FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JP Morgan Palladium Card
View Single Post
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:22 pm
alemdohorizonte

Programs: AA EP; Formerly an Over-Entitled UA 1K MM until I wised-up and left UA for AA.
Originally Posted by alemdohorizonte
the jp morgan chipped visa worked fine for a 100 pound purchase in the unattended virgin train ticket machines -- sans signature. although the slot looked as though it only supported chipped cards, i'm unsure of whether or not it would have read a mag striped card. i was hoping to use it on a tollway in france for a definitive test but ended up not renting a car.

when i get back to sydney, i'll try it in one of the many train ticket vending machines there that i know for certain only support chip and pin.
i have now used the chase palladium card multiple times in the automated train ticket vending machines here in australia. these only accept chipped cards. every time my card has worked.

the interesting twist is that after inserting the chip, in some machines the message is "enter pin or press ok" (i have tested both options in these machines and each (pin or ok) work). in other machines it only gives me the option "enter pin". if i put in a dummy pin the charge is rejected. when i use the pin that was set by chase (i thought only for cash withdrawals) the purchase is approved (and the charges is listed as a purchase--not a cash advance).

perhaps, as mia pointed out earlier, it has to do with the revision of software the machines are running. but at least here in australia, the card's pin functions as it should.