Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore - Hong Kong travel bubble

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2021, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
I thought they just cut the quota in half.

How realistic is Australia "opening" to the world?

Vaccine confusion, supply, all are problems to "opening"
if you have read the news and you would know that there will be stages n right now they are trying to increase their vaccination rate first before they can reach the stage of opening up.

I did not say that they will open up immediately.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 6:23 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
if you have read the news and you would know that there will be stages n right now they are trying to increase their vaccination rate first before they can reach the stage of opening up.

I did not say that they will open up immediately.
Australia does not have a clear vaccination path. AZ vaccine is clearly a failure. I am still not sure what’s the role of AZ vaccine to the younger people. Can they take or not? Will the government indemnify the risk of AZ vaccine to younger people. And AZ vaccine is the foundation of its strategy.

Japan would be an opposite of Australia. It quickly changed its strategy away from AZ and have enough Pfizer on order to vaccinate enough this year. It has donated its AZ vaccine to Taiwan and others.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 7:59 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Japan would be an opposite of Australia. It quickly changed its strategy away from AZ and have enough Pfizer on order to vaccinate enough this year. It has donated its AZ vaccine to Taiwan and others.
Its vaccination rate is nothing to write home about. Its legal system offers little protection to manufacturers.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Its vaccination rate is nothing to write home about. Its legal system offers little protection to manufacturers.
At least Japan will receive almost 200 million Pfizer by fall.

Will Australia continue to depend on AstraZeneca? I remember I read Pfizer Australia orders will be delivered later this year.

Situation can change fast. People hesitating to vaccinate may change their mind very fast given the rise of cases of new variants. Always easier to have ready supply.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Australia does not have a clear vaccination path. AZ vaccine is clearly a failure. I am still not sure what’s the role of AZ vaccine to the younger people. Can they take or not? Will the government indemnify the risk of AZ vaccine to younger people. And AZ vaccine is the foundation of its strategy.

Japan changed its strategy, but itt has reached a point where Pfizer supply is currently insufficient and slows vaccination.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by brunos
Japan changed its strategy, but itt has reached a point where Pfizer supply is currently insufficient and slows vaccination.
some report says Japan should have received 100 million doses of Pfizer and another 70 million between now and September.

So far, Japan has only administered less than 50 million doses.

Highly unlikely that the wastage is that high.

Last edited by freed0m; Jul 2, 2021 at 10:35 am
Old Jul 2, 2021, 9:57 pm

Programs: CX ows, DL E+
Any updates regarding the actual SIN-HKG travel bubble corridor?
Old Jul 3, 2021, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by Sozee
Any updates regarding the actual SIN-HKG travel bubble corridor?
A update is suppoed to be provided by the two governments in "early July".... though given the different views on how to live with COVID, I think the bubble (or whaterver you call it) is dead
Old Jul 8, 2021, 11:10 pm

Two of the LegCo member have ask HKG to cancel so call bubble or corridor after SIN change their policy. They claim that it is not safe to do so. So based on this, I think HKG can just close off their border n just open up with Macau n China will do.

Recently one HK resident took a TR flight from HKG (27/6) and transit for few hours at changi n travel via TR 18 (28/6). This guy was tested positive on 29/6 in MEL. But it seem like one of the above LegCo member n another expert have claim that this guy caught the virus during transit at Changi. Seem like they are trying to find scapegoat. So a person who transit at changi for 6-7hours can immediately tested positive upon arrival at MEL if he really caught the virus at changi.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 11:58 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
... it’s infuriating that SIN/HK are trying for 0 as the standard.

Zero is never possible on a long time line.

HK is about stopping the protests, and bringing western business to its knees to Beijing. It’s not public health.
China feeling so victorious in eliminating the virus from its soil (provided that their figures are true) is reluctant to accept the worldwide reality that COVID is not going away despite the reported high vaccination rate.

HK is caught in a dilemma: either open to the world (and not able to open border with Macau or mainland), or follow mainland China's standard in dealing with outsiders entering Chinese soil (long compulsory quarantine period)...
Old Jul 9, 2021, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by royng
HK is caught in a dilemma: either open to the world (and not able to open border with Macau or mainland), or follow mainland China's standard in dealing with outsiders entering Chinese soil (long compulsory quarantine period)...
This alone does not work very well, except in China.

Both Vietnam and Taiwan have failed miserably and Australia and New Zealand don't fare much better, either.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 12:53 am

Programs: Qatar PLAT
This alone does not work very well, except in China.

Both Vietnam and Taiwan have failed miserably and Australia and New Zealand don't fare much better, either.
Well not really for Taiwan tho, everything seems surprisingly under controlled now. The case surge in early May actually helped Taiwan in a way, no one was keen on getting vaccinated before then : (

However, Vietnam is indeed stuck in a very tricky position.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Pascal Liu
Well not really for Taiwan tho, everything seems surprisingly under controlled now. The case surge in early May actually helped Taiwan in a way, no one was keen on getting vaccinated before then : (

However, Vietnam is indeed stuck in a very tricky position.
Taiwan is better in international standard now, but certainly not up to mainland standard.

If Hong Kong was anywhere like where Taiwan was in the last 2,3 months, China and Macau would have been closed to it anyway. So no difference from now.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
Two of the LegCo member have ask HKG to cancel so call bubble or corridor after SIN change their policy. They claim that it is not safe to do so. So based on this, I think HKG can just close off their border n just open up with Macau n China will do.

Recently one HK resident took a TR flight from HKG (27/6) and transit for few hours at changi n travel via TR 18 (28/6). This guy was tested positive on 29/6 in MEL. But it seem like one of the above LegCo member n another expert have claim that this guy caught the virus during transit at Changi. Seem like they are trying to find scapegoat. So a person who transit at changi for 6-7hours can immediately tested positive upon arrival at MEL if he really caught the virus at changi.
news is saying Singapore may not allow the 1 million Hong Kong people vaccinated with Sinovac to join the bubble/corridor. politically I think it is very hard for China (incl Hong Kong) to accept and that's why those LegCo members are saying might as well give it up
Old Jul 9, 2021, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by apsrinomecker
news is saying Singapore may not allow the 1 million Hong Kong people vaccinated with Sinovac to join the bubble/corridor. politically I think it is very hard for China (incl Hong Kong) to accept and that's why those LegCo members are saying might as well give it up
That rumor has no credibility. Sinovac is approved by WHO and used in Singapore through special access, too, though not officially endorsed by the government.

The most I see is that Singapore is going to require PCR tests for those vaccinated with vaccine other than Pfizer BioNTech or Moderna.
Reply1984 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.