Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
This thread is to discuss the facts and practical implications of the China ruling on airspace and Cathay crew flying through the airspace.

For non-CX impact on travel to HK, please go to this thread in HK/Macau https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong...ns-travel.html

If you would like to discuss the political motivations or opinions on this, please go to this thread in OMNI/PR https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...-protests.html
Print Wikipost

CX Banned (kind of) by China

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: Flying Blue/Platinum, TK/Elite Plus, QR/Platinum, LH/FTL, Marriott/Platinum
Originally Posted by Unionruler
So you are okay with precedent being set that an aviation regulator can subject a single airline to personnel screening regulations of a political nature overnight
Don't know how you arrived at this conclusion all of a sudden... All I have to say, and have been saying, is I don't see why UA/AA realistically have any interests in siding with CX, full stop. Hope I've made myself clear.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by newflyer530
Don't know how you arrived at this conclusion all of a sudden... All I have to say, and have been saying, is I don't see why UA/AA realistically have any interests in siding with CX, full stop. Hope I've made myself clear.
In which case you must've misread my post. The interest I quoted was "fair treatment of airline crew". Not siding with CX.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: Flying Blue/Platinum, TK/Elite Plus, QR/Platinum, LH/FTL, Marriott/Platinum
UA/AA isn't subject to this discriminatory treatment, CX is. If UA/AA give their mandate by granting its crew extra layover to stage whatever protest or sit-in in HKG, don't know what it is if this is not solidarity with CX? Take a step back, why would they want to irritate the Chinese authorities and risk their business there?

I'm gonna stop here, pointless to discuss such a highly illusional presumption...
dav662 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Unionruler
So you are okay with precedent being set that an aviation regulator can subject a single airline to personnel screening regulations of a political nature overnight
Flying through Chinese airspace is a privilege, not a right. Also, I would not want someone who just took part in an anti-US protest to be piloting my flight to the US so I cannot fault the Chinese for not wanting the same.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aceofangel

This has already happened and the pilot was allowed to keep flying. It is what set off this to begin with.

Anyway the protests has morphed into anti-China protests so this isn’t surprising.
The HK police force specifically allow this pilot to fly and leave HK on job duties... I'm quite confused actually on the CAAC decision since they are literally saying HK Police Force IS WRONG...

BTW the protest is always about the 5 demands:
5 Demands from Hongkongers
1. Withdraw the extradition law amendment bill
2. Retract the characterization of the protests as “riots”
3. Full independent inquiry into police brutality
4. Unconditionally free all arrested protesters
5. Universal suffrage for both CE and LegCo elections

Some anti-China actions are from a few protesters but not majority. Actually it's quite interesting to notice that in local forum for the protests, those that propose anti-China actions got banned/scolded by the other protesters lol
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, QR Gold, IHG Gold
Flying through Chinese airspace is a privilege, not a right. Also, I would not want someone who just took part in an anti-US protest to be piloting my flight to the US so I cannot fault the Chinese for not wanting the same.

If you think that the protests are about HKers being anti-China, then I think either you check your sources for bias or you know extremely little about the reasons for what is going on. Most people in HK don't want independence from China, because that is impossible. They just want Carrie Lam, her Marie Antoinette behavior, and her utterly out-of-touch people gone.
flubber, fairhsa and Jackolee like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by shek3112
The HK police force specifically allow this pilot to fly and leave HK on job duties... I'm quite confused actually on the CAAC decision since they are literally saying HK Police Force IS WRONG...

BTW the protest is always about the 5 demands:
5 Demands from Hongkongers
1. Withdraw the extradition law amendment bill
2. Retract the characterization of the protests as “riots”
3. Full independent inquiry into police brutality
4. Unconditionally free all arrested protesters
5. Universal suffrage for both CE and LegCo elections

Some anti-China actions are from a few protesters but not majority. Actually it's quite interesting to notice that in local forum for the protests, those that propose anti-China actions got banned/scolded by the other protesters lol
Just saw the mod note so I’ll keep it short. On your first point the HK police made a judgement on HK. Similarly CAAC made a judgement regarding China. A pilot can be a danger to China but not to HK, so these don’t conflict. As for the protestors those are the smart ones, but the can of worms has already been opened, so a bit late.
dav662 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Werckmeister
If you think that the protests are about HKers being anti-China, then I think either you check your sources for bias or you know extremely little about the reasons for what is going on. Most people in HK don't want independence from China, because that is impossible. They just want Carrie Lam, her Marie Antoinette behavior, and her utterly out-of-touch people gone.
Haha actually not really... those HKers want the universal suffrage for CE, not Carrie steps down... (if Carrie is elected then i will be lol though)
dav662 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Just saw the mod note so I’ll keep it short. On your first point the HK police made a judgement on HK. Similarly CAAC made a judgement regarding China. A pilot can be a danger to China but not to HK, so these don’t conflict. As for the protestors those are the smart ones, but the can of worms has already been opened, so a bit late.
Hmm... never thought of thinking this in that way before. Totally agree with u and thanks for pointing this out!
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Stupid question. Is there any aviation / international law that prevent a country from making such ban based on their made-up ideology? Can a country ban pilots / airlines from flying through their airspace because they don't believe in serving alcohol or smoking or wearing make up or whatever? CX staff are (occasionally) protesting during off hours which is not illegal in HK. I can understand not issuing visa or banning them from entering China. But banning an airline from flying through airspace because of employee off hours activities is crazy.
fairhsa likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:42 am

Of course not - countries are sovereign and if they want to ban (say) any pilot over the age of 60 from overflying they can do so
dav662 and SFO_LOW_CLOUDS like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Does Air Canada need to submit crew list when overflying USA to Caribbean?

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publ...ions/airspace/
dav662 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:20 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by pbd456
Does Air Canada need to submit crew list when overflying USA to Caribbean?

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publ...ions/airspace/
Isn't there a no-fly list for passengers overflying US airspace as well as those arriving into US?
wrp96 and Jackolee like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:20 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by pbd456
there was a video about KA crew bullying an old man to get off metro due to political difference.
I'd like a link to the video please, otherwise that gets filed under Fake News.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:23 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by shek3112
The HK police force specifically allow this pilot to fly and leave HK on job duties...
This demonstrates a complete misunderstanding of the legal system in Hong Kong. It is not within the remit of the police to make such decisions - it was the decision of a judge. Unlike China (where all state entities are subservient to the Communist Party) in Hong Kong the judiciary is independent of the police and of the prosecution (which is part of the Department of Justice).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.