Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JP Morgan Palladium Card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA EP; Formerly an Over-Entitled UA 1K MM until I wised-up and left UA for AA.
Originally Posted by richarddd
That's the biggest question many of us have about the chip & signature cards - whether they'll work in unattended kiosks and the like. Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated.
update:
i have now used the chip and signature palladium visa card many times in attended checkouts that have machines that read chipped cards only. the card has worked flawlessly every time -- the cashier just hands over the docket to me to sign.

to date i have only been able to attempt purchases in two unattended venues that required chipped cards. the first was to purchase a tram ticket in munich (the machine only showed the maestro (mc) logo, so i'm not comfortable that this was a fair test) and the second was a vending machine that had a strong air of out-of-order about it (so i'm not 100% comfortable with the validity of that test either). in both of these cases my purchase was rejected with an "unable to read card" error.

i will continue to try to find more unattended kiosks, but, from my flawed sampling thus far, it appears that chase's chip and signature cards do not work in unattended checkouts that require a chip and pin.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 3:26 pm

https://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp?...visa_signature

you can get one for $89 with UR
Old Jul 1, 2011, 1:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
you can get one for $89 with UR
The "Select" card is one of a few discussed in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...signature.html
Old Jul 5, 2011, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EP; Formerly an Over-Entitled UA 1K MM until I wised-up and left UA for AA.
Originally Posted by alemdohorizonte
i will continue to try to find more unattended kiosks, but, from my flawed sampling thus far, it appears that chase's chip and signature cards do not work in unattended checkouts that require a chip and pin.
the jp morgan chipped visa worked fine for a 100 pound purchase in the unattended virgin train ticket machines -- sans signature. although the slot looked as though it only supported chipped cards, i'm unsure of whether or not it would have read a mag striped card. i was hoping to use it on a tollway in france for a definitive test but ended up not renting a car.

when i get back to sydney, i'll try it in one of the many train ticket vending machines there that i know for certain only support chip and pin.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
the jp morgan chipped visa worked fine for a 100 pound purchase in the unattended virgin train ticket machines -- sans signature. although the slot looked as though it only supported chipped cards, i'm unsure of whether or not it would have read a mag striped card. i was hoping to use it on a tollway in france for a definitive test but ended up not renting a car.

when i get back to sydney, i'll try it in one of the many train ticket vending machines there that i know for certain only support chip and pin.
Thanks for your continued first hand experience. If you also get a chance, I'd like to know how that card works in some of the multi-readers that we have been seeing at some stores in the US as well. 7-Eleven in the US seems to be the best place to test it out as it has the Ingenico terminals which processes the contactless, the mag-stripe, and the chip in one single device.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: QR Plat, NZ*E, LT AA Plat, LT Bonvoy Plat + countless others
I just tried at 7-Eleven, no dice. The terminal did not even acknowledge when the card was inserted.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:22 pm

i have now used the chase palladium card multiple times in the automated train ticket vending machines here in australia. these only accept chipped cards. every time my card has worked.

the interesting twist is that after inserting the chip, in some machines the message is "enter pin or press ok" (i have tested both options in these machines and each (pin or ok) work). in other machines it only gives me the option "enter pin". if i put in a dummy pin the charge is rejected. when i use the pin that was set by chase (i thought only for cash withdrawals) the purchase is approved (and the charges is listed as a purchase--not a cash advance).

perhaps, as mia pointed out earlier, it has to do with the revision of software the machines are running. but at least here in australia, the card's pin functions as it should.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:25 am

further update

i have now used my chipped card many more times in chip only vending machines in australia. all purchases have gone through without problems.

i have continued to try to put dummy pin numbers in (i.e. 0000, 9999 or nothing at all) and each time i input a dummy pin, the charge is declined. once i put in the correct pin, the charge is always immediately approved. this has been the case 100% of the time.

so at least here in australia, chase's chip and signature card functions as a chip and pin card when no signature option is available.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
approved...

...approved for the Palladium. Had to go through private banking for the application. Extremely generous credit line to start with, comparable to what my Centurion can reach before I receive the mid-month early payment "shakedown call".

I'm not dropping the centurion, but its nice to have alternatives for high charge. I can now comfortably refuse an FR knowing I won't have the inconvenience of having to scramble for multiple high limit credit cards.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:12 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
...approved for the Palladium. Had to go through private banking for the application. Extremely generous credit line to start with, comparable to what my Centurion can reach before I receive the mid-month early payment "shakedown call".

I'm not dropping the centurion, but its nice to have alternatives for high charge. I can now comfortably refuse an FR knowing I won't have the inconvenience of having to scramble for multiple high limit credit cards.
Are you a private banking customer? If not what did they require?

My financial guy just told me he could get me a Centurion if I want(after asking if they are going to do anything to enhance their product), debating the offer even though I turned the Cent invite down years ago... Just wish someone would offer a competitive product in terms of the statuses and perks.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
I've lobbed in an application. Let's see what happens.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 6:10 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by mlad1101
Are you a private banking customer? If not what did they require?

My financial guy just told me he could get me a Centurion if I want(after asking if they are going to do anything to enhance their product), debating the offer even though I turned the Cent invite down years ago... Just wish someone would offer a competitive product in terms of the statuses and perks.
I applied last Friday and was approved on Monday. I am NOT a private banking customer and was able to obtain an approval. I don't know the requirements but would imagine it's spotless credit report and a low debt to income ratio. Probably less about your income/assets and more your ability to pay on time.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 8:24 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Austin99
I applied last Friday and was approved on Monday. I am NOT a private banking customer and was able to obtain an approval. I don't know the requirements but would imagine it's spotless credit report and a low debt to income ratio. Probably less about your income/assets and more your ability to pay on time.
Thanks for the response, was wondering if it was based on bank statements etc. or a credit pull.

If they up the benefits for this card, I'll def. apply.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by mlad1101
Thanks for the response, was wondering if it was based on bank statements etc. or a credit pull.

If they up the benefits for this card, I'll def. apply.
I was expecting them to ask for financials but that never happened, only an EX credit pull.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:50 am

Just out of curiosity, if you know...(or anyone else)

Are AU cards the metal version as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.