Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2011, 7:44 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by kaka
btw, can someone here sum up HKG-based CUP usage in HK?
for that i know: the big 2 supermarkets, SHKP and HK Wharf shopping malls, Regal hotels, and...?
Here's an interesting post about what Unionpay cards Cathay itself accepts for inflight purchases:

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=6266

望到CX俾cabin crew o既newsletter,其中有講佢o地inflight sales可以用到更多本地銀行o既銀聯卡,我望一望個list,大鑊...

未Update之前,只受中銀香港/澳門、集友、南洋同大豐發出o既本地銀聯卡,而家佢o地雖然update完,但唔係全部本地銀行出o既銀聯 信用卡都受,而家受o既包括:
AEON、東亞、建行、創興、恆生、匯豐

交通同永隆,Sorry,仲未受你玩!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 3:40 am

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Just asked ShaComm to increase my limit so that I can use the Card to pay for my tax

Not too bad...for reference: $100k = 20k pts (2,500 miles).
Old Dec 12, 2011, 3:44 am

With end of the year looming close, will transfer some of my pts to AM:
BankComm CUP Diamond - 120k pts = 15k miles
StanChart AMEX - 1.2m pts = 80k miles
HSBC - 800 RewardCash (more to come and not yet credited from the Mannings promo) = 12k miles

Total: 107k miles

The only card with "substantial" leftover pts will be SCB Platinum Visa and will wait till it reaches 10k before transferring the miles over.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
With end of the year looming close, will transfer some of my pts to AM:
BankComm CUP Diamond - 120k pts = 15k miles
StanChart AMEX - 1.2m pts = 80k miles
HSBC - 800 RewardCash (more to come and not yet credited from the Mannings promo) = 12k miles

Total: 107k miles

The only card with "substantial" leftover pts will be SCB Platinum Visa and will wait till it reaches 10k before transferring the miles over.
1. Unless you need the miles, you should only transfer on imminent expiry days, to minimise fees.

2. Or when a devaluation is imminent in BankComm's case

3. You can pool Stanchart Plat Visa with Stanchart Amex. For your $300 fee (unavoidable if you want to transfer out of SCB AE) SCB is nice enough to allow you to exhaust your (three year expiry and non-Moneyback transferrable) Stanchart Amex first, and top off with as much Stanchart Plat points (no expiry date) as you like.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
Just asked ShaComm to increase my limit so that I can use the Card to pay for my tax

Not too bad...for reference: $100k = 20k pts (2,500 miles).
Did you also go for BEA's $10,000 payment for 10,000 points (1,250 miles) offer also? You can split your tax payments as much as you like, and if you have more than one BEA card you can schedule more than one $10,000 payment.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 9:56 pm

Programs: MPO, Aeroplan, SPG
So I went to Macau and made some purchases with 4 different credit cards, here are the rates I am getting:

Bankcomm Union Pay using HKD: 1.03000
Shanghai Commerical Bank Visa: 1.00890
Cathay Pacific AMEX: 1.02899
HSBC Visa: Awaiting for post

It seems like the Bankcomm is the best card to use in Macau followed by AMEX. The SCB Visa gave me a VERY VERY ...... rate. Is there any way I can complain about this? They are giving almost 1:1 when it should be 1:1.03. When I go to the Visa website http://corporate.visa.com/pd/consume...jsp?src=ex_rez I can't even see the conversion in MOP.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dasanii
So I went to Macau and made some purchases with 4 different credit cards, here are the rates I am getting:

It seems like the Bankcomm is the best card to use in Macau followed by AMEX. The SCB Visa gave me a VERY VERY ...... rate. Is there any way I can complain about this? They are giving almost 1:1 when it should be 1:1.03. When I go to the Visa website http://corporate.visa.com/pd/consume...jsp?src=ex_rez I can't even see the conversion in MOP.
i cant wait to see your HSBC visa rate... otehrwise i would get the HSBC Dual currancy CUP for next week's trip to macau (inc burning the welcome offer and the 5x selected promotion for forex spending)
Old Dec 14, 2011, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
1. Unless you need the miles, you should only transfer on imminent expiry days, to minimise fees.

2. Or when a devaluation is imminent in BankComm's case

3. You can pool Stanchart Plat Visa with Stanchart Amex. For your $300 fee (unavoidable if you want to transfer out of SCB AE) SCB is nice enough to allow you to exhaust your (three year expiry and non-Moneyback transferrable) Stanchart Amex first, and top off with as much Stanchart Plat points (no expiry date) as you like.
1. Agreed. My SCB Amex Visa pts will expire on Feb 2012. Since I don't have any more huge expenses for overseas transactions in the next 2 months, 80k miles will just be the amount that I will exhaust from my acct. Oh, and I don't have any Plat pts to exhaust too.

2. I also don't have any BEA Cards with me. Too much of a hassle to apply for all the cards. So, the tax payments will be done through ShaCommBank in one go before Dec 31, 2011.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Dasanii

I got 0.9709 (1.03) and 0.9791 (1.021) for my Bankcomm Unionpay Diamond and SCB AE respectively in September 2011 http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...hp?id=3939&p=2.

Sorry, didn't get a Visa/MC rate. I saw a 0.9910 (1.0091) rate for BEA Visa for October 2010 http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=4395 - not sure if they're comparable (the Unionpay rate listed for 2010 is similar to my 2011 rate, the Amex is not).

Last edited by percysmith; Dec 14, 2011 at 2:33 am
Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:27 am

DCC in Macau

Just read a post @ hongkongcard.com documenting a non-optional DCC of 1.0035 rate @ Gosto, Galaxy Macau http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...hp?id=6261&p=1

The OP accepted the DCC rate anyway as he wanted to take advantage of a 15% DBS discount http://hk.dbs.com/en/consumer/credit...05_galaxy.html but only had a DBS MC on him.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 8:55 am
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Woah... This makes me want to push forward the hsbc cup application... Not sure if i can get my card before next fri tho...
Old Dec 15, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, JAL Sapphire
Gasoline discount?

Hi,

Sorry, this is not related to CX per se, but please don't bash me.

What is the best way to get gasoline discounts? I currently have a Caltex Star card, but the Caltex station nearby is closing down.

I guess I can do Esso Smile/BOC Esso card. The BOC Esso card points can also be used as discount or convert to Asia Miles (here is my link to this forum ). But how good is Esso's deal?

Thanks.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Chihster
Hi,

Sorry, this is not related to CX per se, but please don't bash me.

What is the best way to get gasoline discounts? I currently have a Caltex Star card, but the Caltex station nearby is closing down.

I guess I can do Esso Smile/BOC Esso card. The BOC Esso card points can also be used as discount or convert to Asia Miles (here is my link to this forum ). But how good is Esso's deal?

Thanks.
im not so much of a OT basher - as long as the OTness stays "local"...
anyway, Consumer Council made this:
http://www.consumer.org.hk/pricewatch/oilwatch/

the 3 graphs are pure cash price but at the bottom where the PDF is contains more info re credit card / loyalty bonus.
i don't know whether or not these companies allow double up (credit card discount + loyalty bonus points) so ymmv.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:16 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not that good with oil brands, since my family is stuck with Shell. Have looked into the Citibank Shell card but that earns cash rebate only, no AM.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by percysmith
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not that good with oil brands, since my family is stuck with Shell. Have looked into the Citibank Shell card but that earns cash rebate only, no AM.
That card is pretty much 8% for gas part and 1-3% for retail depending on how much u spend on gas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.