Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX Status Match

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2009, 2:20 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
I just sent off a request to have my CO Gold comped to MPC Gold. I sent an email to the MPC address and attached PDFs of my CO end-2008 statement and my CO Gold card. I signed up for MPC beforehand, and hope that might help even a wee bit.
I think you might have a shot for two reasons:

1.) CX definitely wants more loyalty, because J and F pax are falling off a cliff
2.) I have a few friends/colleagues who were comped gold status with very little verification whatsoever, just my knowledge of someone at MPC and them knowing my flying patterns as DM

But don't be disappointed if you don't get it...because SL on CX is actually quite useful as well (much better than the US lowest elite level), and also because it is far easier to get GO on CO than GO on CX. GO on CO might be, from a revenue standpoint at CX, even less than many CX SL members. Welcome to the world of CX's high fares, Y fares that don't count for elite miles at all (and full-fare Y fares that give you just 100% miles), J class that only gives you 125%, no auto-upgrades...etc.etc.etc.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 5:26 pm

Programs: FB Platinum but have moved to BA OneWorld
Originally Posted by JALlover
Is AF/KL really that bad now?
I have no idea about them now, since the last one I went on one was back in 2002..quite long ago and it was a pleasant epxerience that time
Believe me, it is bad. It is ridicelous actually. I am a 5 year consecutive platinum at AF/KL and I have stopped all my business with them after April 1. Unfortunately one C-flight to the US I had already booked but from now on I am flying BA. Just looking for a status match from a OneWorld airline. Too bad BA does not match... I will give them appr. 15 intercontinental C-class flights a year and another 30 within Europe...

AF/KL does not just suck for their FFP by the way. Their BC is pretty bad compared to others and CDG is a horrible airport where delays are normal especially for AF.

If you like to be treated like a little child and get ripped off with 'additional' charges when booking an award ticket, AF/KL is the place to go!
Old Apr 22, 2009, 8:47 am

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
Originally Posted by BizzBuzz
Believe me, it is bad. It is ridicelous actually. I am a 5 year consecutive platinum at AF/KL and I have stopped all my business with them after April 1. Unfortunately one C-flight to the US I had already booked but from now on I am flying BA. Just looking for a status match from a OneWorld airline. Too bad BA does not match... I will give them appr. 15 intercontinental C-class flights a year and another 30 within Europe...

AF/KL does not just suck for their FFP by the way. Their BC is pretty bad compared to others and CDG is a horrible airport where delays are normal especially for AF.

If you like to be treated like a little child and get ripped off with 'additional' charges when booking an award ticket, AF/KL is the place to go!
Until the end of the month Finnair, also oneworld member is matching Eurobonus Gold/Pandion members, and LH SEN-s to AY Gold, read more at Finnair or SAS forum.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:47 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by Fims
Until the end of the month Finnair, also oneworld member is matching Eurobonus Gold/Pandion members, and LH SEN-s to AY Gold, read more at Finnair or SAS forum.
From my own previous experience AY status is well recognized when flying CX.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 2:55 pm

CX Status Match

I requested MP Diamond status match based on 1K UAL status. After two weeks, I was offered MP Silver. I wrote back politely declining the offer. I told them I would be traveling on CX several times over the next few months in F. If they didn't at least match to Gold, I would stick to UAL. I haven't heard back yet.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 3:13 pm

Programs: CX Silver, Ex-*A Silver, Marriott-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by romeoguy
I requested MP Diamond status match based on 1K UAL status. After two weeks, I was offered MP Silver. I wrote back politely declining the offer. I told them I would be traveling on CX several times over the next few months in F. If they didn't at least match to Gold, I would stick to UAL. I haven't heard back yet.
Are all these Full F is with you? show them the booking reference and try again. But I think Diamond is sometime really earn by years and revenue.
To me silver is good enough for a match this time of the year...maybe i am wrong, good luck
Old Apr 30, 2009, 3:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
I think I remember reading somewhere here before, that someone was indeed given DM after a good number of very frequent F flights, but, only AFTER these are flown. he's also asked to start at SL/GO despite all the F bookings...

but, well, if you're flying F anyway, what else does DM bring you ?

there's a few things, but not too important, at least to me - buggy at HKIA, 2 guests to the lounge (but F can also bring one guest, or no? I'm not sure), J lounge access when not flying CX/oneworld, extra luggage allowance...what else ?
Old Apr 30, 2009, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Yes, I agree - if you're flying F anyway then status is more or less irrelevant, and certainly not a reason to take UA instead of CX - that would just be the most extreme example of cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I agree with christep. If you're already flying F, why bother with a comp to MPC Gold? Just something to have in your wallet? MPC Gold is good for seat guarantee in economy up to 72 hours. Hardly worth it if you say you only fly up front.

You might be better off getting an AA Platinum challenge and then fly a few AA sectors for that.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 6:19 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I agree with the last few posts. DM membership will not get much if the passenger is already flying F.

If the passenger already has a 1K status and if the DM status is the decision factor, he should probably stick with UA. He can continue to enjoy 100% tier bonus and possibly become a GS soon. A GS status will be very useful as he is in the Bay Area.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 9:41 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Something doesn't sound right about this...if you're flying full F on UA, Global Services status for you shouldn't be that hard to come by, definitely not 1K. A client of mine has it and usually only does one full-fare F round-trip on UA long-haul monthly, and even then sometimes he substitutes with LH metal to Europe...and according to him that's questionable he's even getting GS credit for that (although I'm sure the UA forum can clarify). I'm assuming you realize CX doesn't mark J class in their two-class planes as "F" class, like AA and UA do frequently. F is only present in a three-class plane.

I think a lot of US-based travelers come to Asia with 1K or AA Exec Plat status and don't realize that people based in Asia, in my experience, tend to 1.) travel a lot more than their US-based counterparts and 2.) spend heaps more on their airline bills. Someone flying regularly long-haul J on CX could spend up to $60-$70k a year on CX metal alone - ie, they might pend $80k a year on tickets, of which 70-80% is spent on CX planes - while right now (aka, this moment) I'm pretty sure UA is doing 3x elite miles for full fare Y, and 2x elite miles for discount Y!!! You could get 1k right now just doing 7 round-trips of $1400 full Y-class JFK-SFO, or 14 JFK-SFO round-trips at around $400-$500. Hmmmm. That type of promotion just doesn't happen on CX.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
I very much agree. I think CX wants revenue. 1K itself won't be enough for DM. I think I read about the requirement for GS before and it isn't that high at all, right, in terms of revenue ? something like USD 25-50k or so ? many MPO GO can easily reach it already.

if you cannot show them you're GS with UA, they probably are not that interested in converting a low-value 1K to become a low-value DM. I think even GS 1P (which I think exists now?) is better than a non-GS 1K.
Old May 3, 2009, 5:36 am

Programs: UA,DL,CZ
Originally Posted by ThrustReverse
Just explained that I´m considering switching my business to Cathay... and so on! Plus copys, scans & screenshots of my card, account, travel history!

Dear Mr XXX

Thank you for your email.

Having reviewed your travel history, we should be delighted to enrol you
as a Silver tier member of The Marco Polo Club, free of charge.

If you wish to accept this offer, please complete the attached ?Marco
Polo Club Application Form? and then return by email, or fax to +852
2412 5946. We will then process your membership pack as quickly as
possible.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards
Can you let us know which email address or fax# did you use to communicate with Cathay Pacific?

It seems Cathay can do status match for all other airlines, not just AF/KLM, right?
Old May 3, 2009, 7:09 am

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
Why they doing all these status matches but refuse to renew sxc's DM is beyond me...
Old May 3, 2009, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by tylorcl
Can you let us know which email address or fax# did you use to communicate with Cathay Pacific?

It seems Cathay can do status match for all other airlines, not just AF/KLM, right?
uh,..as listed in your quote..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.