Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
This thread is to discuss the facts and practical implications of the China ruling on airspace and Cathay crew flying through the airspace.

For non-CX impact on travel to HK, please go to this thread in HK/Macau https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong...ns-travel.html

If you would like to discuss the political motivations or opinions on this, please go to this thread in OMNI/PR https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...-protests.html
Print Wikipost

CX Banned (kind of) by China

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep
This demonstrates a complete misunderstanding of the legal system in Hong Kong. It is not within the remit of the police to make such decisions - it was the decision of a judge. Unlike China (where all state entities are subservient to the Communist Party) in Hong Kong the judiciary is independent of the police and of the prosecution (which is part of the Department of Justice).
sorry my fault. yes you're correct it's the judge... I already gave back all my EPA knowledge to my school teachers lollll
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:42 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by christep
I'd like a link to the video please, otherwise that gets filed under Fake News.

(i dont type chinese so it took me a while to locate the video).

after this video, i saw post on KA secret about this and they were saying the FA was being bullied by others.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by adamak
Stupid question. Is there any aviation / international law that prevent a country from making such ban based on their made-up ideology? Can a country ban pilots / airlines from flying through their airspace because they don't believe in serving alcohol or smoking or wearing make up or whatever? CX staff are (occasionally) protesting during off hours which is not illegal in HK. I can understand not issuing visa or banning them from entering China. But banning an airline from flying through airspace because of employee off hours activities is crazy.
Countries have control of their airspace, they can decide who to allow to fly over them.

Having a pilot or crew known to have anti-China sentiments will be deemed to be a risk to national security. He might suddenly think of crashing the plane into China.
moondog, cxlabase, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by peasant

As HK operates under ‘innocent until proven guilty’ I would presume that unless the court has decided to detain the suspect pending trial, stopping crew from flying would not be done.
CX is a corporation and not the court, different rules might apply. For your reference my company would suspend me from my role immediately if I was charged with a criminal offense.
moondog, m.y, dav662 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:40 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Just the pilot arrested for riot case, and only the pilot case:

Wasn't Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah's pro-Anwar views cited against him in MH370's investigation?

CAAC's ban goes far above and beyond that, of course.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Yes countries can ban individuals flying in their airspace. Every passenger who flies over US is cleared to fly or in other words anyone on a no fly list cannot fly over the US airspace. I also think we have to look at the actual wording in which it quotes, " Illegal protests" "Violent actions" "overly radical activities". Also the Pilot was charged with rioting and furthermore CX staff had leaked a passenger manifest which involved the HK Police Football team. So I presume that the staff who took part in the legal demonstrations are not included in this and some particular staff who took part in the rioting and illegal protests are involved.
What this highlights is that the Chinese Authorities know exactly who is involved in this though they personally have not got themselves involved directly. As for CX, it is in a no win situation. Damned if they did it and damned it they didn't provide the list.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 4:18 am

After EVA strike, some crew made the comment in social media that she would spike the drink/food for those crew who didnt participate the strike and passengers who dont share their views.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 4:26 am

There seems to be some reports about crew members revealing passenger data to 3rd party, and protesters were tipped off to confront these people upon arrival

Not sure if this is true, but if it was, then it's inappropriate

Brgds
dav662 and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by KUL1971
There seems to be some reports about crew members revealing passenger data to 3rd party, and protesters were tipped off to confront these people upon arrival

Not sure if this is true, but if it was, then it's inappropriate

Brgds
yes. that is true. a team of police and fireman went to China for sports competition and their travel details were revealed in a group.

the reality is that it is considered as appropriate action. i even know a kindergarden kid of a police is being bullied in school. apparently, it is considered okay at some school. in fact, a vice principal of a school wrote publicly that he sincerely wish kids of black police wont survive past 7 years old
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:44 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by percysmith
Just the pilot arrested for riot case, and only the pilot case:

Wasn't Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah's pro-Anwar views cited against him in MH370's investigation?
Cathay Pacific sacks two ground staff over passenger information leak and says pilot charged over Hong Kong protests has been removed from flying duties
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...eased-security
alpaalpa likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:12 am

That article also says about a pilot making an announcement on the PA system about adding oil which I think is a slogan of the protestors and in reality should not be used on a flight by a pilot. I think this is another pilot that may get grounded.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by dav662
That article also says about a pilot making an announcement on the PA system about adding oil which I think is a slogan of the protestors and in reality should not be used on a flight by a pilot. I think this is another pilot that may get grounded.
"Add oil" is not a specific protest slogan, but rather a common expression of encouragement in Cantonese (and other Chinese dialects as well). This occurrence happened on the day of the first airport sit-in, and the pilot was advising passengers in English of what to expect in the Arrivals Hall. The audio of that announcement went viral, if you'd like to listen to it for yourself:
. The piece of it that you are referring to was the last sentence, in Cantonese, in which he simply said "Hong Kongers add oil, be careful in all that you do".
christep and Sozee like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:26 am

OK I don't speak any Chinese and only saw what it was said in the news on adding oil.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dav662
OK I don't speak any Chinese and only saw what it was said in the news on adding oil.
Maybe someone else can improve, but I think a more natural-English interpretation might be 'Hong Kong people take heart, and take care in all things.'

To my ear the announcement sounds generally informative and is not sloganeering, but the captain subtly voices his sympathy for the protesters at the end.
christep, wrp96 and dav662 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
My only question about this ruling is why CX/KA being singled out...what about other carriers with HK based crew? Does it mean that no one from HX or UO participated in the demonstrations?
dav662 and cx4ever like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.