way to convert the Marriott card to a Sapphire card. The only way to earn UR would be to get a card that earns UR.

I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to mortgages and refinancing etc, but from what I've read, you definitely don't want to get cardS before a refi.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by sam007
Guys

What do you guys think?
Co branded cards cannot be converted into Chase cards directly. What you can do is apply for the Chase card that you want and transfer the credit line over to the new card, or use the available credit you have on the co branded card as leverage to secure the approval.

Also if you're going for a refinance its advised not to add new credit anywhere from 90 days to 6 months prior but if your file is thick you have more of a leeway than someone with a thin file.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by jatink129
Woah! Nice! thanks for the data point. You are now the third person to tell me that they successfully churned a BA card.
Did you put in the same FF# ?
I've gotten the BA card three times. Once in 2006 for 25K miles, once in 2009 (pre Avios) for 100K miles, and once in February for 50+25+25 Avios. I believe that is because each one was a different "card" though I can't remember the differences between the 2006 version and 2009 version. Just know that the 09 and 13 versions differed from Miles to Avios, the recent has EMV chip prior did not, 1.25x vs 1.0x, etc.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by terpfan101
I've gotten the BA card three times. Once in 2006 for 25K miles, once in 2009 (pre Avios) for 100K miles, and once in February for 50+25+25 Avios. I believe that is because each one was a different "card" though I can't remember the differences between the 2006 version and 2009 version. Just know that the 09 and 13 versions differed from Miles to Avios, the recent has EMV chip prior did not, 1.25x vs 1.0x, etc.
Ha! Actually I was indeed thinking of you when I said that. You are one of the three people I know who's reported churning this card successfully.^

Though based on your dates, it's very possible that they could have been different cards, in which case you'd be guaranteed to receive the bonus.
Old May 21, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I applied for and received this card a few days ago. The odd thing, or at least a first for my experienced with Chase, is that they pulled two bureaus (Transunion and Experian in my case - normally they pull Transunion in my area). Looking at the Credit Pulls DB on Creditboards.com, I noticed a couple of others where 2 bureaus were pulled for the Hyatt card.

Not a big deal since I was approved, but it threw me off in my usual OCD planning for app sequencing. Also I wonder if it's a new trend for Chase. CapitalOne is notorious for pulling all 3 bureaus and I hate to see Chase moving to two.
Just curious if anyone else noticed this on their Hyatt, or other Chase apps?
Old May 21, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I applied for and received this card a few days ago. The odd thing, or at least a first for my experienced with Chase, is that they pulled two bureaus (Transunion and Experian in my case - normally they pull Transunion in my area). Looking at the Credit Pulls DB on Creditboards.com, I noticed a couple of others where 2 bureaus were pulled for the Hyatt card.

Not a big deal since I was approved, but it threw me off in my usual OCD planning for app sequencing. Also I wonder if it's a new trend for Chase. CapitalOne is notorious for pulling all 3 bureaus and I hate to see Chase moving to two.
Chase generally pulls Equifax for me. I keep the other two frozen to prevent a 2nd pull on other bureaus. Otherwise, I sometimes get two pulls myself. It's never kept me from getting a card approved.
Old May 22, 2013, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero

Yes, my last 2 apps with Chase, as well as my husband's 3 apps , Chase pulled Equifax and Experian. I thought it was just us, but I guess not.
Something to consider from now on. Not only that, but CITI did the same thing.
Old May 22, 2013, 9:04 pm

Just to update, Chase expedited our cards and we received them a few days after approval. Met the min spending on both cards the day we got them. Free nights were in our accounts probably a week later, and was able to book Grand Hyatt Tokyo for 4 nights with no problems. I also asked Chase to honor the $100 statement credit offer, which I couldn't find when I applied. They informed me that it had expired, but they did give us both a $50 statement credit, which is the current offer.

Very happy with how it all went, and am making an effort to stay at Hyatt's more. I stayed in a Hyatt Place last weekend, and was really happy with the service I received, compared with some similar options (Courtyard etc). We're planning to use our 2 free cat 4 nights in Park City next year (and will get there using the Plat Delta Amex companion cert). Will definitely hold on to the card, as those rooms during ski season are 500+/night. Makes up for the AF 5x+.
Old May 23, 2013, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by RhubarbPie
Just to update, Chase expedited our cards and we received them a few days after approval. Met the min spending on both cards the day we got them. Free nights were in our accounts probably a week later, and was able to book Grand Hyatt Tokyo for 4 nights with no problems. I also asked Chase to honor the $100 statement credit offer, which I couldn't find when I applied. They informed me that it had expired, but they did give us both a $50 statement credit, which is the current offer.

Very happy with how it all went, and am making an effort to stay at Hyatt's more. I stayed in a Hyatt Place last weekend, and was really happy with the service I received, compared with some similar options (Courtyard etc). We're planning to use our 2 free cat 4 nights in Park City next year (and will get there using the Plat Delta Amex companion cert). Will definitely hold on to the card, as those rooms during ski season are 500+/night. Makes up for the AF 5x+.
I'm a huge fan of Hyatt as well and plan on getting the Hyatt card for me and the wife later this year or early next year. The points redemption is easy, their benefits tie so easily into my other cards (CSP transfer to Hyatt, United Club giving Platinum status), and the properties are in places that I want to stay at.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:31 am

How long to wait to contact Chase about Ink Bold app?

I applied for the INk Bold, my first Business Card app, and received a response it can take up to 30 days for a response.

I wanted to use the CC within the next 2-3 weeks. HOw long should I wait to contact Chase about if I was approved or not and what number should I use? Will thy expedite the card if you request?
Old May 26, 2013, 11:30 am

Mods. Can we please sticky this thread?
Old May 26, 2013, 11:33 am

I usually call them within a few minutes.
Try (800) 453-9719.

A better suited thread for questions like this (without creating a new thread) would be
Applying for Chase credit cards (Consolidated)

The WIKI there has all the numbers you'd need.

Cheers.
Old May 27, 2013, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Two quick questions

Hi, anybody know the answers to these quick questiosn?

1) I just applied for and was approved for the United Mileage Plus Explorer card. Can I also apply for an get a Chase Sapphire card if I already got this one?

2) I am a UA 1K. Currently, as a 1K, I get my annual fee refunded fro the United mileage Plus Awards card. Do you know if the they will refund the annual fee for 1K's for the mileage plus explorer card?

Thanks!
Old May 29, 2013, 10:42 am

add churn rules to wiki

I'm not sure what is the rule thumb for churning chase cards and now this question gets asked all the time. Can someone add the general role for churning char carts to the wiki on this thread. I recall either 12 months or 18 months but is this from approval date or card closing date?

General rule for the min about of time you should keep a card open before closing added to wiki as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.